Life Time Fitness

Life Time Fitness Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Life Time Fitness Chairman, President, and CEO Bahram Akradi

Bahram Akradi

Pros:
  • "I loved having a free gym membership for myself and a deep discount for my spouse"
    in 31 reviews
  • "Free gym membership and employee discount to everything offered therein"
    in 27 reviews
Cons:
  • "You will work long hours especially if you are a Personal Trainer"
    in 22 reviews
  • "This is one of those places that educates employees to fear upper management"
    in 22 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

High Pressure Sales

Member Engagement Advisor (Former Employee)
Omaha, NE (US)

I worked at Life Time Fitness full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat work environment, nice offices, great all inclusive facilities, private office, almost like running your own business, great opportunity to build good relationships with members and change peoples lives, I liked that we had weekly meetings, training and help when we needed it. They really invest in training you properly. They ask for input when making the bi-weekly work schedules. Sales contests and theme days are fun help with morale.

Consmanagers tend to micromanage, very long hours, shifts are 10-12 hours/day, 5-7 days a week. Pay isn't great for all the work put in. Making calls, mostly cold calls is never fun and there is a minimum of 150 calls a day. I had issues with taking time off for military duty. It is a male dominated job so you have to be a strong, independent, street smart woman...this is not necessarily a con, as it wasn't for me, however some women wouldn't cut it. You have to workout before or after shifts, when I started I was told I could workout during my shift if it was slow...this was never the case, as you would have to be WAY above goal to be allowed to do so and even then you are supposed to help the team reach goal, so there really is no extra time in a shift.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more military friendly, accepting, understanding and supportive. Do not micromanage and add more pay to membership advisors pay rates. Give better employee discounts or at least let us try things for free so we can gain the experience to tell (sell) to our members.

High Quality and Cutting Edge Company

Aquatics Lifeguard (Current Employee)
Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Life Time Fitness part-time for more than a year

ProsFun and Energetic Staff Team
Amazing work enviroment

ConsProblem solving in terms of member complaints

Member Services Associate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Life Time Fitness

ProsFree Membership
Amazing Facilities
Company Culture is progressive

ConsLittle to no upward mobility
High turnover of high school employees
GM tends to be lazy

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees adequately for how much you cost to members and you'll find better work ethic in them

Great place to instruct. Awesome members

Group Fitness Instructor (Current Employee)
Oak Grove, MO (US)

I have been working at Life Time Fitness part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat Flexibility and workplace environment

ConsNo deal breakers. Is a small gym but very well-kept

Challenging but rewarding

I have been working at Life Time Fitness full-time

ProsFast paced, highly demanding organization that attempts to be on the cutting edge of all things Healthy way of life.

ConsWork life suffers almost constantly
Focus on hitting current month numbers outweighs everything else that might be of any importance

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your team members- we love what Lifetime stands for but too many are put out by the amazingly high demands of the company.

Opportunities if you're ready to work hard and meet monthly revenue goals

Certified Personal Trainer (Current Employee)
Schaumburg, IL (US)

I have been working at Life Time Fitness full-time for less than a year

ProsOpportunities to make a high income as a personal trainer

Ability to help people achieve their fitness goals.

For those who are dedicated, there are opportunities for advancement

Ability to set your own schedule once you establish yourself as consistently able to bring in 10k revenue (again this takes time and dedication but it is certainly attainable)

They don't hire anybody off the street to train. They require some form of certification, plus the attainment of NASM CPT within the first 6 months of employment

ConsTakes time and dedication to get your personal business up and running
Some clubs perform better than others. Know that the club you work at can effect your earning potential
Until you are consistently hitting the 10K monthly revenue mark, you are cemented into a 6am-3pm or a 1pm-9pm schedule, and one of your assigned workdays is on the weekend

Advice to Senior ManagementMore than just putting top earners in ADH and DH positions, do your homework and make sure they are qualified to lead and motivate their team to success. This has been hit and miss in my experience.

Personal Trainer

Personal Trainer (Former Employee)
Florham Park, NJ (US)

I worked at Life Time Fitness full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood pay (if you work hard), great facility

Conslack of additional education, can't control hours, customer service is so-so

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining training training of current personal trainers to help continue their educational growth

Registered Dietitian

I have been working at Life Time Fitness full-time

ProsYoung Environment, Fun and Laid Back

ConsDifficult to ways to optimize pay out. Have been struggling for almost a year to find work-life balance and pay my bills while working 50+ hours/week

Advice to Senior ManagementBaseline salary so trainers/RDs/ etc. can get by and stick around

Fun interactive

I have been working at Life Time Fitness

ProsLove that I can work out for free get my hair done nails, massage, facials andeat all at one place pluss the tips are awsome grate commission on services and product and 40% off on all of it.

ConsNo out side marketing so buliding a client base can be difficult not alot of education and little growth in spa department start off hourly pay sucks.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more cosmetic services like make up and lashes offer payed education and out side marketing

No work Life Balance

I have been working at Life Time Fitness

ProsPay as a Manager is very good. Great People! Free family membership.

Consno work life balance for someone with a family. very quota driven which makes you take the eye off the goal of making people healthy. you sell bad memberships that you know will attrit out just to get your goal.

Worked for Life Time Fitness? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Life Time Fitness reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Life Time Fitness CEO Bahram Akradi. All 393 reviews are posted anonymously by Life Time Fitness employees.