Lincare Holdings

Updated 21 November 2014
Updated 21 November 2014
1.9

John P. Byrnes

Pros
  • Entry level position into healthcare sales industry (in 7 reviews)

• The compensation is good and they take care of their sales reps (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has lost sight of the roots of it's business - their employees (in 34 reviews)

• in the span of 5 years we went through 6 Sales Reps (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Good working with bad management.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Madison, IN (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Madison, IN (US)

I worked at Lincare Holdings full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work was reasonable but not appreciated no matter how much or how well done.

Cons

Management was political and biased.

Care for your employees not your bonus. Treat all employees with respect.

I think they are getting an unfair rap.

Current Employee - Service Representative
    Current Employee - Service Representative

I have been working at Lincare Holdings full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've worked at this job about 6 months now. First thing I want to say is this job is what you make it. Garbage In Garbage Out. This job has many pros though.

First, You get to meet great people. I love (almost) all of my patients. You grow very fond of them and are genuinely concerned for their well being. You provide a service to them that they cannot live without. Sometimes you start to feel like a milkman slinging oxygen cylinders, and then you get that patient that just "can't thank you enough". It makes you feel a real sense of pride and accomplishment.

Next, You learn a lot about the medical field. I had never even considered a medical job until I took this job. I've learned so much in the 6 months that I've been here so far, and have loved nearly every minute of it. I'm actually very seriously considering going back to school to be an RT.

You are provided with uniforms. Gas for service reps is paid via a fleet card. There is massive growth potential. Our regional VP actually started as a service rep in the same center I am working in now. There is virtually no limit on overtime as long as you are actually being productive. Pay may be a bit low for the industry standard, but is far more than I was making as an assistant manager before I started here.

Teamwork. With the exception of a few bad apples, we really all have each others backs. Our Center manager will jump in and pick up stops if he needs to. Our Healthcare specialist jumped in and replace a failing concentrator for us the other day, and even our sales rep did an o2 setup when no one else could get to it!

The people I work with are fantastic. I absolutely love them all. We love to cut up at our morning huddles, and frequently have lunches together and after work get togethers. I have probably made some friends for life.

Cons

Lots of pros, but there are some cons as well.

Work life balance is a HUGE one. If you are seriously considering this job, be prepared to work LONG LONG hours. On a good week, I'll pull about 50 hours. I've been known to put in 80 though. You have a 25-30 stop day? You'll probably be out driving until 10 or 11 pm. If you don't think you can put in a 14-18 hour day, don't apply for this job!

On Call is terrible. When you are on call, you live in fear of your phone. Once you get some time in on the job, some of the calls can be taken care of with a troubleshooting discussion. That being said, not all of them can. You WILL get a call at 2 am to drive over an hour one way to replace a machine. Prepare yourself for it. You will have a saturday where you have 2-3 setups coming in at the same time. (Setups take approximately 1 hour apiece, give or take) If you don't feel like you can deal with this, this may not be a good job for you.

Training is quite frankly abysmal. My training consisted of one day of paperwork, one day of videos, about 6 days of riding with other reps, and then I was running a route on my own. I felt completely thrown in the water and dealt with about 2 solid months of stress. About the only thing I was comfortable with was delivering cylinders, which is only a small tip of the iceberg. I was only shown one setup before I did one alone. Forget about concentrator checks and DME setups. That was just kind of a dive in and figure it out experience.

Procedures and routines are sorely lacking, so myself and the Senior Service Representative are working together to remedy that at our center. (Management is always willing to take in new suggestions and ideas.) You will just kind of be left to run your route. If you are disorganized, good luck.

You have to provide your own GPS. This is petty, but it would be nice if one were provided. And trust me, you think you know your own hometown, but you will drive on roads you didn't know you didn't know. You WILL need a GPS.

You have to do all paperwork by hand. And there is A LOT. On a typical cylinder stop you will have to fill out an entry on a Delivery log including in time and out time, patients name, description of stop. You will have to fill out a cylinder log including date, type of cylidner, number delivered, lot number, and patients name. You will have to fill out a delivery ticket detailing all delivery items. A new setup is nearly a dozen hand written pages. You will learn to despise paperwork and hoard pens.

If your office is a liquid oxygen office that doesn't do milk canning, you will have to get a class B CDL with hazmat endorsement. This will be done on your own time. It's challenging to pass, and not cheap. I had to pay $100 for the CDL test (Better pass first try!) and $85 for D.O.T. fingerprinting. (This was reimbursed, the CDL test is not.) You have 70 days to pass this. This was a source for much stress in my first few months.

Even though it looks like there are more cons than pros, I just wanted to give a realistic look into the company and what it is to be a SR. At the end of the day, the pros FAR FAR outweigh the cons. If you are willing to work hard, and aren't afraid of long hours, this is a wonderful job.

Invest in a better and more thorough training program, and you may not have quite so high turnover. Consider working with your SR's to develop policies and procedures, find the ones that work, and implement them corporate wide. I have worked as a sub in a couple of different centers, and no two centers are the same. This should not be the case. Consider switching to tablet based paperwork that could be synced and printed later on at the office. And seriously provide GPSs! Getting lost after every stop for the first month or so? NOT FUN!

Great stepping stone

Current Employee - Medical Sales Representative in Lynnwood, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Medical Sales Representative in Lynnwood, WA (US)

I have been working at Lincare Holdings (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to break into medical sales industry.

Cons

Huge turnover, slow commission pay. Unqualified management.

value your employees

Great learning experience, poor management.

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Clearwater, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Clearwater, FL (US)

I have been working at Lincare Holdings full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good for getting experience
    Provides benefits
    Stable company

Cons

Pay is the bottom of the barrel. Raises are non existent/minimal and are dangled in front of you only to be taken away. Being there for 5-7 years and only getting a $2000 raise is a bit ridiculous. Good enough to do the job for 5-7 years but not good enough to pay?! Office culture is horrible. Your co-workers may be pleasant but management has little/no idea on motivation and training and encouragement. No sense of "team" in the group. Work atmosphere can be very awkward and un-enjoyable. Security is a priority in the healthcare industry, but watching your employees go in and out of the building through a turnstile is a bit much. Maybe pony up just a little and hire some people without college degrees to get the departments paper and maintain the copier, while not a big deal its belittling.

Communication is KEY!! Don't be afraid to offer positive news, employees like that sort of thing. Management needs to do more for the employees. Happy wife = Happy Life.....well happy employees = excellent work. Give more encouragement, offer training and advice more frequently. Try some team building exercises. You are with your co-workers for a big part of your day/week/life, make it enjoyable. Complacent employees are made not hired. Every person hired was selected by you which means at some point they were liked. They can return to that same level of passion if managed correctly.

Bored, Frustrated Sales Rep.

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Lincare Holdings full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fairly decent commission schedule. No draw. Good initial medical sales training.

Cons

Stale marketing material. Too much paper. Not dynamic enough. Falling behind competition due to technology and stock prices.

Stop acquiring small businesses and put money into your own. Give your field personnel proper marketing tools that makes sense too their market.

Area Manager is horrible

I worked at Lincare Holdings

Pros

Your co-workers are the best

Cons

leadership, compensation and home life do not jive

Unfortunate Experience putting profits in front of people

Former Employee - Area Manager
    Former Employee - Area Manager

I worked at Lincare Holdings full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful colleagues; mission is vital to those in need

Cons

Personal growth not realistic; regional and upper management very negative

Please, go on Undercover Boss and get a clue as to what your people are going through. Place them in decent offices with supportive calls and advice

Great starter job for medical sales

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Birmingham, AL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Birmingham, AL (US)

I have been working at Lincare Holdings full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Biggest company of its kind in the world

Cons

Way too micromanaged, every center operates differently

Share the wealth!

Healthcare Specialist

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Lincare Holdings full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Traveling to different areas daily.

Cons

They expect too high of visits a day especially in rural areas.

Make center managers take a leadership class because all three that I worked for were horrible managers.

Unnoticing

Current Employee - Auditor
    Current Employee - Auditor

I have been working at Lincare Holdings full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent, fun coworkers (for the most part). The pay is decent for my lifestyle and the benefits aren't bad. The OT is widely available.

Cons

I'm gonna toot my own horn for a minute. I came into this company and quickly picked up the work and became good at it. Since then, I've taken on other tasks and responsibilities to impress my management and move ahead in the company. That's not going to happen. My boss claims he/she is always open to sitting with us and listening to ideas for improvement but never writes back to emails, door is always closed and is in a meeting with someone, and is literally the least accessible person on the floor.

It's ridiculous. I recommend working here for work experience, not for a career. Your hard work will not be rewarded for what it's worth.

Also many other of the employees enjoy complaining about their workload instead of just doing it. If you're a hard worker who is annoyed by others laziness then this is not for you.

Tell your employees you want to hear them and then actually do it. Stop being g hard to reach and build relationships with. Your employees notice