Los Alamos National Laboratory

Updated 23 November 2014
3.5

Los Alamos National Laboratory Director & President Charles McMillan
Charles McMillan

Pros
  • Fantastic work life balance, secure and stable funding in most areas (in 11 reviews)

• Good pay and benefits, however culture has shifted over the years (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Located in a remote, small town (may be a plus, depending on your preferences) (in 8 reviews)

• too much red tape, bloated management, oversight and mistrust (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Experience

I worked at Los Alamos National Laboratory as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Wonderful place to work at. The people are really nice and try to guide you throughout your internship.

Cons

There are no negative comments

Great Lab, boring town

I worked at Los Alamos National Laboratory as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I was there for a summer internship. The research was very interesting, and that got me very motivated to do the work. I learned a lot that summer, it was one of my favorite research projects to date! My mentors and everyone in my group were all amazing people: very friendly and very smart, and they really cared about their interns. The pay was also very good, considering I was only an undergraduate at the time.

Cons

It's placed in a very boring, small town. There's one movie theater and a few restaurants and that's about it. If it wasn't for this I would have seriously considered returning to Los Alamos as a postdoc after my PhD. But I like big cities so for me that's a deal breaker. If you're OK with commuting everyday you could live in Santa Fe (a lot of people do!), but I find that would be too much of a haste for me.

LANL

I worked at Los Alamos National Laboratory full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

LANL has some very talented staff that does great work.

Cons

Talented staff is thwarted by bureaucracy which has increased overhead and decreased performance simultaneously. Rules are not employed uniformed.

Double-dipping was NOT a good idea and has adversely affected people relying on the pension fund.

Like being a kid in a candy store, but you can only choose one candy.

Former Employee - Scientist II in Los Alamos, NM (US)
    Former Employee - Scientist II in Los Alamos, NM (US)

I worked at Los Alamos National Laboratory full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good holiday, vacation and sick leave with mild time flexibility in a small, rocky mountain town. Great ergonomic support, computer monitors and supercomputing opportunities. Many technologies to play with across a broad corporate structure. Significant training opportunities. Engineers and physical scientists are highly valued.

Cons

Approved software is greatly restricted. The town is too small and remote for most people, or at least most people's families. The culture values narrow specialists -- to be the best in the world at one small thing. Most people get type cast before they find that one thing they like, and have to stay in their original role. Most of the place runs on software with mild software engineering and a computer science phobia. Computer scientists will be lonely.

High morale leads to hard work and innovation. Boost moral so people return to their late night work habits and world class research publications.

15+ experience providing R&D and Nuclear Material Support.

I have been working at Los Alamos National Laboratory

Pros

Good pay and benefits, however culture has shifted over the years. There is opportunity to do some diverse work at LANL, everything from weapons research to bio science.

Cons

Support to do real science is often times a hold up. Promotions tend to come by who you know vs what you know.

Fulfilling Internship Experience

Former Employee - Budget Analyst in Los Alamos, NM (US)
    Former Employee - Budget Analyst in Los Alamos, NM (US)

I worked at Los Alamos National Laboratory as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The facility has developed an internship program that allows students to work directly beneath a mentor. The close connection between me and my mentor helped me develop my professional skills.

Cons

The town is small and everybody knows everybody. I've seen that the small-town mentality can diminish some goals and passion of employees.

Geophysics intern

I have been working at Los Alamos National Laboratory

Pros

Very intelligent people, laid back workplace, 980

Cons

Lots of bureaucracy, hard to see things being implemented

Great place to start a career

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Los Alamos, NM (US)
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Los Alamos, NM (US)

I have been working at Los Alamos National Laboratory full-time

Pros

Academic freedom, work-life balance, meaningful work, fun people, great work environment, compensation and benefits. People at all levels can contribute in big ways. Great town for families.

Cons

Long commute if you don't want to live in Los Alamos. There is relatively little (permanent) new blood. The bureaucracy is so expensive that it is difficult to get external funding for research projects, and if you are an engineer, it is sometimes difficult to win internal funding for research.

Nothing they don't already seem to be considering.

Very good place to work for postdoc

Current Employee - Postdoctoral in Los Alamos, NM (US)
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral in Los Alamos, NM (US)

I have been working at Los Alamos National Laboratory full-time (more than an year)

Pros

LANL is a place where scientific staff members are devoted to supporting the career development of postdocs. Entire career support department and career fair are organized for that purpose. Salary is good and support for travel and purchasing books are excellent.

Cons

Bureacractic procedures in usual government organizations. As long as you know how to navigate the system and try to make arrangements ahead of time, this usually is not a big problem.

Senior management takes too much overhead from scientific staffs. For the place to grow, it has to install a system to re-assign old staff members who are not doing research and mainly sitting on internal funding (with the postdocs being the workhorse in those projects). Only then can it free up resources to bring in and keep new talents.

Not All It Could Be

Current Employee - Technical Non-staff in Los Alamos, NM (US)
    Current Employee - Technical Non-staff in Los Alamos, NM (US)

I have been working at Los Alamos National Laboratory full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good people. Mission oriented. Largely excellent teamwork. Wonderful natural surroundings. If in weapons work there is high job security (says a lot about human nature). Excellent area to raise children.Excellent community services. Lots of bright people. Great weather.

Cons

Poor pay and advancement for non-scientists. For-profit management appears to be adding to a perceived decline in worker morale. Dearth of decent restaurants in local area. Local government by well- meaning amateurs, some of whom take themselves too seriously..

Don't kill the Goose for the bonus.

Los Alamos National Laboratory Photos