Knife River

Add Photos

Bill Schneider

Great Place To Work

ProsGreat People and good pay

ConsTough to find good help as it is anywhere

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing

The recession derailed Knife River's vision to become a great company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe best thing about Knife River is that you can settle down in a community and don't have to move around like most people in the construction industry have to do.

ConsThe downside to Knife River is that opportunities are limited to how well the local economy fares in the areas where they work.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the company while it still has value to someone else.

Nice place to work, so long as you're ready to.

Quality Control Technician (Former Employee) Sherwood, OR (US)

ProsThe people I worked with were generally great to be around. The lab was clean and well-maintained. Safety was of the highest priority.

ConsThe hours were long. I worked 10-hour days, and was still often the first one to leave for the day.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Outstanding company with great market share

Sales Representative - Concrete (Former Employee) Portland, OR (US)

ProsGood place to work, knowldgable people,

ConsPay needs to be adjusted upwards

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter pay is needed to match industry

Fair place to work, good pay and bennies, erratic schedule sometimes

Current Employee (Current Employee) Bismarck, ND (US)

ProsPay and benefits are generally good, with occasionally more overtime than you can handle. Generally, we are working with good equipment, and until the recession hit it was well taken care of - still not too bad. Normally, you can decline duty that takes you out of town and away from family. If you have a decent attitude and knowledge, you can expect others of your work rank to support you and throw down their best most days. We generally take a week or so off during the holidays so everyone can be with their families on Christmas. We have no paid vacation or sick days/pay, but overall are able to have days off on the bigger holidays. Generally, you can always voice concerns and problems.

ConsIn my experience, management is big on talk but short on action. If you are used to an involved problem solving interaction, likely you will be frustrated at having to deal with long term issues which are always talked about but seldom confronted and solved. If you happen to be an employee who is experienced and cognizant of company efficiency and financial matters, you might be frustrated at the waste that occurs in a larger company, often because your management team refuses to listen to any opinions but their own. As with most construction companies, your personal time evaporates a good share of the year. Lack of sleep and bizarre work schedules can and do raise serious safety issues. Lastly, if you are a person who remembers mistakes and looks ahead trying to dodge bad situations and problems, KR is equal to most others - we see the same issues year after year with little cooperation from management in effecting positive change.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry and realize that your rank and file employees may have knowledge and experience which will help a great deal with working conditions and your bottom line. A condescending attitude towards them, along with the idea that a title somehow infers infallibility in decision-making and knowledge, is pretty arrogant. Those of us who get dirty for a living are daily pushed for real productivity; we get frustrated with poor decisions and long timelines being pushed downstream. It has been my experience in KR that it's better to tackle the problem and hope for a good outcome than to wait on a direction that never comes. Lastly, most times there is no reason to work extremely long hours or bizarre schedules - you're basically running a vehicle on flat tires when everyone's exhausted. Better to work smarter than harder.

the employees are nice to work with all but a few

Formen (Former Employee) Williston, ND (US)

Prosmoney isn't bad and some eployees

Consthe management on the top in northeastern ND need some major help. In over there heads.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey will get it sooner or later.

Merit was largely a hindrance leading to several years of disappointment.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company is part of a larger utility group and therefore can withstand the bumps of an unsteady economy. Some managers are good people.

ConsSenior management is completely unaware of the skills and abilities of its own people. They insulate themselves almost completely from what's going on. The new President loathes technology and is one of the few executives in the world that doesn't recognize the importance of technology and sees it only as a way for employees to waste time. He'd rather we all used abaci

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen making decisions about who to promote and who to RIF, actually talk to employees who work with those people. Make decisions based on merit instead of who your friends are.

Great atmosphere

Quality Control Technician (Current Employee) Sherwood, OR (US)

ProsCompany Vehicle
    Casual workplace
    Great overtime opportunity

ConsLong work hours in the summer

Great Place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFun place to work with pretty good pay especially if able to work on overtime. Good benefits and a big company to work for.

ConsWork is dependent upon the construction economy and therefore unstable and job security can be at risk when business is slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementNotify and educate employees about oportunities for professional development and possibilities with moving up in the company and promotions/ work expectations

It is not tat great

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Roseburg, OR (US)

ProsGreat employees. Thats about it

ConsWe work 5 months a year. Employees at burger King make the same as us yearly.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe get no Boneses our vacation is taxed as a Gift 49%

Worked for Knife River? Contribute to the Community!