MD Anderson Cancer Center

Updated 24 November 2014
3.6

MD Anderson Cancer Center President Ronald A. DePinho
Ronald A. DePinho

Pros
  • Work efforts are not challenging so its easy to maintain a work-life balance (in 22 reviews)

• Great benefits, good place to work if supervisor is good (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • PAID PARKING IS THE WORST, OTHER FACILITIES PAY FOR PARKING FOR EMPLOYESS (in 7 reviews)

• Work-life balance was not a priority of my direct supervisor (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work for

Current Employee - Finance Analyst in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Finance Analyst in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Overall great benefits. Work life balance

Cons

The commute for me is too far, approximately 1 hr drive each way.

Rudderless, politically charged executive leadeship

Current Employee - Executive Management in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Executive Management in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you make it to the executive leadership level, there are very few checks and balances. Many opportunities to benefit personally from the institution given siz and lack of transparency.

Cons

Highly political. Loyalty rewarded rather than ability. Ethics are a punchline rather than a quality for executives.

Don't let anyone from UT System or the Board of Regents investigate. What appears in the Cancer Letter or the Houston Chronicle is only the tip of the iceberg at MD Anderson.

Great mission, challenging environment to get thongs accomplished

Current Employee - Director in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Everyone knows the mission and is committed to it

Cons

Everyone has there own agenda that may or may not align with yours

More focus on the details is needed everywhere

Great opportunity

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of people really working towards a main goal of curing cancer. Many benefits for employees. Great working environment, campus and facilities.

Cons

Very challenging to get promoted within my department. Lateral promotions and transfers are easier to obtain. Parking in the TMC is expensive. HR and IT need restructuring.

Retaining talent is key to improve growth of any company.

A business trying to mask itself as an academic institution

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Smithville, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Smithville, TX (US)

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The staff in general are pretty helpful, atleast in the satellite campus at science park where I work most of the time. The talent here is great, and so is the student community. If you have a passion for science, this is a good place to be. Seminars are held pretty regularly, and the organisers invite a lot of reknowned folk to give talks. Time off policies are a bit weird ( in the not good sense) when you start off, but I've heard they get better with time. As always, if you're in the good graces of your higher up, you'll have more doors opened for you.

Cons

The bureaucracy is stifling, even though the said bureaucrats try and help you out as much as possible. It's pretty evident that MD Anderson was designed/built to run like a business, but is trying to put on a cloak of being an academic institution. Also their new drug testing policy (effective Jan 1st 2015, MD Anderson is going to become a tobacco free campus) feels like management is going down a slippery slope. Also, new workers have to undergo a LOT of training in paperwork and in general, there are a lot of forms to fill out before doing anything - that too on software systems that were out of date in the early 2000's

Streamline your bureaucracy and hire Scientists to administer scientists, not administrators. Lab techs and PI's appreciate it more when they are speaking to someone who knows the pitfalls instead of someone who sees science as a whole lot of gibberish.

Wish I knew BEFORE i took this job

Current Employee - Nurse in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Nurse in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

benefits. nothing else besides that.

Cons

low pay.
    parking. I just got hired on yesterday and they tell us I have to walk to my building which is outside more than a block away. if it rains they said carry an umbrella. NONE of this was told to me before I accepted a position there. I will be looking for another position near me in which EMPLOYEES are respected. This is a bunch of you know what.

employees should be able to use the shuttle not just those who work in the 1MC building. I shouldn't have to walk to my building like I'm some college student. That's not what i signed up for. Way to go md anderson. that's sarcasm...

Its all who you KNOW that makes you a success here, not how much you know.

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center

Pros

working for the state I guess.

Cons

Its ALL who you know. If your connected to the right higher ups, then your sure to get great pay, pay raises and slack. You can also get a great deal after you retire. For example, before you retire, set up a scam for a part time job that pays pretty close to what your currently being paid. Knock it down a little. For example lets say you make approximately $120,000 / yr. Knock you part time pay to around $83,000 - $99,000 with your connected higher ups. After you retire, wait 6 months and your previously discussed part time position will magically appear and be posted for you to slip your new application in. Why does everyone in the scam wait until six months past? Well its because they will not pay out medical insurance on a part time employee. But why would a retired person not want medical insurance? If you retire from MD Anderson, you get paid medical insurance after retirement. So, you wouldn't need it. This crap is very very common. Maybe not all of MD Anderson, but maybe a place off on its own little island.

Be fair. Work. Stop sitting around and collecting government benefits and high, ridiculous, undeserved pay that the working class is paying for and institutions like NIH is funding millions to.

Ok,lots of opportunities when "red tape" is avoided.

Current Employee - Diagnostic Imaging Services Coordinator in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Diagnostic Imaging Services Coordinator in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Room for growth, great group of people, ok benefits

Cons

Lots of politics,lots of deductions from check, pay for own parking

Neutral

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time

Pros

The benefits are outstanding, the employees are nice, the environment is relaxed.

Cons

Managers in some departments are aware of policies and procedures. It's extremely difficult to move up within MD Anderson unless you know someone or highly qualified.

Bad management

Former Employee - Clinical Pharmacy Specialist in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Clinical Pharmacy Specialist in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked with some great colleagues

Cons

Management was not cognoscente of the needs of the employees.

MD Anderson Cancer Center Photos