Lockheed Martin

3.5
2,684 Reviews

Lockheed Martin President & COO Marillyn Hewson
Marillyn Hewson

Pros
  • This is really a wonderful place for a working mother - great work/life balance (in 222 reviews)

• Work life balance; Good Benefits; 9/80 work weeks; Pension (although this has been eliminated for new employees) (in 96 reviews)

Cons
  • My program had mandatory overtime, seems like work/life balance might not be the best (in 50 reviews)

• For a large company you would expect industry setting standards for benefits (in 70 reviews)

More Highlights

Secure jobs with reasonable salaries

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Melbourne
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Melbourne

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Good company to work for and the job tasks are interesting with the support of talented individuals.
    Strategic direction is solid with the backing of the US parent company.

Cons

Quality processes can be lacking in some areas and need to followed by many employees.
    Due to rapid growth a new work site is seriously in order.
    Middle and uppermangement tend to make decisions behind closed doors and decisions are usually reactive.

Take the time to listen to your engineers. They want to help if you support them. You career incentives need are good looking at because they dont exist, leaving a fairly unmotivated employees.

Great environment, fun staff.

Current Employee - College Student Tech Spec in Littleton, CO (US)
    Current Employee - College Student Tech Spec in Littleton, CO (US)

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Smart people, great pay, relocation benefits, great position for an internship.

Cons

Moral obligations can affect work. Process can be slow, severe on boarding delays. Mostly just issues due to large company size.

Help new employees get started quicker. Prepare before for arrivals and workload.

Great experience to work with a well respected company in the defense industry.

Former Employee - Hiring Manager in Ellicott City, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Hiring Manager in Ellicott City, MD (US)

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to move around a gain experience. Networking with others and having a career path was very exciting. Worked there for ten years and had five different assignments. Was able to get a Master's degree and use what I learned on the job.

Cons

Experienced professionals are leaving or getting laid off. Defense industry competition is shrinking.

Rehire experienced professionals.

Great technology... big business... good experience if you can avoid the bureaucracy

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Akron, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Akron, OH (US)

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Top notch technical opportunities if you're aggressive and motivated. The people are also great and invite a team spirit.

Cons

As a big business, they sometimes fail to see the trees in the forest. You'll need to be willing to navigate a political environment to excel.

No specific advice. Recommend embracing a "small business" mentality.

I greatly enjoyed working for LM. They offer great work ethics, very organized business and great people.

Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great family oriented and an understanding of lives challenges

Cons

I DO NOT HAVE ANY

Employee Perception

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Excellent pay - great co-workers; excellent training; great volunteer opportunities;

Cons

work-life balance; redeployment efforts; find a way to hold employee clearances so they are not lost when working on projects not requiring that level of classification.

I think it is important to work to keep the employees you have. When a program ends, it is very frustrating to spend so much time trying to find an internal job and to keep getting rejected. A matrix organization was put in place to resolve these issues and from personal experience, it hasn't helped at all.

It is a wonderful values based company

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Bethesda, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Bethesda, MD (US)

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

The mission, people, challenges, opportunities, benefits

Cons

Depends greatly on the US Defense Budget

Keep doing all the wonderful things you are doing!

Good place to work

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Good benefits, salary, management leaves you to do your work.

Cons

Wholly dependent upon government contracts, funding is always an issue. Not much opportunity for advancement. upward or sideways. Technical training is available for developers, but otherwise, not. Director recently told team that we need to make our own investment in our training to show our commitment to Lockheed.

Good management, but some unethical game playing due to funding pressues

A professional and ethical company. Good to have on a resume.

Former Employee - Project Lead in Rockville, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Project Lead in Rockville, MD (US)

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lockheed Martin is a great company to work for. They take care of their employees and tier customers. They are fair and pay reasonably well. They encourage hiring and promoting a diverse work force and encourages to all to participate. They work with leading edge technologies and have a great and well deserved reputation among it's customers. When my contract was ending, they offered my another position (although much farther then I wanted to commute) or a very nice severance pay. After leaving LM, they also offered a very good training program to find a new job. I would be glad to work for them again.

Cons

They are a big company and it is easy to get lost in cracks. A bit top heavy....lot of VPs and Managers. I would like to see more spent on training to keep employees up on the latest software and hardware. Sometime too much time is spent on compliance training and performance reporting, but I think the process is being looked at and streamlined and this is only a minor issue. The expect you to work 60+ works a week, but they allow work at home when appropriate.

Don't let your employees fall between the cracks. Encourage them to look forward and be clear with them about opportunities and cuts. Try to ensure that the Functional Managers really know what the employee is doing on a daily basis. For the most part, follow LM policies and you should do well.