Kindercare

Updated 14 August 2014

2.3

Kindercare CEO Elanna S. Yalow
Elanna S. Yalow

Pros
  • It's a joy working with children and creating relationships with families (in 9 reviews)

• Great families and children, very rewarding to watch the children grow (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • High turnover rate of teachers due to low pay (in 14 reviews)

• Abusive Upper-Management especially at a regional level (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

KinderCare doesn't care

Former Employee - Infant Teacher  in  Columbus, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Infant Teacher in Columbus, OH (US)

Pros

I loved working with the kids

Cons

the kids are the best part of everything.

need better leaders

Not much caring in Kindercare

Former Employee - Teacher  in  Fairfax, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Teacher in Fairfax, VA (US)

Pros

On paper, their values are in the right place. Benefits and time-off policies are average. Staff get a discount for the care of their children, albeit a small one.

Cons

They don't practice what they preach and don't follow through on their values and goals. Work ethic and atmosphere are extremely director-dependent. Very low pay. High turnover among teachers. Aside from assistant teachers becoming lead teachers, there is not much room for personal growth.

The company values should be implemented more strictly. Measures to prevent such high staff turnover should be considered.

Needs help

Pros

Love the kids
    Guaranteed a laugh once a day

Cons

Not enough support or training

Look at the place as a stepping stone for people and not a lifetime career if you are not paying the teacher correctly

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Substandard environment for teachers and students.

Former Employee - Lead Teacher  in  Germantown, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Germantown, TN (US)

Pros

Being able to provide a safe learning environment is the best part about working there. Teaching the children how to effectively interact with eachother and the world around them is incredibly satisfying.

Cons

It is difficult to provide and maintain structure in the classroom as the director is continuously shuffling the students around in order to keep teachers off the clock.

Focus should be on hiring qualified, caring teachers who are capable of educating and caring for the students in the best most effective manner.

Good intentions

Former Employee - Lead Teacher I  in  Woodridge, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher I in Woodridge, IL (US)

Pros

Diverse group of children
    Director really cared about the kids
    Get to inspire young minds

Cons

Employee drama with all women
    Pay is a bit low but you can get raises

Focus on the children, always!

Wonderful

Current Employee - School Age Teacher  in  Lynnwood, WA (US)
    Current Employee - School Age Teacher in Lynnwood, WA (US)

Pros

The people are exceptionally nice and very helpful. They were welcoming and friendly to someone new to the state and job.

Cons

There is not much room for growth in a daycare setting.

Overall OK place to work.

Current Employee - Lead Infant Teacher  in  Omaha, NE (US)
    Current Employee - Lead Infant Teacher in Omaha, NE (US)

Pros

The teachers truly do care about the children there.

Cons

High turnover rate of teachers due to low pay.

The teachers work hard for the company, they need to be better paid.

Under appreciated

Pros

Love the families and children.

Cons

Under paid, under valued, over worked.

Do not work here

Current Employee - Teacher  in  Slidell, LA (US)
    Current Employee - Teacher in Slidell, LA (US)

Pros

Love the kids. They rock.

Cons

Management shows favoritism. Is not organized. Does not help what so over. Does not care about employees

Stop showing favoritism. Help out your employees.

It's not a real teaching job. Do not waste your time.

Former Employee - Pre-kindergarten Teacher  in  Somerset, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Pre-kindergarten Teacher in Somerset, NJ (US)

Pros

Teaching the children how to interact positively and grasp different ways of learning.

Cons

Where do I even start?

1) LOW PAY. Kindercare takes out more federal taxes than any other job. That's $400 + taxes out if your small paycheck to begin with before benefits. On top of that, they expect you to work strictly under 40 hours because you're not allowed overtime and they expect you to work off the clock. I worked 9-6 on the clock but would come on at 7 am and stay until 6 30 on most days and everything still wasn't done. They expect way too much for too little.
    *they made me stay 3 hours late for Graduation, which took a good two weeks to prepare for and did not pay me. That was the last straw.

2) DISRESPECT
    It is bad enough parents can be disrespectful but when your own directors keep telling you that after all you've done working off the clock and from home that it's still not enough, it makes you feel awful. My directors were never happy and always had something negative to say not only about me but about every "teacher" at the center. Yup, even the favorites.

3) RATIOS
    To save money, instead if hiring a school she teacher for summer, they gave all of the summer kids to me on top of my already over ratio Pre K class. On summer days, I would have 18 kids! One of them having special needs behavior wise and two of them with needs so high, it was nearly impossible to keep a close eye. While one child (autistic) would be putting small toys in his mouth and choking, the other child with special needs would be escaping from the building! Management sees the children as dollar signs and nothing more.

4) HUNGOVER TEACHERS
     If you want your child to be in an environment with an angry teacher who was up all night playing beer pong and is too hungover to take care of young children, then this is the place for you. Too many times, I have seen children dragged by their arms and forcefully out into a chair out if anger. These teachers scream at the child's face and complain ALL DAY. The best is at nap time when the teachers are yelling at a child for not sleeping and this wake up the entire sleeping class.

Oh and did I mention the children are allowed to hit you? I wish I was making this up. All you can do is show the child hitting you "nice hands" and direct then to Legos or a different activity. They don't believe in punishment or even consequences which teaches the children that they can do whatever they want and have no consequences. It makes me sick.

This is not a teaching job. We are merely babysitting. Pay your teachers right. Let me just say that I left for a job I was at in college and within a week at my old job, I was promoted and i am
    Now making almost double what I made at KinderCare. It's just a daycare, take your child to pre school in a public school system- I can't stress that enough.

Since I left, I've never been happier and in a better state of kind. Avoid KinderCare. It doesn't look good on a teaching resume anyway.

Worked for Kindercare? Contribute to the Community!