Kroger Reviews

2.9
1,550 Reviews

Kroger CEO Rodney McMullen
Rodney McMullen

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, working to serve the people of your own community and friendly coworkers (in 72 reviews)

• Paid holidays (4 hours) & paid vacation available for part time (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is tough because I had to work a different schedule every day/week (in 47 reviews)

• Krogers way of cutting out full time, long tenured workers who have given them 20-30 (in 87 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company, but the union allows people to become complacent and rewards seniority while ignoring merit.

Current Employee - Assistant Customer Service Manager  in  Rochester, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Customer Service Manager in Rochester, MI (US)

I have been working at Kroger full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great senior Leadership who have a passion for what they do and an exciting vision for the future.
    Good benefits, flexible schedule.

Cons

It is difficult to fire someone for not doing their job because of very strong union protection, this provides job security, but it also keeps people complacent and unmotivated.
    New hires have to plan for a corporate career if they hope to make good money.
    There is little to no store level management support, often causing good workers to become dissatisfied and lose hope.

Work towards having the store management team with the department heads to engage associates and create the environment that is so clearly sought after by the company leadership.

Grateful for employment!

Current Employee - Front End Cashier  in  Pasadena, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Pasadena, TX (US)

I have been working at Kroger part-time

Pros

Im able to meet new people. And build good relationships with some of the awewome co workers. We laugh and make the time go by faster.

Cons

Some of the Management has no clue on how to talk to its employees. They feel its ok to belittle you. And when you stand up for yourself they claim you have an attitude. Some of the store managers amaze me that they are even managers. They are clueless without fail when it comes to when we need help. "Whomp whomp." They know and love to bark at us but they dont know how to do simple things. Oh and they seem to not know how to follow your availability. And racist customers I would love to put them in their places lol

Learn how to be a help to the cashiers. And talk to the employees like we matter. We all play a part In helping Kroger be a successful company. Respect the associates and you will have a peaceful flow and

I have been employee for a little over a year.

Current Employee - Front End Cashier
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier

I have been working at Kroger part-time for more than a year

Pros

I really enjoy the friendly faces of the diverse shoppers that come everyday, getting paid weekly is a plus and there is a reward program that recognizes my hard work.

Cons

At times I sense that there is a lot of special treatment going on among the Supervisors there and I would like to be allowed to transfer to a a non-union store but that is against policy which i find ridiculous.

Come out of your offices sometimes and engage with your employees make them feel like they are on the same time as you are.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Low pay for what they expect you to do

Former Employee - Utility Clerk  in  Bonaire, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Utility Clerk in Bonaire, GA (US)

I worked at Kroger part-time for more than a year

Pros

I had good coworkers who made being there not to bad

Cons

managers were not helpful
    don't really have much of a say on what hours you want to work unless you want your hours cut back

Make sure you have enough baggers , especially during rush hour time .
    Try to promote from within the company to keep great workers.

Great first job but not long term

I have been working at Kroger part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible work schedule around school. Easy to move up if you are willing and show interest. Employee discount. Friendly and approachable management.

Cons

High turnover, no attendance policy, low wage compared to other comparable company, communication at store level is almost nonexistent.

Decent First Job

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk  in  Commerce Township, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Commerce Township, MI (US)

I worked at Kroger part-time for less than a year

Pros

Being a Courtesy Clerk I was a front end employee and got to meet many people. The hours were flexible and minimum wage is minimum wage.

Cons

Taking off days was hard to do. In the winter I was outside for long periods of time, same for rainy weather.

Paying more than minimum wage is beneficial in the long run for both employees and employers.

Coworkers were good, management was not so good.

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Katy, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Katy, TX (US)

I have been working at Kroger part-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone I worked with was nice and the hours were good, they worked around my schedule well.

Cons

The pay was really low for the amount of stress and work that cashiers were put through. Getting yelled at by angry customers due to the bad management of the store was not worth 7.45 an hour. That's why I ended up quitting.

The wages at Kroger are the lowest in the grocery industry, or at least that I've seen so far. You might wanna catch up to the rest of the industry. And try to care about your employees more, it seems as if the managers and supervisors (at my store at least) only cared about work and that was it.

Good company

I worked at Kroger

Pros

Nice schedule
    Nice coworkers & atmosphere

Cons

There weren't any cons for kroger

Kroger

I have been working at Kroger full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Enjoy working with the public. Great place to work. A lot of growth opportunities. Always receive great feed back from the management and my peers which help the growth.

Cons

Sometimes certain tasks need to be broken into small steps to increase the efficiency.

Good company

I have been working at Kroger

Pros

Advancements are possible and you can move up

Cons

Late night shifts sometimes and weekends required

None

Worked for Kroger? Contribute to the Community!