Kindercare
www.kindercare.com 5000+ Employees

Kindercare Reviews

Updated Apr 06, 2014
Kindercare – Fairfax – “teacher boards”

Kindercare CEO Elanna S. Yalow

Elanna S. Yalow

Pros:
  • "Working with children infant - school age is truly a rewarding experience"
    in 5 reviews
  • "If you want to make a difference in a child life, good experience doing that"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "low pay, not many chances to move up within company"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Abusive Upper-Management especially at a regional level"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Kindercare :)

I have been working at Kindercare full-time

ProsAmazing staff, great location, it is wonderful profession, and there are professional development days twice a year. It's a fun place to work in.

ConsThere have been times when my hours were cut which I didn't like. Also, the pay is not the best considering that I have a B.S. Working with a bunch of women can also be problematic.

Could have been better...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Kindercare full-time

ProsThe people you work with really do love the kids.

ConsThe pay was menial, 10 hours days, management did not observe out of ratio classes, no sick or vacation days until after a year...

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate the teachers that are giving 100% everyday. If you can't do it with pay or benefits, at least a "thank you" or "you're appreciated" will do.

If you want to help children thrive while their parents are working this is a good start to a career in childcare.

Lead Infant Teacher (Former Employee)
Mill Creek, WA (US)

I worked at Kindercare full-time for less than a year

ProsCoworkers do work together and have each others support when a day is long or particularly difficult. The parents in this area are great and I loved caring for their babies while they had to go to work. I also like that they provide parents with a sheet at the end of each day that shows what they have eaten, bathroom frequency and what they were taught or experienced each day. We are there to support the parents as well as the children, because it is hard to leave your infant and go back to work.

ConsNo overtime, usually no more than 38 hours for full time. Most cannot afford benifits such as medical insurance on the hourly wage offered. There is a lot of turnaround in childcare, which I also saw with this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that there is enough staff so that all teachers can have bathroom breaks when needed, without having to wait more than 5 or so minutes.

Kindercare is just about making money

Teacher (Former Employee)
South Brunswick Terrace, NJ (US)

I worked at Kindercare full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThey provide good benefits. We had a lot of kids in our center from very good and educated families. The school was pretty good at getting rid of extremely challenging kids because they did not want complaints from all the other parents.

ConsThere was a lot of shuffling of the kids through out the day to keep the classroom in ratio. Most of the parents were ignorant about what was going on. They thought their kids were transitioning to the upper classrooms. Some kids used to get so upset while leaving their classroom but no one cared. Most of the teachers were so unhappy. There was a lot of turn around of the teachers.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy director told me the that the teaching is for the people who love to work with the kids and don't care about what they are paid in a very rude way. I understand to love with the kids part but I don't think the company needs volunteers to make money for it. My director was like a dictator and had very bad people skills. I think the directors should be constantly trained so that they can understand that the teacher are adults and deserve respect. Don't expect a happy environment from a teacher who is constantly bullied by the directors or assistant directors.

I'm still pretty new into my job but I'm pretty satisfied so far!

Assistant Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Kindercare full-time for less than a year

ProsThe management is supportive when you need their help. It is a corporation, so they have locations everywhere so if you need to relocate, you can transfer to s new site easily.

ConsThe schedule can be difficult if you have a family since you switch between opening and closing the center. The pay isn't very high compared to Montessori or other private schools.

Based on my experience

Lead Teacher (Former Employee)
Laurel, MD (US)

I worked at Kindercare full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIf you love working with children, it is an awesome place to work and get the education that you need to pursue your job as an early-childhood educator.

ConsThe company seems all about numbers, how many children that you have in the center. This focus takes away from the children.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think that there should be a better balance of work-life and home life. Having more things that have families and employee families come together for various activities.

Terrible place to work

Teacher (Former Employee)
Columbia, MO (US)

I worked at Kindercare full-time for less than a year

ProsI loved some of the kids in my class, and my fellow teachers were great to commiserate with.

ConsFirst of all, terrible pay. Management was condescending and arrogant, withholding information until they had a rude way of presenting it. Training was ineffective and half-hearted, and prioritized under covering staffing messes they could not contain. The corporate mindset of the company resulted in the kids being treated like numbers, being shuffled around to keep staffing at a minimum. Foster kids were favored and allowed to behave terribly because the state covering their fees meant they were a guaranteed check.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to be more of a childcare provider than a business.

Not a nice company to work for

Center Director (Former Employee)
Logan Township, NJ (US)

I worked at Kindercare full-time for more than 8 years

ProsI made some life long friendships and gained some great experience. Learned a lot of life lessons. I was also paid well.

ConsFor a company that is supposedly based on the needs of children, it is not very family friendly. There were weeks when I worked 60 hours with no compensation. The company does not care about its employees. There was minimal support from my most recent District Manager, who would not take responsibility for anything, and has since been terminated. Raises are not given and teacher wages are low. There is constant restructuring of the corporate positions, making it a very uneasy environment. It felt very unstable. Many of the people holding the corporate positions have never worked in childcare and were hired solely to run a business, not to cater to children and their families.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut yourself in the center director and staff shoes once in a while. They work very hard every day and most of you would have no clue how to run a center as well as they do.

Great company with quality in place for children.

Center Director (Current Employee)
Madison, WI (US)

I have been working at Kindercare full-time for more than a year

ProsKinderCare values its employees by providing many benefits
Focus on quality and education through the extensive curriculum

ConsI have not experienced any cons with this company

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the appreciation of staff that has already been put in place

Catty Co-workers, Low Pay, No respect

Teacher II (Former Employee)
Malvern, PA (US)

I worked at Kindercare full-time for less than a year

ProsHourly wage wasn't bad, when working full time.

ConsMostly all female environment, tend to gossip, act in high school..(some are in high school) Not many are education majors nor college degreed which is fine but act envious towards those who had higher degrees of education. Very unpleasant management, strict and were lazy but acted busy while they were secretly browsing Facebook. Most who work there are miserable, but at least work well with the children which is all that matters. But not good for classroom mood. I was quick to find another job out of that environment!

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you don't like your job QUIT. Don't take your misery out on others.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Kindercare? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kindercare reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Kindercare CEO Elanna S. Yalow. All 131 reviews are posted anonymously by Kindercare employees.