Lowe's

4,500 Reviews

Lowe's Chairman and CEO Robert A. Niblock
Robert A. Niblock
1,713 Ratings

Pros
  • Working for Lowe's provides decent benefits and a good pay for retail (in 277 reviews)

• The pay is decent for anybody looking for a retail job and they have good benefits as well (in 262 reviews)

Cons
  • there's no work-life balance as an employee classified as a store level manager (in 93 reviews)

• Have to be full time worker in order to be eligible for tuition reimbursement (in 173 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall, a great place to work.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Deptford
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Deptford

I have been working at Lowe's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

People are all close and relatively helpful towards each other.

Cons

High-school drama gossip between co-workers/

Be more pro-active!

Team lead BM,PSA,Dpsa,Apsa,and PSA

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Love my job and blessed to have it.

Cons

Change a great program too much!!!!!!!!!!!!

Work History should mean more than interview!!!!!!!

Terrible management

Current Employee - Loader in Lawton, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Loader in Lawton, OK (US)

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very nice and stable environment

Cons

The management is terrible to say the very least. Myself and others have had multiple problems with management at the store. I really love working here but every time an issue is brought to the attention of the ASM's nothing ever seems to get done regarding the issue.

Please listen to your employees and take in to consideration that we are coming to you for help. Not just to vent.

I really enjoy working at lowes they have helped me when I needed it the most.

I have been working at Lowe's

Pros

I enjoy heloing customers find all the items they need for the project they are working in. I enjoy the first name relationship you make with the regular customers that come in day to day. The pay if great also.

Cons

When the spring and summer time ends and sales get lower hours for part time people and the hours for seasonal help ends it can get stressful trying to have enough coverage. Everyone pulls together and we work as a team to get the job done :)

Keep up the good work when the time gets short and they days get busy, we appreciate the time you spend on a register. Thanks for having patience!

Good company

Current Employee - Head Cashier in Hartford, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Head Cashier in Hartford, CT (US)

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Always changing, never dull. Good benefits.

Cons

Must be available to work rotating shifts.

Say hello to employees.

Lowes is a good place to work

Current Employee - Plumbing Pro in Cincinnati, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Plumbing Pro in Cincinnati, OH (US)

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As a full time associate, I am able to make enough money to cover my living expenses. The pay is excellent for a plumbing pro. Vacation time is two weeks a year and this is much better than other retail venues. The health benefits are very reasonable and the deductibles are low. One gets a significant level of satisfaction by helping the customers with their plumbing problems. You also learn much from the regular customers and the contractors that shop there. This position is a great way to increase you plumbing knoweledge and experience. If you have electrical, mechanical, or building materials knoweledge as well, your job satisfaction and learning will be even greater.

Cons

The plumbing pro job involves a lot of lifting of merchandise and some of it is heavy. Sometimes you have to go in in the morning after closing the night before and this can be difficult. You only get one whole weekend off a month and one Sunday off by itself per month. A new associate typically starts off working only part-time and it can take over a year before you are promoted to full-time.

Zone Managers - Try to be more accomodating when associates ask you for help, for example, like when they ask you for an iPhone. This will enable them to better serve the customers. Don't act like they are doing something wrong by asking you for assistance. Department Managers - Don't schedule an employee for the same shift every day because this can be very monotonous and draining for them. A varied schedule allows them to have a better home life.

Customer Service Associate ll

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate II in Littleton, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate II in Littleton, CO (US)

I have been working at Lowe's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pros: they really turn you loose on the sales floor and let me do my thing--helping customers. Fortunately I am a DIY and have some knowledge of home improvement projects. And in other areas I try to find someone who can assist.
    So perhaps little or no guidance is a good thing if you prefer not to be micromanaged.

Cons

Cons: lack of guidance, they just turn you loose on the sales floor and I guess it's up to me to learn how to navigate throughout the store, i.e., cut keys, mix paint, cut lumber and window blinds and etc. Kind of weird the lack of supervision. No leadership gives any guidance what-so-ever. I suppose if I screw up I may be contacted.

At least share with me your expectations for my employment or offer some feedback please, one way or the other.

Good job through college

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Leadership culture is moving in the right direction. Benefits are solid.

Cons

Most positions don't have a set schedule--shifts vary greatly.

Depends on your attitude

Current Employee - Sales Specialist
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, Lots to learn, Room to grow/advance, good workout, good full-time pay w/ no degree, fast paced, challenging, great retirement, awesome stock program, vacation, floating holidays, sick time, keeps you busy, decent raises, can transfer to any store anywhere, company has appreciation events and safety cookouts often.

Cons

unfair bonus structure, when hours get cut the full timer suffer greatly, corporate implemented changes rarely work and at store level your powerless, we give customers whatever they want, policies cost us alot of sales. some install pricing is absolutely ridiculous,

Department specific bonuses! everyone in the store should not be able to get screwed out of their bonus if a cashier had a bad day. The ssei program is very unfair and causes a lot of salespeople to be disgruntled, Our return policy needs to be much more strict. Stop cutting hours so dramatically in the fall. less staff equal missed sales opportunity....Corporate....just because it looks good on paper doesn't mean it will work. We need more competitive install labor pricing because we simply cannot come close to independent contractors and retailers. More up to date products. HR issues should be taken more seriously . and get a better store soundtrack....cause its very bad.

Fast paced environment with a team focus on success

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Employees and management truly care about the overall success of the enterprise, rather than individual accomplishments. That said, associates are recognized for their contributions and performance.

Cons

That same fast pace can sometimes make one feel like they can't catch their breath. Visions and goals are wide ranging and varied, which can sometimes make it overwhelming and difficult to prioritize.