LexisNexis Legal & Professional

Updated Feb 24, 2014

LexisNexis Legal & Professional CEO Mike Walsh

Mike Walsh

54 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

deteriorating company with no direction[

Business Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time for more than a year

ProsMy coworkers are great and generally have a good attitude. There's usually a group that goes to lunch together and we organize cocktails at least once a week.

The pay is pretty good, and the benefits are good.

ConsWhile I have had fun and made some good friends, I feel like my career has not developed at Lexis Nexis. No one cares much about the company and managers don't invest in junior employees. While there's a friendly attitude, there is little collaboration and most employees do the minimum to get by.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf there is an overall strategic direction for the company, it has not been communicated to the entry-level workers. If we don't have a strategy, get one! If we have one, then we need to work on internal communication.

Content proofreading

Copy Contractor (Current Employee)
East Orange, NJ (US)

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional as a contractor for more than a year

ProsServed as a temp workers. Work was low pay but consistent.

ConsThe company has been sold to a company in California.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

A great company that no longer exists

Marketing/Product Management (Former Employee)
New Providence, NJ (US)

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat people, opportunities for learning

ConsValuing and nurturing talent - no programs

Company in Transition

Data Steward (Current Employee)
New Providence, NJ (US)

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time for more than 10 years

ProsTransition is a good time to get new types of experience, and to start over with new relationships with upper management.

Consjoint venture changes the culture of the company quite a bit, very pared down community involvement and team building which can be supported by the original umbrella but is not part of the joint venture effort

Advice to Senior ManagementSee what can be taken from the original managing company that can boost moral during transition - support activities that keep energy high - they are not all things with a high financial cost outright, but loss of them may contribute to loss of productivity, with will affect bottom line.

easy work, but most of dev is outsourced

Software Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time for more than a year

Prossufficient time off / flexible hours / competitive pay

ConsI was hired as a developer, but I ended up managing outsourced projects. I would do code reviews and such, but rarely did any development / little opportunity for career growth / management views staff as a resource to be exploited, not to grow and develop

good vision, poor implementation

Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI used to feel that LexisNexis represented values that I could get behind. But over time, I realized that wasn't always true. However, the idea (or hope) that you are working to provide better access to academic research and primary sources is certainly motivating.

Pay is pretty good, and I worked with a great team.

ConsThe company is unwilling to adjust to the 3rd millennium. I say unwilling because they know what they could do, but refuse to adjust trusted and tried business models for unchartered territory. Because of this, the outlook is negative in the mid and long term.

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to younger employees. Focus on building a company that will be successful long term instead of immediate monetization.

LexisNexis experiences

Senior Associate (Current Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional as a contractor for more than 8 years

ProsHad an innovation tradition; A great brand name, well respected; A part of the bigger parent company. Decent benefit and good severance package.

ConsInnovation seems now just legacy; very risk averse. Contribution not always recognized.

Advice to Senior ManagementBonus/profit is not everything. Don't punish the growth business ---Respect growth products; Get the biz growing again.

can't keep up with the times

New York, NY (US)

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLexis Nexis has a proud history and was truly a great company 10-15 years ago. At least according to the veterans on our team, there used to be a climate of innovation, collaboration, and building value for our paying customers and for society at large.

ConsWhile this is a great legacy, it is no long applicable today. Today Lexis Nexis is struggling to survive, fighting changes on several fronts:
- changing technology (everything is based on the internet)
- changing values in our culture (people don't want to pay for information anymore)
- regulation

Today the company's primary concern isn't building value, it's preserving it. This means cutting costs no matter what the cost (no pun intended..) Teams are being outsourced, metrics are more important than ideas, and our teams are micromanaged.

This results in an incredibly uncomfortable workplace where there isn't motivation or excitement.

Advice to Senior Managementthink about the long term future, not just about the next quarter's results.

Employees don't matter, only profit

Financial Analyst (Current Employee)
New York, NY (US)

ProsI've been with LN for 2 years now, and I am confident saying that the company is only interested in bottom line financials.

ConsEmployees are only important when they bring value. If a division, team, or person's project is deemed to be not of value by upper management, the entire team can be laid off. More and more work is being outsourced to save costs, so this keeps most of the company on our toes as we wonder what the next division or position to be outsourced is.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of employees. We're the people who are building the company and working for you full time.

formerly a great company, now resistant to innovation; leadership is absent

Business Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee)
New York, NY (US)

ProsLexisNexis was formerly a great company with an outstanding mandate and vision. As such, many employees have been around for a long time and are committed to that vision. These coworkers are great people from whom I have learned a lot. Working around GCS brings energy and is stimulating.

ConsCompany leadership is afraid to commit to a vision and long term strategy. The only interest is continuing to mine the traditional business models and there is an overall resistance to innovation.

There is little job security as more and more positions are being outsourced unless your in sales or business development.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild long term value.

Worked for LexisNexis Legal & Professional? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at LexisNexis Legal & Professional reviews and ratings in New York City, NY — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for LexisNexis Legal & Professional CEO Mike Walsh. All 54 reviews posted anonymously by LexisNexis Legal & Professional employees.