MD Anderson Cancer Center

Updated 18 November 2014
3.6

MD Anderson Cancer Center President Ronald A. DePinho
Ronald A. DePinho

Pros
  • Work efforts are not challenging so its easy to maintain a work-life balance (in 22 reviews)

• Great benefits, good place to work if supervisor is good (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • PAID PARKING IS THE WORST, OTHER FACILITIES PAY FOR PARKING FOR EMPLOYESS (in 7 reviews)

• Work-life balance was not a priority of my direct supervisor (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

You hate it or love it depending on which department you are working in

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Health Benefits are great
    Salary
    They put into the teachers retirement and Social security.

Cons

Poor management
    Corporate corruption
    little job security depending on your position
    Some people that need to be fired may not be fired because they are female or black despite being horrible
    Promotion is mostly based on what looks good for the company as opposed to who deserves it

Managers should be promoted based on who is better able to do the job as opposed to those who have worked at the company for 20 or more years. Sometimes those individuals have poor management skills. Classes are offered but some individuals do not have the qualities or personality to be a better manager. Also during another recession the company should also cut from the top to save money. It does not make sense to fire individuals who are needed on the bottom, tell people who have traveling benefits they can't travel on the companies money and then allow the President to be escorted to the airport and pay for him to fly out every weekend to his second home. Next, there should be a better outside agency to help with issues inside the company. Corporate corruption is bad and for a non-profit organization it taints the companies reputation.

Nepotism, Bullying, Sexual Harassment, Religious/Racial Prejudice, Retaliation for Reporting Compliance Violations

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Salary and Benefits. Many excellent treatment opportunities for patients.

Cons

In the 18 years I worked at MDA before successfully retiring with excellent retirement benefits, I witnessed massive financial waste, nepotism, bullying, sexual harassment, religious and racial prejudice, and retaliation for reporting compliance violations. Additionally, the administration has been historically very poor with HR ignoring many complaints. Nepotism is rampant and there are the many inappropriate public displays of affection between employees including attending physicians who openly solicit personal relationships with other physicians as well as employees working under them including vulnerable new fellows who rely on these attending physicians for good reviews and future employment. I witnessed many examples of inappropriate public displays of affection as well as bullying and sexual harassment. I also witnessed compliance violations that, when they were reported, resulted in retaliation against the employee reporting the violation. I watched management in quite a few departments frequently abuse, bully, and harass excellent employees.

The administration needs to implement and not just give lip service to MD Anderson policies of zero tolerance for bullying, sexual harassment, religious/racial prejudice, and retaliation for reporting compliance violations The financial waste needs to be corrected before the institution has to close its doors.

Great experience at MD Anderson! Ambition can take you in so many paths here.

Current Employee - Research Data Coordinator in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Research Data Coordinator in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Many resources for all employee needs and support. Professional and friendly environment. Exclusive events for contributing to community(s)

Cons

Before & after work traffic, parking fees, the new evaluation system (2014)

Everything is great about this company.

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work life balance, Benefits, leadership, coworker relationships, free trainings on everything.

Cons

Parking is expensive, pay could be more specially for med center being number 1 in everything.

It has been somewhat fulfilling

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits are wonderful, office culture is overall culturally diverse which I enjoy because you learn so much from your employees. I like how big this place is because you run into the most wonderful co-workers and patients going through this hospital everyday.

Cons

Compensation is ok, but the 2% raise every year you hardly even see it, and the amount it cost to park each month in the parking garages are ridiculous. The slow ability to move up within a company this size is ridiculous, if you are looking to take a position to get your foot in the door I highly recommend you wait for the position you are wanting to move into because it is difficult to move around in this company.

Clinical fellow

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center

Pros

We'll known hospital. Great work

Cons

Saturated. No personal growth and training is ok

Being employed with MD Anderson was amazing. Best job I've had.

Former Employee - Secretary in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Secretary in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay was good, considering I do not have a degree. The benefits package was amazing. The perks you receive as a employee. The mission of MD Anderson is phenomenal.

Cons

The medical center is horrible! The streets and traffic are bad! Working with employees who have degrees tend to look down on employees without degrees. Some are snooty and stuck up. Some managers do not know how to manage an office. The department I was employed with there was some favoritism of other employees which in my opinion was unprofessional.

Overworked, Underpaid, Management a Joke

Former Employee - Inpatient Pharmacy Technician in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Inpatient Pharmacy Technician in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is higher than average, but you are responsible for MUCH more than average.
    I can't say anything bad about the benefit package. Health insurance is one of the best provided. Retirement package is also better than average.

Cons

Where to start. Management seems unable to manage employees or workflow at all. Every 3 months, employees are asked to incorporate new duties while still being responsible for old duties. Workflow is completely reorganized just as frequently, so no one, not even managers, is exactly sure who is supposed to be doing what. Co-workers for the most part are lazy or unqualified and management is unable to do anything about it. As long as an employee clocks in and out on time, Human Resources prevents management from disciplining that employee. This leads to many employees that show up on time, but do as little work as necessary. And the few employees that do work hard are fired because of occasional tardiness.

Despite great pay and benefits, there is a high rotation for this position. Employees are constantly leaving and new employees are constantly being added to replace them. Training so many new employees puts a strain on current employees already saddled with ever increasing workloads. Also, pharmacy is responsible for the cleaning and storage of medical pumps, something that does not happen at any other hospital I know of. The pumps in question are usually dirty, bloody, and contaminated with infectious waste. Pharmacy is ill equipped to completely clean and sanitize these pumps, and they are stored in the same room as most of the medication.

Instead of trying to improve productivity by constantly shifting duties between positions, look towards giving managers more power to make management decisions by eliminating lazy employees who call in every other month and allowing long-serving, hard-working employees who were late a few times some leeway.

Excellent Company to work for

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

MD Anderson takes extremely good care of their employees. They provide good health insurance and pension plan. Some IT departments allow telecommute.

Cons

The structured hierarchy sometimes become an obstacle for things to move along faster.

Good Place to work

Former Employee - Instructor Research Faculty Appointment in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Instructor Research Faculty Appointment in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, good place to work if supervisor is good

Cons

bureaucracy, Very large place, Upper management style of functioning

MD Anderson Cancer Center Photos