Lockheed Martin

Updated Jul 20, 2014

3.4 2,211 reviews

Lockheed Martin President & COO Marillyn Hewson

Marillyn Hewson

Pros
  • This is really a wonderful place for a working mother - great work/life balance(in 199 reviews)

• 9/80 work schedules for many a real plus (alternate Fridays off)(in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Depending on the program your work life balance can suffer(in 46 reviews)

• This is a large company with all the usual shortfalls of management(in 68 reviews)

2,211 Employee Reviews

Secure jobs with reasonable salaries

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Melbourne

ProsGood company to work for and the job tasks are interesting with the support of talented individuals.
    Strategic direction is solid with the backing of the US parent company.

ConsQuality processes can be lacking in some areas and need to followed by many employees.
    Due to rapid growth a new work site is seriously in order.
    Middle and uppermangement tend to make decisions behind closed doors and decisions are usually reactive.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to listen to your engineers. They want to help if you support them. You career incentives need are good looking at because they dont exist, leaving a fairly unmotivated employees.

I have wonderful coworkers, and amazing boss and perfect job tasks for my level and expectations.

Multi Functional Financial Analyst Asc (Current Employee) Fort Worth, TX (US)

ProsLM has a 9/80 schedule which is so convenient! The hours are great - OT is only needed for special projects and end-of-year closing. Each month we can accrue 10 hours of vacation time, and this never expires. Another perk of this company is how easy it is to talk to upper management. This has improved over the last several years.

ConsThe insurance benefits could definitely be better. I have heard the coverage use to be better, but now it covers less. For people with children on their insurance, it almost feels like the insurance is useless. Another disadvantage is the time it takes to get a promotion. Going from a level 1 to a level 2 takes about 4 years, and from a level 2 to a level 3 takes even longer.

Advice to Senior ManagementA lot of complaints about not able to get a promotion are due to the lack of budget. Why do other aspects of the company seem to have a bigger budget since they are able to do promotions more often? Maybe we could cut back on hiring retired VPs that come back as overpaid consultants, and use that part of the budget for better use towards current employees!

My experience with Lockheed Martin has been a very rewarding experience where the positve experiences surpass the neg.

Electronics Engineer (Current Employee) Kant (Kyrgyzstan)

ProsThe Lockheed Martin culture creates an atmosphere that provides all the tools for an individuals success. How successful one becomes depends on the effort of an to heach his/ her goals.

ConsBecause Lockheed Martin is such a large company one can become a number and be overlooked for potential promotion and opportunity based on individual seniority status

Advice to Senior ManagementPast performance and potential for success should be given careful consideration on a case by case basis when selections for promotion opportunities are made.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work and retire

Network Engineer (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD (US)

ProsLockheed martin gives you opportunity to grow

ConsToo big for every employees opinion to matter

Future?

ProsGood People, decent pay, good training

ConsLack of contracts and a future

Not Bad Overall

Systems Administrator Staff (Former Employee) Clarksburg, WV (US)

ProsTime off and vacation were good. The benefits were all right, but nothing outstanding.

ConsIt was tough to get promoted and most managers have the mindset that people can be replaced.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize talented employees and try to retain them.

Engineers experience at LM SSC

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA (US)

ProsGreat work/life balance and great colleagues. In some cases you are compensated for time worked after a predefined hourly gate.

ConsHard to find interesting work. If you want to work hard and learn it is sometimes difficult to find these opportunities. Promotions are hard to come by even after employees continue to perform well and have increased responsibilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your employees that continue to push for innovation and continue to perform with excellence.

Big company, lots of opportunities .

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSalary, benefits, management all good.

ConsCulture shock for some: individual contributors must pay their dues (promotions over set periods), overall above average work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunications don't always get to lower levels of employees, managers must do better job in communicating to all levels of employees

Highest standard, slowest promotions

Project Specialist Senior Staff (Current Employee)

ProsI've worked with many in leadership positions in Mission Systems and Training and to a great extent, they mean what they say about having integrity and delivering the right results for the customer. Schedule depends on the manager; mine gives me the autonomy and flexibility I need to run my job and my life without second-guessing.

ConsDefinite ethos of "pay your dues". Promotions are slow, and opportunities for promotions are rare, mainly due to the current lack of overall unit growth. Not easy to switch units either.

A good company to work for.

ProsFlexible work/time balance. There are opportunities to get involved in different projects and it's easy to move to different jobs.

ConsThe medical insurance plan is not as good as those offered by other companies. The yearly employee evaluation seems to reward the same people every time.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not force people into the lower tier in the yearly employee evaluation process. Don't make employees compete against each other since it doesn't help with teamwork.

Worked for Lockheed Martin? Contribute to the Community!