King Soopers

Updated 28 January 2015
2.9

King Soopers President Russ Dispense
Russ Dispense

Pros
  • good pay if you can get a decent position and benefits do to union (in 12 reviews)

• Good benefits, you meet great people (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • With this job being only a part-time, I could only wish it was a full-time job, or I would still be there working (in 9 reviews)

• low pay in the beginning, but once you hit journeyman wages, it is very good (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Its Meh..

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk

I worked at King Soopers

Pros

great work environment. Felt like family

Cons

Minimum wage. Managements goals is to pay their employees the least they can

Keep the good people by paying them accordingly. Don't be stingy.

Helps me pay my bills, but I'd leave in a heart beat

Current Employee - Produce Manager in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Produce Manager in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at King Soopers

Pros

Management pay is decent, guaranteed 40 hours, produce is considerably easy

Cons

This always changing company is constantly thinking of ways to beat wal mart instead of taking care of their number one assest, their employees! The turnover rate is extremely scary and very alarming. It's even scarier that the turnover in managers is just as bad, because no one wants the constant nagging. The pay difference between clerk and manager is minimal, the only difference is the guaranteed full time status and so many headaches. This company has the biggest micro managers in the world. If corporate sends an email, I'm going to be forwarded that email and spoke to about that email by atleast 5 people. No one is taught to trust you as a department head, so expect to feel like a child at all times. Your expected to schedule a computer program and hit a certain percentage based on what they think you need to help customers, but expect your and everyone else's schedule to change because the program simply doesn't work, but don't worry, I'll sit upstairs two hours a week playing with graphs to satisfy the program only to be told it's not benefiting the store, lol. I've been asked numerous times to apply for store management, and with 12 years with the company, i know i could run my own store and would do very well, unfortunately, being on call 24/7, working 10+ hours a day, nagging your employees instead of coaching and developing, the constant stress from district management and higher... it's not worth it. That should scare this company, but they will promote anyone as long as your breathing, there are plenty of people above my position that are no where near deserving of their title, who get very little respect from the people who work under them. I could literally write a novel..

trust your department heads to run their departments. This job is not fun anymore. It's only a matter of time until you have no one with seniority or experience doing this job, when the appropriate and well experienced people have left or chosen to step down. Quit the "i got you" crap. Surprise visits and surprise walks are nothing but annoying. No one trusts your doing your job, so district management will walk stores unannounced and make your life hell, regardless of sick calls or lack of good help.

Poor wages and hours

I worked at King Soopers

Pros

Cannot think of any

Cons

Underpaid and short staffed Micromanages the store

Enough to get started

Former Employee - Grocery Night Clerk in Colorado Springs, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Grocery Night Clerk in Colorado Springs, CO (US)

I worked at King Soopers

Pros

Good place to get started. You can definately pay for colledge or just living of you get an APC position.

Cons

Management sometimes goes hunting for witch trials. I watched the store manager of my store fire 5 people in a 3 month time period for issues that could've been resolved without terminations. Theres also a fair amount of questionable on the verge of discriminatory practices on store.

Management doesn't listen to their employees, I doubt they would listen to a former one

Long time employee

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at King Soopers

Pros

Employees are great. Good working relationships among hourly employees and management. Pay is good, benefits are good

Cons

Too much is expected of everyone. Not enough hours or people to do regular tasks. No work life balance at all. Expected to be at company's beck and call.

Store managers are too concerned with numbers from above. Need to focus on happy employees

Pharmacy tech

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician

I have been working at King Soopers

Pros

Good hours and honors my school schedule.

Cons

Can be understaffed so gets crazy busy at times

Easy, if you aren't mentally challenged you can perform this job.

I have been working at King Soopers

Pros

Probably the easiest most laid back job I have had

Cons

Sometimes you get 4-6 hour shifts which are frustrating. Also a lot of the times you dont know your schedule for the upcoming week until Sunday.

Promote the best individuals rather than seniority.

Satisfight most of the time.

Current Employee - Long Time Employee in Greeley, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Long Time Employee in Greeley, CO (US)

I have been working at King Soopers full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great company for advancement. Friendly Associates, Good benefits once you are el[gible

Cons

It's a retail job, so you have to work Weekends and Holidays.

Not always appriciative, Some Assistant Store Managers are in a position they should't be in. Don't back up some of the Department Managers. Not consistant with decipline.

Deli manager

I have been working at King Soopers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

awesome place to move up

Cons

not so awesome work like balance