LanguageLine Solutions

LanguageLine Solutions Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

LanguageLine Solutions President & CEO Scott W. Klein

Scott W. Klein

Pros
  • I work from home I don't care about paid holiday or sick leave (in 62 reviews)

• I'm able to work from home and able to help people (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • No benefits either or anything to show appreciation (in 24 reviews)

• Low salary (minimum wage) , No benefits, No paid vacation or sickness (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Learning

Interpreter (Former Employee) Monterey, CA (US)

ProsTo improve language skills and to help others

ConsNot knowing the vocabulary. Call center environment

Advice to Senior ManagementLet people breath. Improve their benefits. Respect their space

Gave me an opportunity to work from home.

Telephonic Interpreter (Former Employee)

ProsEasy job, no commute if you are an at-home employee, direct deposit.

Consno paid vacation, benefits are expensive

A good job

Interpreter (Current Employee)

ProsI think the pay rate varies between the different languages and the benefits varies between states. For example if you speak a language that's high on demand like Spanish but at the same time A LOT of people are bilingual in English and Spanish therefore the competition is high so if you're not good at your job (especially if you're a contractor) they can easily replace you especially in this rough economy with unemployment rate so high. As for benefits that varies by state employers are not required by law to give employees additional benefit beside the benefits that's required by that state. I work from home I don't care about paid holiday or sick leave. I work the morning shift starting from 6am so I get off around 2:30 that gives me a whole day left to do whatever I want. Mylanguage is in demand but not many people can speak my language and English fluently therefore it's not as easy to replace us. IF YOU'RE A GOOD INTERPRETER THEY LEAVE YOU ALONE. I see a lot of people complaining about people management and client being mean. I personally have never had a complaint filed against me. Actually many doctors have asked for me personally to do interpreting for them when they call in. It's about doing your job well. Now let's talk about the pay. Again the pay varies by language. When I first started working for LLS during provisional I was paid $14hr (minimum wage in California is only $9hr) so the pay isn't bad. After provisional I get paid $9hr but for every minute I'm on the phone I get $0.40 per minute within an hour I'm on the phone usually for 50minutes (there are times between calls) now you do the math. That's not a bad pay at all. I made the decision to be an employee instead of a contractor because 1. They forward all the calls to the employees first (contractors gets calls when all employees are busy). 2. Job security, it is easier to let a contractor go than an employee. 3. The way difference between a contractor and an employee is $0.10. I'd rather be an employee and get more calls which makes me more money and get the job security plus a 401k. Hope thos info helps.

ConsFew over time. In California over time is a time and a half so I like over time

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Flexible, convenient work at home employment.

All-call Interpreter (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible schedule and you get to work from home. No commute. No office clothing to buy. No nossy coworkers. Interviews and training is over the phone and online.

ConsOnce you reach the All Call position that's it, that is the top level. No paid time off. No sick days. No increase in pay. No motivation. No incentives.

It´s currently my major source of income / Per-Call Interpreter.

Per-Call Interpreter (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsWork from home, learn something new every day,make a difference on people´s life, save lives, feel good about yourself and choose your own hours, travel and time off as needed or desired.

ConsSome calls have poor sound so you need to have a completely quiet work area - not my case but I imagine it will be hard for people with children or pets; you don´t get performance reviews or a raise; there is a contrast between the appreciation I receive from the customers and the indifference of the company in regards to me as a person.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need to be constantly improving our skills. Although we all do it on our own, it would be wonderful to have some training materials and webinars to increase our knowledge and expertise within the field. Also there should be more performance feed backs available to us in a regular basis, not just upon request.

An ok job, but isolated.

ProsWork from home, no travel time needed.

ConsIsolated, you don't get connect with community people much. Very limited benefits. Especially when you are sick, you have occurrence on your record, I hope they can revise this become more humanity.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to offer more variety development opportunities to the interpreter who are doing their great job, offer appropriate benefits, including sick leave without occurrence.

I'm tired

Interpreter (Current Employee) Arlington, VA (US)

ProsI'm able to work from home and able to help people.

ConsIt's difficult to change the schedule once you set one. No paid sick leaves, no vacation times and no training after you get hired. Very low salary. The language specialist constantly calls you to tell you your problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need more benefits. Don't treat us like slaves.

Experience at a cost

ProsGood service helping people who don't speak English well or at all.

ConsNot a people oriented company. Very little value placed on employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your assets - your interpreters. They deserve better than they are getting.

Language Line reviews

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWork from home so no transportation or clothing expenses. Great training. If you need OT the will give it as per their needs.

ConsNo paid holidays or vacation. But that is in the continental US. In Puerto Rico they pay the minimum per hour, but they have paid vacation and extra if they work on a holiday.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees will be happier if, at least they could get paid vacation time in USA. Also, regular analog landline service is being stopped to change for dsl or cable based lines. You may have to find ways to protect privacy using those services and allow employees to use them; if not, if technology keeps changing and phone companies completely get rid of analog landline service, the company will lose employees and will probably close.

lowest paying interpreter jobs in the industry

ProsWorking from home. If you are inexperienced you will get decent training, I guess its suitable for a mom that woud like to work from home and doesn't necessarily need the money or benefits.

ConsLow salary (minimum wage) , No benefits, No paid vacation or sickness.
    Every sick day counts as an occurrence . Company charges clients almost $4 per minute but pays the interpreter about $10 per hour!!!

Advice to Senior Managementincrease wages

Worked for LanguageLine Solutions? Contribute to the Community!