Lockheed Martin Reviews

3.4
2,332 Reviews

Lockheed Martin President & COO Marillyn Hewson
Marillyn Hewson

Pros
  • This is really a wonderful place for a working mother - great work/life balance (in 201 reviews)

• 9/80 work schedules for many a real plus (alternate Fridays off) (in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Depending on the program your work life balance can suffer (in 46 reviews)

• This is a large company with all the usual shortfalls of management (in 68 reviews)

More Highlights

Secure jobs with reasonable salaries

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Melbourne
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Melbourne

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Good company to work for and the job tasks are interesting with the support of talented individuals.
    Strategic direction is solid with the backing of the US parent company.

Cons

Quality processes can be lacking in some areas and need to followed by many employees.
    Due to rapid growth a new work site is seriously in order.
    Middle and uppermangement tend to make decisions behind closed doors and decisions are usually reactive.

Take the time to listen to your engineers. They want to help if you support them. You career incentives need are good looking at because they dont exist, leaving a fairly unmotivated employees.

Excellent, ethical company

Current Employee - Program Manager
    Current Employee - Program Manager

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

There are several opportunities to change jobs frequently if this is what you enjoy. Contracts come and go which may be a CON for some. If you have been identified as a high-potential leader, adjacent opportunities will surface. Lockheed has a history of innovation and developing cutting edge technology; think: Mars Rover, F35, Cyber Security and many more. Probably some of the smartest people I know work at Lockheed.

LM is also the most ethical company I have ever worked for and while there may be examples otherwise will deliver what it commits to customers. I have seen them lose millions on contracts to meet deliveries where others may walk or deliver half-baked solutions.

Cons

Lockheed is a typical fortune 50 business with a large bureaucratic system. Getting things done can be difficult although this has improved over the years as portions of the company have contracted due to smaller government budgets. Lockheed is very structured with a lot of individuals in support functions which could be seen as a PRO for some.

Management success at Lockheed is determined by your ability to plan, execute and deliver. Technical staff are expected to innovate and protect contracts from failing by ensuring technical solutions are sound and scalable systems. Transparency is incredibly important as well as chain of command.

Sr mechanical designer

Former Employee - Senior Mechanical Designer  in  West Palm Beach, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Mechanical Designer in West Palm Beach, FL (US)

I worked at Lockheed Martin as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Interesting work, good use of GD&T.

Cons

Intermittent assignments while employed, short contract.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Financial Analyst
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you want to have work-life balance, Lockheed Martin is a great company to work for. Plenty of holiday time, flexible hours (most departments, depends on manager), job security usually stable. Great tuition reimbursement plan. Work load is very reasonable. Professional environment. Many locations work on a 9/80 schedule. Great benefits.

Cons

Growth opportunities within the company are there, but you have to be aggressive and know the right people to move up. Pay is decent, no complaints but not competitive. Very political. Performance review process is not popular with employees, although I never had any major issues other than frustration with average reviews.

Focus on retention! I left the company simply because there was no fight to keep me. If you let your employees feel unimportant, they will leave for new opportunities.

Large Manufacturing Company's

Former Employee - Aircraft Mechanic  in  Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Aircraft Mechanic in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Pay and Benefits, and Overall Relaxed work environment.

Cons

Lay-offs, adversary attitude between union and company. hard to advance with in the company based on experience, only quality desired is a degree from university.

I think you miss out on opportunity by not considering those with out degree, although you invest in workers by refunding then for their education cost. you do not promote them for their efforts and assure they will work for you when finished, there for you train another company's worker.

Great Starting Point

Former Employee - Intern  in  Orlando, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in Orlando, FL (US)

I worked at Lockheed Martin as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Friendly environment, management and co-workers want you to succeed, accommodates schedule, wants student to place school as a priority

Cons

Training could be more streamlined

Inclusive career driven customer friendly company

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

military friendly inclusive work environment

Cons

very large corporation with multiple business units that are constantly reorganizing.

Experience Depends on Team

Former Employee - Senior Information Assurance Engineer  in  Lexington, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Information Assurance Engineer in Lexington, MA (US)

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The team i worked with was extremely helpful and supportive.

Cons

Trying to relocate within the company was extremely difficult and ultimately i had to change employers.

Excellent support of my career

Current Employee - Intern
    Current Employee - Intern

I have been working at Lockheed Martin as an intern for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent management responsiveness to personal career goals. Exciting and challenging work

Cons

Corporate Bureaucracy, cutbacks. Defense industry in general is struggling

As a government contractor never working at a company facility I still feel included.

Current Employee - Help Desk Analyst  in  Saint Paul, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Saint Paul, MN (US)

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

extensive benefits and stock purchase and other financial benefits along with training and tuition/certification
    reimbursment up to $5400 a year

Cons

feeling dislocated from management and benefits it took me over two years to find out the opportunities available.

HR needs to have a presentation of benefits and when they are available to new employees.

Worked for Lockheed Martin? Contribute to the Community!