Kiddie Academy

Updated 2 August 2014

3.1

CEO

Kiddie Academy Review

Current Employee - Lead Teacher  in  Naperville, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Naperville, IL (US)

Pros

The director and my co-workers are very nice and welcoming. Any job where you work with children is awesome! The center is very nice, clean, and professional.

Cons

The owner does not seem to care or appreciate the employees and is only interested in making money. The hours are very long and the pay is not too good.

Be more understanding when it comes to the teachers. Our job is not that easy or simple.

I enjoy working at Kiddie Academy!

Pros

Hours are great
    Staff is close
    Owner is fantastic
    Parent and kids are great
    It's a job where you work hard, but also get to have fun

Cons

The hardest part of working there is almost constant drama. It's very "cliquey". If you can look past that, you will be fine.
    Pay is rather low. Especially for a lead teacher.

fun

Pros

nice teachers, wonderful children, friendly staff

Cons

very often we run out of napkins, paper towels, unorganized.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Curriculum needs work

Pros

Great looking school and doing very well financially. Director is very understanding and supportive. I haven't seen or heard much about corporate, but it seems most rules and regulations are up to the owner/director.

Cons

Because it's a franchise things will vary place to place. The curriculum is old and should be updated; and the location I work for will not let me write my own (other than occasional substitutions). Very strict time off policy.

Please please please update the curriculum. Many books cannot be found online or in stores anymore. Many activities/recipes call for nuts/peanuts and most schools are "nut-free zones" these days. The curriculum is also very obviously written for schools on the east coast.

Alright place

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Leesburg, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leesburg, VA (US)

Pros

Being able to connect with kids, flexibility and some freedom to implement your own curriculum, plenty of training sessions granted they weren't helpful in my weaknesses.

Cons

Lack of direction/help especially with classroom management, lack of benefits, lack of materials to help classrooms, high turnover of staff

Be open to ideas from staff and other teachers

great place to work

Former Employee - Lead Teacher  in  Nesconset, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Nesconset, NY (US)

Pros

Fun supportive place to work if you like working with kids

Cons

none that i can think of

support your teachers

Corporate atmosphere

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Abingdon, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Abingdon, MD (US)

Pros

Many managers are supportive, helpful, and in your corner. Leadership can be open to new ideas & different opinions. Corporate employees enjoy some fun events, such as a nice holiday party, etc.

Cons

Corporate atmosphere needlessly rigid in areas that have little impact on job performance, etc. The dress code, for example, is highly strict - even for employees that have no contact with customers. There is no option to work from home, regardless of the circumstances. If you have a slight cold, your options are to take one of your alloted days off or to go in anyway.

Sad to be moving on- really have loved KA!

Current Employee - Lead Teacher  in  League City, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher in League City, TX (US)

Pros

Owners and management are like family. They establish a great working environment. I have been attending college to finish my Early Childhood degree during my employment and they've really been great about working with my schedule. I love my co workers and am going to miss them :-( If I had children I would absolutely bring them here. They also let us do fun things like Jean Friday and pay for our continuing ed.

Cons

I think working with children in general can be hard some days. But any job will have hard days right? The director was supportive when we had issues though.

Keep doing what your doing and the school will remain the best!

Unappreciated.

Former Employee - Teacher  in  Holly Spring, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Teacher in Holly Spring, NC (US)

Pros

Childcare discount ..That is it.

Cons

Lack of communication is number 1. There is no work life balance. Owners do not give raises unless you take classes no matter how wonderful of a teacher you are and you have to practically beg for that. Bonus at the end of the year is solely based on attendance which means if you are late more then twice in a year and called out more then once you are disqualified from getting it no matter how great of a teacher you are. They will not help you with your education expense at all. No sick day's and if you call out they take time away from you. The only reason I stayed is because i loved the children.

Empathy, Treat people the way YOU want to be treated. Appreciate the GOOD employees you have. Stop rewarding people solely on their attendance that should only be a part of the bonus. COST OF LIVING RAISE!!!!!! Something anything would be nice. The only incentive to do better is the children otherwise there is NONE!!!!! And the Owner/Director needs to put the children first not her bank account.

Had such amazing potential, but ended up being a waste of time and energy

Former Employee - Lead Teacher  in  Crystal Lake, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Crystal Lake, IL (US)

Pros

Fantastic co-workers and director, loved having access to ready-to-use curriculum

Cons

Absolutely terrible management by owner(s), awful pay, very little follow-through on promises and agreements

Go to school for either business/management or child care - owners should be allowed to stay in a room alone with children. You hired great teachers, but they will not stick around if they can't live off of what you pay them. Be consistent - don't promise or threaten something without actually doing it. Be open to new marketing and PR ideas - center will NOT grow without spending more than $3 on advertising. So much more to suggest, but it would take much too long to type!

Worked for Kiddie Academy? Contribute to the Community!