LifeCare Hospitals

Updated 10 October 2014
2.2

CEO

cook

Current Employee - Cook in Sarasota, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Cook in Sarasota, FL (US)

I have been working at LifeCare Hospitals full-time (less than an year)

Pros

food was well priced for all

Cons

management was not helpful or supportive

Good place to start your career

I have been working at LifeCare Hospitals full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lifecare is a great place if you are starting your career. Work/life balance is a huge plus.

Cons

The company does not care about keeping their good employees and getting rid of the bad. Management does not listen to their employees, morale is low, pay is not competitive.

Listen to your employees and reward your good ones. They actually have a lot of inside knowledge of what is really going on in the company. The company has lost a lot of good employees because they were too cheap to pay them what they are worth.

A stable work environment with some reasonable perks

Current Employee - Central Coding Specialist in Plano, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Central Coding Specialist in Plano, TX (US)

I have been working at LifeCare Hospitals full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked in the medical coding department. There was a good work-life balance. The coding lead/managers were always helpful and supportive. The people I worked with in my department and at the corporate office were all great. When I worked there, there was excellent time off/vacation. I was able to work 8 hours a day everyday, and when my time was up, I was done for the day.

Cons

The health insurance progressively got worse. There was pressure from upper management in regards to medical coding that felt like it could become noncompliant over time. As a medical coder, the field wasn't well trained on clinical documentation needs, which could be problematic when need to get information clarified.

An improved clinical documentation program would make a world of difference on revenue and compliance.

They are running us into the ground.

I have been working at LifeCare Hospitals full-time

Pros

None. If I could have given zero stars, I would have.

Cons

They bought us from a company that was great to work for. They said they would show us "how a hospital is run." First, they declared bankruptcy, and now they are cutting back so much that full-time people are only getting about 25 hours a week. At this rate, I'll be out of PTO time soon. They still expect all the work to get done, but in much less time, with fewer people. Morale is terrible. They took a great hospital and they ruined it.

I have been told that a casual employee has to stay on the schedule in place of me, even though I am full-time and my hours have been cut back severely. I was told that we have to keep the casuals happy, or we won't have them when we need them. That implies that casuals are more important to you than full-time people. Why is that? Is it because you don't have to pay for their benefits or give them raises? Do you really think people aren't going to figure this out? If you want casuals so bad, be careful what you wish for, because you will end up with only casuals and part-timers when all your full-time employees get disgusted and leave.

CEO WORTHLESS AND HAS SURROUNDED HIMSELF WITH MINDLESS FOLLOWERS

Former Employee - Management in Dayton, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Management in Dayton, OH (US)

I worked at LifeCare Hospitals full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Humm, give me a minute

Cons

Management from the Local CEO Down completely cliqueish, undereducated and undertrained. In short a complete clusterfunk. The CEO shows up less than 50% of the time, blows hot air, his management team, with only a notable exception or two, is made up of third stringers that couldn't get hired anywhere else. Corporate tolerates and condones this.

Fire yourselves

ok for a start

I have been working at LifeCare Hospitals (less than an year)

Pros

small , some flexibility, no one to bother you if you like to work alone

Cons

too much work , not enough man power, everything falls on you head , leaders dont care, jst want the jobs done

visit and treat each department equally

Horrendous Patient Conditions-DON'T LEAVE YOUR FAMILY MEMBERS HERE

I have been working at LifeCare Hospitals full-time

Pros

NONE- They could care less about their patients

Cons

I would give them a zero if possible. My dad went there because he has COPD and pneumonia. He has dementia as well. They kept him under "restraints" keeping his arms tied to the bed his entire stay which was about a month. He came out with serious bed sores, toe fungus, toenails an inch too long and bleeding, continued pneumonia because they kept him strapped down like an animal, and would rarely feed him because they kept him tied to the bed so he couldn't feed himself. He was lucky if someone showed up to feed him. DON'T SEND YOUR LOVED ONES HERE. THEY SHOULD BE SHUT DOWN.

Take care of your patients for a change. The state should shut all of these down.

learning experience

Former Employee - Health Care Provider in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Health Care Provider in San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at LifeCare Hospitals full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

teamwork educational,teaching hospital,comfort care,compassion always a challeng,pts contions constantly changing and knowing what to do.

Cons

doctors at times didn't want to listen to me they had a god complex,lazy nurses,nurses that did not know what they were doing.

it is not all about sticking to a budget it's call caring for the pt.

Horrendous!!!! They do not care about there employees at all!!!!!

Current Employee - Respiratory Therapist in Mechanicsburg, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Respiratory Therapist in Mechanicsburg, PA (US)

I have been working at LifeCare Hospitals

Pros

I'm sorry but the only reason I work for them is because our previous co was purchased by them & I had no choice. I was optimistic when they took over but that is gone. There horrible & could care less about there employees & in turn that directly reflects on how much they care about the patients in the facility

Cons

Absolutely everything!!!!! The turn over since they came is insane & they just don't care. They cut our hours tremendously & being a hired full time employee being forced to use all our PTO & dealing w unacceptable loss of hours( like 20-25 per pay) has really taken it's toll on everyone. They treat us like slaves wanting 1 person to handle a patient load of like 15-20 patients is not ok nor safe. All they care about is there bottom line apparently not realising that the employees are the face of there hospital & when u work them to death & treat them like garbage how are we supposed todo our job adequately & gi e the patients the care they allare paying for & deserve. I wouldn't recommend anyone to this hospital & that is very sad because before they came along I as well as many others loved there job now it's just where we go to pay our bills. I've talked to corporate regarding this & they don't care In the least.

Show the people who run your hospital (ie the employees) the respect we've earned & deserve & know it's not all about you. The patients are the priority & maybe if u wanted your hospital to be more successful you would act that way. I wish someone would take your hours from youikd you've done to us so you could see what your doing

my " rose colored glasses" fell off !

Current Employee - Employee in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Employee in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at LifeCare Hospitals

Pros

~for the most part, excellent coworkers.
    ~great doctors, nutritionist, administration, case management, nice building.

Cons

~bullying towards employees by loudmouth employees.
    ~direct/indirect harassment from management.....this is unexceptable.
    ~ tolerance for those employees who constantly decide not to show up to work.
    ~as of late,EMPLOYEE/PATIENT SAFETY..lousy working equipment/ adjusting the nursing to patient ratio for PROPER correct care.
    ~not backing up your employees.
    ~correcting or repremanding employees in public....REMEMBER ...you were there once.
    ~backlash/or just plain lying when coming to some mamnagement with problems and/or questions

~to the ceo...this is a great hospital, please take care of/keep in touch with your staff who have direct care with your patients. we need to be physically,mentally and spiritually healthy to better serve our patients....thank you....remember the mission statement....and i think it will get and stay a fantastic place to work and be if your the patient.