M. D. Anderson Cancer Center

M. D. Anderson Cancer Center Reviews

Updated Apr 22, 2014

M. D. Anderson Cancer Center President Ronald A. DePinho

Ronald A. DePinho

Pros:
  • "Work efforts are not challenging so its easy to maintain a work-life balance"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Work-life balance, great benefits, opportunity to work with people who come different backgrounds"
    in 22 reviews
Cons:
  • "We had to pay for parking and in my opinion it was too much"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Some people have lost their jobs due ot poor management and budget cuts"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Horrible Morale

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits are wonderful to have

Consmanagement sucks especially on the nursing units

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to be professional and talk with staff not talk down or at them like they are you children.

Great Care for patients, but horrible treatment of employees

Patient Services Coordinator (Former Employee)

I worked at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat benefits. Love insurance. Excellent Patient Care, and lots of Diversity

ConsManagement and license practitioners stick together be it wrong or right. Not fair sometimes when it comes to employees who are the support staff, the ones actually doing the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to effectively manage. Just because you're fresh out of school and have your bachelors, Master, etc, etc..... Sometime a degree doesn't mean you can perform you job correctly.

Work with some amazing people, they are just not in the positions they should be...

Supervisor (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center full-time for more than 8 years

ProsLove to help people; a lot of great people.
Im not in patient care but I love just to help them find an elevator if thats all I do.
Tution assistance.
It would be the greatest place to work if the values of the founder were still echoing through the institution.

ConsPublic image is only concern as is patient census with management.
Creates motion to have motion regardless of wastes of ineffciency. Then as a result uses this platform to cancel benefits and payouts.
Hr will not enforce anything, states "its managers discretion" regardless of the policy interpetation.
Upper mgt is a,lways looking to penalize low level workers and strip benefits from them all the while continuing to take exhorbent bonuses and building totems of worship for all to see thier greatness.
Class warfare is constant
Wants to be the McDonalds of Cancer; have a treatment center on every corner.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am sure Monroe Dunaway Anderson is rolling in his grave at what has become of his vision. This used to be place where employees were the "heart and soul of MDA" but now thanks to upper mgt over the last few years every employee is looked at as a burder or a unit of labor. The disconnect has happened, employees are no longer appreciated;some depts attemt to do good but HR usual steps in and frowns upon it... Poll your support personell; they see what is really going on, get their opinions, ask them if they feel welcome. The view is quite different once you are out of the ivory tower.

Good place to work

I have been working at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center as an intern

ProsThe company is successful and you can find many ways to elevate your skills at this place. They provide support for learning and education.

ConsAs an engineer, I don't feel there are enough opportunities to grow in my career path.
Engineers are considered as a support, not essential in their business!

Great!!!

Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat benefits, very structured and organized. I worked for here for 5years met great people and the Doctors are truly passionate about what they do!

ConsDo research on departments before you accept some departments have poor management. It's more of who you know rather than your qualifications for jobs be mindful of this.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to cleaned up at MD some managers are not at all qualified to be managers. The best manage I had retired and I left the department.

nice place to work

Research Assistant (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center full-time for more than 10 years

Prosnice environment, helpful co-work, good benefits.

Conswork more in group, less interaction with other groups.

Great place to work

Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center full-time for more than a year

ProsTop cancer hospital in the world

ConsI have no cons to express

Grand environment but enthusiasm is stifled by control-freaks

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee)
Smithville, TX (US)

I have been working at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center full-time for less than a year

ProsMD Anderson Cancer Center is a grand place to work, lots of professionals just a phone call away, which makes collaboration easy. The benefits are great, the support from within the institution is great - from vaccination clinics to legal advice you can get support for nearly anything from MD Anderson.

ConsThe management is too controlling and the environment where I worked at was only interested in publications, not actual progress. Concerns about study design were not taken serious. Also request for cell/tissue services costing as little as 3$ had to be countersigned by 2 officials to be placed. More bureaucracy than need be.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your employees more free reign. As a Cancer Researcher who has worked in several countries prior to coming to the US, I can assure you that this will give better results. Scientists are not worker bees but independent thinkers. The paperwork-load is too much to do on top of doing your research well.

Sandbox or Playground

Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat People and some departments are more efficient than others

ConsIf you want to work in an environment where your have big brother and big sister and bigger brother and bigger sister looking over your shoulder - this is the place to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse electronic means of tracking - software that is already available but then to keep group and individual records of the same information is not efficient

average

Patient Services Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsPOPULAR FACILITY,NICE COWORKERS,PTO,FREE MEDICAL HEALTH BENEFITS

ConsDIFFICULT TO ADVANCE AND MOVE UP THE LADDER, TIME TO TRANSFER INCREASED TO ONE YEAR AND TOO MUCH RED TAPE. PAID PARKING IS THE WORST, OTHER FACILITIES PAY FOR PARKING FOR EMPLOYESS

Advice to Senior ManagementGIVE YOUR POTENTIAL EMPLOYEES A LESS DIFFICULT CHANCE FOR GROWTH, OFFER PAKING INCENTIVE AND STOP TAKING AWAY POSITIVE PERKS.

Worked for M. D. Anderson Cancer Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for M. D. Anderson Cancer Center CEO Ronald A. DePinho. All 246 reviews are posted anonymously by M. D. Anderson Cancer Center employees.