Los Angeles USD

Los Angeles USD Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Los Angeles USD Superintendent John Deasy

John Deasy

Pros
  • Great benefits and work / life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Not working for a corporation, doing a social good, some union protection against overly abusive supervisors, good work/life balance and benefits (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The budget cuts and beauracracy is difficult to deal with (in 7 reviews)

• beaurocracy, micro manager, no room to go up (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

A great starting job.

Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsThe pay was O.K. The teachers were nice and pleasant. The office clerks were helpful

ConsWork was a little demanding. You don't get any benefit packages as part-time. Many students are disrespectful.

A great experience being that this was my first jog. I grew as an individual and made great relationships along the way.

Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) South Gate, CA (US)

ProsVery friendly and comfortable environment.

ConsNo paid holidays or vacation

Teacher Assistant

Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsI like working with LAUSD because it give you the chance for promotions. You don't have to stay with the position you start with, and the different locations.

ConsWell, working with different locations, that mean different personalities. Some time you work with people that don't have the same principle that hard work is intrinsically virtuous or worthy of reward. However, working with this company there are people who work with children that don't need to be working with them.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen having people working for your company, you need to know your employers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Job For College Students

Playground Supervisor (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsJob allows you to do HW or Studying while working. The pay is pretty good considering min wage is $9 anywhere else.

ConsIt does get boring because you can't do anything other than do your walking rounds every 15 mins. No raises on your wages and you can't move up unless you know people in management.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop preaching ethics and proper process when more than half of you don't do so...

Supervision Aid

Supervision Aid (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsGood Payment
    Flexible work schedules
    Summers off
    Great if you want to enter the educational field; good to get experience working with kids
    Good job for college student

ConsNo room for advancement
    Little working hours
    No benefits
    Not a job that challenges you and therefore not very satisfying

Teachers Assistant

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsEvery TAs duties aren't the same. Every school isn't same. As far as working in the adult education field, it's quite easy and simple. We're responsible for grading work and some office duties.

ConsWorking as a TA, we do not have the luxury of health benefits, sick time, paid vacations, or raises. It is rare to hear of a TA that full time.

You are alone (unsupported) in a sea of bureaucracy.

ProsYou can really develop as a Teacher within this district, and almost every Teacher I've met is honest, hard-working, and devoted to their classrooms as anyone could be. Since you know you're on your own, you learn how to make things happen without any support from District management. Your colleagues often become your best friends. Of course, the kids are wonderful, and worth all the struggle and effort. I'm not telling you anything new here when I say that Teachers have the hardest job in the world!

ConsBeing the 2nd largest district in the country has its challenges. Yes, the economy plunged, and so did this district. Laying off Teachers year after year is bad enough, but getting rid of school Nurses, Librarians, Custodial staff, Cafeteria staff, etc., meant that everyone suffered. I don't have to tell you that Teachers wear many hats, but serving breakfast in the classroom during instructional time stunned us all. Most of the decisions handed down from the district are meant to save money, sure. But finding ways to make money by implementing programs like "Breakfast in the Classroom (BIC) is plain scary. There is no regard to how Teachers vote. The district will do what it wants.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you're really in the business of educating our communities' children, then you MUST honor the hard-working professionals who live, eat, and breathe teaching. When you demonstrate over and over that you could care less about Teachers, you demonstrate you're not really in the business of providing the best possible chance these kids have at getting a high-quality education. Please don't destroy our Unions. Who else will protect us?

Great working with kids but the organization is disorganized and frustrating

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorking with inner-city children is the most rewarding work there is. Despite the initial lack of respect and trust, if you show them you are committed, they will love and respect you. The community is more supportive than you might think and there are plenty of private and corporate entities that will help out if you just ask.

The District also has resources they don't publicize, great health benefits, and lots of professional development opportunities.

ConsIt is a disorganized mess. If, heaven forbid, you ever have to call the main office for any reason, prepare to be confused and frustrated. I was overpaid, not allowed to give the money back, and then they attempted to sue me for it because of an error in their own records.
    If you list LAUSD in your employment history when you apply to another organization that uses a background check service, be prepared for LAUSD to give them inaccurate information and have to correct it yourself.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to iron out some of the wrinkles in the bureaucracy. If you want to attract high level talent for the classroom, you must eliminate some of the bureaucratic obstacles and inconveniences that are small but add up over time.

Common Core has eaten away at arts instruction in LAUSD.

Music Teacher (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsSo many great teachers in this district!

ConsUnder poor leadership at the school and district level, teachers have taken an 8% cut in overall pay since 2008. Arts programs, library programs, and general staffing has been slashed beyond belief.

Advice to Senior ManagementParents, teachers and the Los Angeles community deserves to be a greater part of the decision making process.

Its been amazing experience to work with children and academics as they are the future of America.

Clerical Assistant, Campus Aid (Current Employee) Playa del Rey, CA (US)

ProsThe positive atmosphere of an ever growing mind and supporting the children and teachers and parents of the community we live in. Knowing that what I do can effect the future,by sending positive messages and administrative professional support, I have learned to succeed in a multi-cultural and always changing enviorment. My heart and soul went into my work and I am ever grateful for the oppertunity.

ConsThe only cons I can speak of are,nine weeks off in summer.Lack of income and hard to find temp jobs.Also, of course,children come and go and its emotional,but a part of the school stays with each one and that is very nice.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake time to breathe.Over worked and overwhelmed is not good for any one.

Worked for Los Angeles USD? Contribute to the Community!