MD Anderson Cancer Center

Updated 24 November 2014
3.6

MD Anderson Cancer Center President Ronald A. DePinho
Ronald A. DePinho

Pros
  • Work efforts are not challenging so its easy to maintain a work-life balance (in 23 reviews)

• Great benefits, good place to work if supervisor is good (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • PAID PARKING IS THE WORST, OTHER FACILITIES PAY FOR PARKING FOR EMPLOYESS (in 7 reviews)

• Work-life balance was not a priority of my direct supervisor (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Overworked, Underpaid, Management a Joke

Former Employee - Inpatient Pharmacy Technician in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Inpatient Pharmacy Technician in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is higher than average, but you are responsible for MUCH more than average.
    I can't say anything bad about the benefit package. Health insurance is one of the best provided. Retirement package is also better than average.

Cons

Where to start. Management seems unable to manage employees or workflow at all. Every 3 months, employees are asked to incorporate new duties while still being responsible for old duties. Workflow is completely reorganized just as frequently, so no one, not even managers, is exactly sure who is supposed to be doing what. Co-workers for the most part are lazy or unqualified and management is unable to do anything about it. As long as an employee clocks in and out on time, Human Resources prevents management from disciplining that employee. This leads to many employees that show up on time, but do as little work as necessary. And the few employees that do work hard are fired because of occasional tardiness.

Despite great pay and benefits, there is a high rotation for this position. Employees are constantly leaving and new employees are constantly being added to replace them. Training so many new employees puts a strain on current employees already saddled with ever increasing workloads. Also, pharmacy is responsible for the cleaning and storage of medical pumps, something that does not happen at any other hospital I know of. The pumps in question are usually dirty, bloody, and contaminated with infectious waste. Pharmacy is ill equipped to completely clean and sanitize these pumps, and they are stored in the same room as most of the medication.

Instead of trying to improve productivity by constantly shifting duties between positions, look towards giving managers more power to make management decisions by eliminating lazy employees who call in every other month and allowing long-serving, hard-working employees who were late a few times some leeway.

Nepotism, Bullying, Sexual Harassment, Religious/Racial Prejudice, Retaliation for Reporting Compliance Violations

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Salary and Benefits. Many excellent treatment opportunities for patients.

Cons

In the 18 years I worked at MDA before successfully retiring with excellent retirement benefits, I witnessed massive financial waste, nepotism, bullying, sexual harassment, religious and racial prejudice, and retaliation for reporting compliance violations. Additionally, the administration has been historically very poor with HR ignoring many complaints. Nepotism is rampant and there are the many inappropriate public displays of affection between employees including attending physicians who openly solicit personal relationships with other physicians as well as employees working under them including vulnerable new fellows who rely on these attending physicians for good reviews and future employment. I witnessed many examples of inappropriate public displays of affection as well as bullying and sexual harassment. I also witnessed compliance violations that, when they were reported, resulted in retaliation against the employee reporting the violation. I watched management in quite a few departments frequently abuse, bully, and harass excellent employees.

The administration needs to implement and not just give lip service to MD Anderson policies of zero tolerance for bullying, sexual harassment, religious/racial prejudice, and retaliation for reporting compliance violations The financial waste needs to be corrected before the institution has to close its doors.

Great Mission

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

No matter what job you are doing at the institution, you realize the overall goal of hopefully curing cancer.

Cons

The work load has become rather difficult. The philosophy these days is do more with much less

MD Anderson is not what it used to be....

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

MD Anderson has some amazing employees. There are truly wonderful scientists, nurses and staff that give there all to the patients. However, these same people are overworked, under appreciated and subjected to hostile work environments.
    The pay is more than most institutions, but you also work more hours and often on the weekends. I had virtually no work/life balance.

Cons

MD Anderson is now just a business with a goal to make the most money possible. Patient care is secondary to the almighty dollar. Many department heads and senior management have no management skills. A hostile work environment could not even begin to describe what I was subjected to. Our department head's way of managing her staff was more than just unprofessional it was abusive. Many faculty at MD Anderson have left the institution already or are in the process of leaving.

Pretty solid job

Former Employee - Clinical Cell Therapy Specialist in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Clinical Cell Therapy Specialist in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-The work was challenging, but not exceedingly difficult.
    -It was fulfilling knowing that I was actively saving lives with my work.
    -The people were mostly nice to work with.
    -Benefits were great.
    -Generally a laid-back yet productive environment

Cons

-The pay was much too low. This is the only real reason I left.
    -The parking situation was ridiculous.
    -The food was expensive and not very good
    -Promotions were difficult to come by

Pay your people more, and give them more opportunities to advance.

Clinical Fellow

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center

Pros

Experience with complex cases is invaluable

Cons

Have to deal with politics associated with powerhouse academic institutions

Be nicer to the folks that carry out "routine" work on the ground

Great place for researchers ,not so for staff

Former Employee - Senior Applications Systems Analyst in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Applications Systems Analyst in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

this is a great place for faculty and cancer researchers

Cons

supporting staff are like second degree citizens here,maybe rightfully so.

Great resume builder

Former Employee - Research Coordinator in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Research Coordinator in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Variety of experience, career growth, benefits and retirement plan, great mission statement, surrounded by professionals and researchers.

Cons

Hard to move up, hard to get raise.

Great benefits!

Former Employee - Patient Services Representative in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Patient Services Representative in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time

Pros

A state employer with great benefits. A lot of opportunities with the right degree or connects.

Cons

Not all of the polices are enforced by every department. Some positions are held, created, or promised for people.

Great company!!

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits are great and lots of room to grow and meet new people.

Cons

Parking is a challenge, some people wait years before getting a space near their building.

Keep up the good work