Lockton Companies

Updated 11 December 2014
3.8

Lockton Companies CEO and President John L. Lumelleau
John L. Lumelleau

Pros
  • Good hours, people, work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Lockton is a fun, fast paced work environment that allows you to set your own career path and goals (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nonexistent for employees in a supporting/shared services role (in 14 reviews)

• No opportunity to work from home or remotely, even just occasionally (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great People

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Lockton Companies as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

This is a place with very friendly people. They look out for each other and help where they can. Lockton isn't stingy with their time off and they know how to have a good time. Lots of training made available, if not specifically with them then they lead you in the right directions. This is a company that plays just as hard as they work. Lockton is very health focused and provides many ways to get involved, from company wide walks a couple times a month to in house fitness classes (for a small fee)

Cons

Pay; while I loved working for the company and everyone who works here, the pay is not enough. Health benefits are just ok, but they are offered. Working on the Plaza, it's horrible. Being walking distance from all the restaurants is fantastic, but the amount of traffic (car and person) is not worth it.
    Technology; Their network is beyond slow and the computers/systems definitely need to be updated.

If you want the good people, pay them what they're worth or they will move on.
    Update technology, your company depends on it. Give your people what they need to succeed in their job.

Great company!

I have been working at Lockton Companies

Pros

Culture, competitive environment, highly motivating employees.

Cons

Smaller salary in the beginning.

Retain good talent.

Good place to work, but not immune to big company issues

Former Employee - Associate Account Manager in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Associate Account Manager in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Lockton Companies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

On-site workout facility. Interesting location. Horizontal management structure provides ample opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Large company with inefficient systems. Unspoken rule to work extra and work during off hours in order to get ahead. A lot of initiatives from management with little understanding of how it affects employees.

Hire more people or provide employees with clearer guidelines regarding using your many customer service initiatives. A good idea is not a good idea if nobody buys in because they have no room in their workload to engage with it.

Zero Work/Life Balance

I worked at Lockton Companies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If coming into the company at an Account Executive level or higher, opportunity for growth is there, salary is fair, and much greater autonomy in managing your book of business than at competitors.

Cons

Office culture and expectations promote egregious levels of "sacrifice" for the company at the expense of having a life outside of work. If you are at a place in life where you can afford to place 95% of your waking energy into your job, then this is the place for you. If you value and want to cultivate many other areas of life (i.e. family, friendships, volunteer/service work, hobbies, etc.) or have extra-work commitments that you need to prioritize in life, then definitely not the place for you.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Summer Associate in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Summer Associate in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Lockton Companies as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great office culture, competitive benefits, room for growth. There are lots of very nice people that work there. They provide great hands-on training. Industry knowledge is unmatched. Commitment to customers is incredible.

Cons

Not very technologically friendly. The producers are partners, therefore they control a lot of the operations instead of just selling. Starting compensation is relatively low compared to others in the industry.

Best place to work

I have been working at Lockton Companies

Pros

People are fantastic and hard work is rewarded.

Cons

Work life balance can be difficult but they believe in family first. It is up to the associate to a manage that balance on their own terms.

Include more people when bringing on new clients.

Highly recommend

I have been working at Lockton Companies full-time

Pros

Great place to work. Fun environment, hard work is rewarded and a lot of opportunity for growth.

Cons

Work/life balance can be a challenge at times.

Company services clients well, but treats employees poorly.

I have been working at Lockton Companies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Truly embodies the "We live service" motto, but at the expense of the employee.

Cons

Zero work life balance. Get ready to work 80 hours a week to meet expectations. Expect a client list that is too long to manage. Pay is low.

Project Coordinator Role

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Lockton Companies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The project coordinator role or "PC" is the entry level position for a typical college graduate at Lockton. It is a great role and if you do do well you can advance quickly to a Account Manager position or "AM." Lockton offers great opportunities and training programs and has a great team atmosphere. At the Los Angeles office the majority of departments are very motivated and work well together. If you are still in school I would recommend first checking out Lockton internships to get a feel for the company. One of the best programs that Lockton offers is their Associate Account Manager program. The "AAM" program is a fully paid program and you switch with various teams and learn with experienced account managers. This is very similar to going to school and you receive on the job training.

Cons

The work life balance is average and is similar to most insurance carriers and big brokerages. I would also like to point out that each team is a different world and there are "better" teams within Lockton in terms of training and work ethic. I felt the PC training was very little and I feel that that PC's should receive more in depth training. This will result in better insurance knowledge and growth. Also, I recommend for all recent PC's to take lots of notes and be prepared to do lots of Excel work.

The Lockton Los Angeles office overall, is a fantastic work place and you will learn a lot about insurance. I recommend that the PC's receive more in depth training, I feel this will result in a better more knowledgeable associate. I also recommend for upper management to listen to any Lockton employee complaints. I felt at times many high position people got away with very rude behavior. If you feel something is wrong in your team do not be afraid to report to HR.

Company believes in their Associates

Current Employee - Content Design Specialist in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Content Design Specialist in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Lockton Companies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fantastic company. Recently found myself feeling stagnated in my current role, and received an incredible amount of support and encouragement to start searching out a role that would be a better fit. This company believes in working hard and playing even harder. If you put in the effort you will be rewarded.

Cons

Definitely can feel like a heavy workload from time to time. You can sometimes feel like you don't have a lot of direction, but Lockton believes in testing you and making you earn your keep.

Lockton Companies Photos