M. D. Anderson Cancer Center

M. D. Anderson Cancer Center Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

M. D. Anderson Cancer Center President Ronald A. DePinho

Ronald A. DePinho

Pros:
  • "Work efforts are not challenging so its easy to maintain a work-life balance"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Work-life balance, great benefits, opportunity to work with people who come different backgrounds"
    in 22 reviews
Cons:
  • "We had to pay for parking and in my opinion it was too much"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Some people have lost their jobs due ot poor management and budget cuts"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to work and learn the stuff

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center full-time

ProsThe co-workers to work with them were very nice

Consthe salary was a little bit below the average market.

In pt pharmacy

Pharmacy Tech Inpatient (Former Employee)

I worked at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPto, ot, whatever shift depends on how strict they are. Get in good with charges

ConsSome don't like to do their jobs

Great place to learn from the best in the industry

Laboratory (Former Employee)

I worked at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center full-time for more than a year

ProsWork-life balance, great benefits, opportunity to work with people who come different backgrounds.

ConsManagement but only in certain departments

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the management I worked under, listen to your employees and be involved in their workflow to see what they do.

overall good

Senior Data Analyst (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center full-time for more than 5 years

Prosnice working environment, great work life balance

Consbeuraucracy, takes forever to get something easy done

Advice to Senior Managementshould provide free parking to your employee...

ok

Research Data Coordinator (Former Employee)

I worked at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center as a contractor

ProsVery strong culture and mission. Staff are motivated and involved in their work

ConsSome micromanaging and the quality of mangers varies by department

Excellent mission; challenging workload

Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center full-time for more than 8 years

ProsEvery day a person who works at MD Anderson Cancer Center wakes up knowing they are going to work for a mission that matters. It is not about profit. It is all about curing cancer. Working in IT, I am not involved in direct patient care yet the leaders are careful to be sure we all have line of sight on how we contribute to the mission.

ConsThe last two years have been a challenge with all the leadership changes and lack of staffing. Many of us are doing two and three jobs. The stress level is high and uncertainty is making it worse. We hear that this is the "new normal" but we cannot keep up the pace. Many are getting sick and quitting.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeriously back-fill the positions. IT and other organizations are exhausted. Either trim down the projects or staff the ones being funded properly. We are staff for normal operations, not huge projects too.

Pediatric Oncology was rewarding and it gave you many blessings to be thankful for in your own life.

Clinical Nurse (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center full-time for more than 3 years

ProsInsurance Benefits
PTO
Many advancement tools for your career

ConsOncology burden
Joining committees, pact's, to maintain a substantial great performance review

Advice to Senior ManagementTo not loose sight of what nursing is really about caring, empathy, and a positive aspect to the patients and patients care. Not making about its just a job and financial gain.

High School Senior Intern

High School Intern (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center as an intern for less than a year

Prosit suckedddddddd
the administrators treat you like you're a kid

Conseverything it was just terrible

A place ideal for those who are interested in academic career

Postdoctoral (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center full-time for more than a year

ProsHere you can work with smart researchers/scholars/clinicians, who may come from different countries and devote their lives in cancer-related researches. Meetings/symposium are held quite often, revealing new treatments/discovery. Academic atmosphere is very strong.

ConsSalary is limited by funding and mostly lower than expected. Also you can not stay in this position too long because it has a limit of years. Long work hours may be required, but it also depends on labs.

Horrible place to work

Research (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

ProsThey put the salary on their website, which is rare. Most companies don't do that. Also, the health benefits are pretty good, and it's pretty good job security.

ConsHorrible work/life balance. Very hard to schedule off and LOTS of rules and red tape with employees. They treat you like a number and there's a lot of gossip, politics, and they will overwork you. All in all, there are a lot of other hospitals I would recommend to work for that treat their employees way better.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually listen to your employees. If they're happy, they will work harder. If you ignore their concerns or don't give them promotions/raises after years of dedicated service, it will show in their work. Offer more work/life balance and scheduling off should be way easier. Do NOT LET EMPLOYEES COME TO WORK SICK!

Worked for M. D. Anderson Cancer Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for M. D. Anderson Cancer Center CEO Ronald A. DePinho. All 242 reviews are posted anonymously by M. D. Anderson Cancer Center employees.