La Madeleine

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jean-Roch Vachon

One of the worst jobs

Line Worker : Bakery (Former Employee)
Round Rock, TX (US)

I worked at La Madeleine part-time for less than a year

Pros$8.50 per hour. Good looking Bakery

ConsBad employees, discrimination, filthy, over-worked, understaffed, ill-prepared, potential health hazard, bad scheduling, VERY bad training, re-used past date food

Advice to Senior ManagementALWAYS schedule bussers when busiest ! Get the employees more involved, train them better so they ALL know what to do ! Arguing with staff is unacceptable. Discrimination uncalled for. Couldn't do it as a part time job, won't make a career out of it ! Make working here a place that feels like home and not just a paycheck !

The plantation

I have been working at La Madeleine full-time

Prospay comes on time but its not enough to survive

Conshorrible pay, you can not pay your bills with this plus they only give you about 30-33 hrs a week. management just cares about how much the store made that day, they will cut your hours so they can save money, be rude, get into arguments. The busboy at my location told our GM he was getting burned by the washing chemicals and she told him there was nothing she could do. He asked her repeatedly to get him some gloves, she said no and he ended up buying his own on his 8/hr budget. She knew he was a recent immigrant by himself and she gave no cares.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare

Operating under constant stress and intimidation.

I T at Corporate HQ (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at La Madeleine full-time for less than a year

ProsOutside of the I.T. department the company knows how to have fun. All hands meetings and holiday events have a lot of generous gifts and fun give-a-ways done at various offsite locations. Lots of catering and employees bringing in baked goods, there always seems to be good food around. Employee discount at cafes is a nice perk.

ConsWithin the network group of the I.T. department: a very rigid top-down hierarchical corporate structure that is heavily compartmentalized, little room for advancement, no empowerment to make decisions or ability to collaborate with peers, and no respectful questioning of decisions that are made in private by micro-managing bosses with absent scruples and hair trigger tempers who operate under the philosophy of Procrustean Rule.

I.T. Management openly bullies and speaks ill of sub-ordinates and it is not uncommon for managers to publicly dress down an employee in front of peers (personally witnessed multiple times). This is a very do what you are told, don't question me or be fired type of place.

This is a hostile work environment where the ends always justify the means. Human Resources appears to strictly be there to protect the company; employees have little to no means of legitimate recourse from unjust treatment. Keep your dignity and stay far away from this place.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company vision, mission, and culture that the executive team says they want is disconnected from the actual reality of what is in practice by middle and lower management. Which begs the question, what are the true values of the company?

The network management team must be replaced by true and competent leaders that can successfully implement projects without major disruptions to daily operations of the cafes and are able to treat staff with dignity and respect.

Not a career type of job

Service Assistant (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at La Madeleine full-time for more than a year

ProsSome guests are actually really nice! One could level with them and talk as if you've known each other forever. You'll know who the best workers are immediately. Able to be an asset immediately. The hard work guarantees more hours.

ConsYou'll also have a lot of mean guests. Some expect special treatment and that's fine, it's the ones that want more than that are what could run your day, as they usually travel in packs. You'll also know that most of the employees are lazy and would rather be on their phones or joking around. A lot of unprofessional attitudes toward the guests. Asking for a raise is blasphemous. Managers undermine each other and discipline is inconsistent. Your advancement relies on butt kissing, noy merits.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you would like to keep good help, treat good help well and take care of them.

A waste of time!

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
Tysons Corner, VA (US)

I worked at La Madeleine full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe pay was enough to give it a chance.

ConsFilthy! Discrimination! Told by upper management some managers were hired because they needed bodies. Working conditions. Bug and rodent infestations. Need I say more. Nobody cared about associates.

Advice to Senior ManagementVisit your stores and stay for awhile, see the big picture, not just dollars.

Monotonous

Host (Current Employee)

I have been working at La Madeleine part-time for less than a year

ProsI do not find many pros besides the people I work with are generally nice. Customers are ok, the managers sometimes will bring pizza.

ConsYou will go home smelling like soup and other various food items. Work becomes monotonous quickly and raises are not often. It is not a place to stay and work for a while.

Simple job, people were always fair and management nice

Cashier (Former Employee)

I worked at La Madeleine full-time for more than a year

ProsFair wage for the work put in.

ConsCompany has gotten really weird about how much they are limiting to employees. Getting stingy

Average Food Service Job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at La Madeleine

ProsWonderful bakery selection and great tasting food.

ConsFast-paced multi-tasking, Little growth and raise opportunity

ok job

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at La Madeleine full-time for more than 3 years

Pros2 day's off, great customers

Cons60 plus hours...hard to get a vacation

Advice to Senior Managementa good job..but not a career

Despite the "Stepford Wives" mentality of the management, it is about what I expected.

Associate (Current Employee)
Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at La Madeleine part-time for less than a year

ProsThe quality of the food is high. There is seldom a dull moment, and the fast pace makes the time fly by.

ConsI find it bizarre that for a shift of anything less than 8 hours I can assume I will not get even a 5-minute break.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow more respect to the employees.

Worked for La Madeleine? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at La Madeleine reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for La Madeleine CEO Jean-Roch Vachon. All 21 reviews are posted anonymously by La Madeleine employees.