Legacy Health System Reviews

Legacy Health System President & CEO George J. Brown
George J. Brown

Hopewell House outdoor maintenance

I have been working at Legacy Health System

Pros

Hopewell House is a lovely place to spend my volunteer time. I have been an employee of Legacy during my professional career as an RN. Now I volunteer there.

Cons

The grounds at Hopewell House are in a deplorable state of non-maintenance

I am a hospice volunteer at Hopewell House and have performed duties there since 2008. It has been brought to my attention by staff members and families of our patients that the grounds at Hopewell are extremely unkempt. Weeds are growing in all of the former flower beds, there are dead branches hanging from shrubbery and the gazebo area at the rear of the building is totally overgrown and the roses are dying. It is a shame that our patients and their families have to observe this mess. The other legacy hospitals appear to be fortunate to have wonderful landscaping services. Why does Hopewell not have the same.? One of our nurses has been so generous with her time and money to plant bulbs and other flowers at the entrance. She should not have to do this herself as well as provide excellent hospice service to our patients and their families. Please help make us proud of our facility and maintain this gem of an institution belonging to Legacy. Perhaps one of the management people should visit this wonderful place and recognize the work we do and take a look at the outside environment. We do bring our patients outside in their beds and family members use the courtyard for respite and comfort. How lovely it would be to have beautiful surroundings and not a weed patch. Hoping someone can make Hopewell as beautiful as the other Legacy facilities.

It has been a wonderful welcoming environment.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at Legacy Health System full-time for less than a year

Pros

The amazing staff and management are willing to teach and truly appreciate the importance of patient advocacy

Cons

Benefits aren't that great (medical)

Fantastic place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Legacy Health System full-time

Pros

The pay was decent. Management is supportive. Growth and learning opportunities abundant. Overall, great place to work!

Cons

I honestly can't say anything bad about my time with Legacy. I would still work there had my spouse not been relocated out of state.

Continue doing what you are doing! You are making a difference and EPIC was by far the best system you could have implemented to increase patient experience since the staff now have the time to really focus on the patients needs.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Hostile Workplace!

Current Employee - Staff Nurse (RN)  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Staff Nurse (RN) in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at Legacy Health System full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Serves a high volume of indigent.

Cons

Chronically understaffed and below market value pay. Managed by negative reinforcement. Terminates staff frequently in unfair labor practices. Not a happy place to work. A struggling, stressful workplace.

Top down management

I have been working at Legacy Health System for more than 8 years

Pros

The quality of care is excellent.

Cons

Top down management is not aware of the great potential of the staff it employs. There is little room for professional advancement.

Need to recognize and utilize the skill set of employees.

Excellent Benefits

Former Employee - Staff Nurse (RN)  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Staff Nurse (RN) in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Legacy Health System full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent benefits, high standard of behavior

Cons

the employees vacation and sick hours come out of the same bank, thus it encourages staff to come to work sick, in order to save Paid Time Off for vacations. No clinical ladder for nurses.

They don't understand how to listen to employees.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Legacy Health System full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

OK benefits, nice facilities, co-workers are family

Cons

Devastating staff cuts over the years. Poor holiday schedules. Unfair HR

You say you listen to you staff but very rarely do you act on the suggestions.

Oncology services not standard of care

Former Employee - Physician  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Physician in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Legacy Health System full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Everyone is nice at Legacy facilities. There seems to be good comradery between physicians and staff, with a less formal feeling than at other institutions in the area.

Cons

The pay is low for the area. The executive management doesn't make good decisions. They lose their best doctors as a result. Some of the doctors they promote in their media don't practice standard of care. This makes it difficult to take their medical care seriously.

Win back your great doctors. Take some risks. Listen to your employees. Be careful about who you promote in the media, because it is wide local knowledge that one of your "stars" practices outside the standard of care. The rest of the community has to deal with the problems caused by this physician's poor judgment masquerading as avant-garde care. This is widely known except, it seems, at Legacy.

Great hospital system to work for. Lots of opportunities.

I have been working at Legacy Health System

Pros

Awesome pay and benefits, usually well-staffed, great physicians and nurses to work with, clean facility. Many opportunities to move around within the system.

Cons

Because of the location of emanuel and good sam, there are a lot of alcoholics and drug addicts. They're not always the most pleasant patients and it makes for a lot of social work headaches. Personally for me, the hospital is a little far from my home. Traffic sucks.

Overall good company providing good care for the area. Can be very bureaucratic at times.

Current Employee - Occupational Therapist  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Occupational Therapist in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at Legacy Health System part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some extremely excellent staff providing quality patient care.

Cons

Not much room for advancement. Managers stick to numbers rather than focusing on what COULD provide the very best patient care -- people are more important than numbers.

Other than my direct manager...I don't really feel like management exists.

Worked for Legacy Health System? Contribute to the Community!