MD Anderson Cancer Center

Updated 17 December 2014
3.6

MD Anderson Cancer Center President Ronald A. DePinho
Ronald A. DePinho

Pros
  • Work efforts are not challenging so its easy to maintain a work-life balance (in 23 reviews)

• Great benefits, good place to work if supervisor is good (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • PAID PARKING IS THE WORST, OTHER FACILITIES PAY FOR PARKING FOR EMPLOYESS (in 7 reviews)

• Work-life balance was not a priority of my direct supervisor (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

It has been a learning experience.

Current Employee - Research Data Coordinator in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Research Data Coordinator in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get to help people through the some of the hardest times in their life and that is a great feeling. You are exposed to some of the greatest minds in medicine and research. If you pay attention, you can learn a lot about the medical field and how it all works and is run. You are also exposed to different cultures through the people that you work with and the patients that you meet.

Cons

The politics are horrible and there is a strong hesitancy towards change. There are standards rules and regulations but everything is subject to managements discretion in the end. Sometimes that can help but for the most part, I've seen several people treated unfairly because of it. HR is not very helpful. Unless you are in a position that is on the medical side (nurse, mid-level provider, doctor etc.) there really isn't room for growth. Promotion/growth is not based on what qualifications you have but who you really know that gets you places. Salaries aren't that great either. Most people are under paid for the work that they do.

Take a closer look at the work our employees do. Try to implement incentive programs and actively promote your stronger employees. This will not motivate others do work harder and better, but it will improve the over all quality of the departments and hospital as a whole.

Overall it was a good experience. The place is extremely political so you need to know office politics.

Former Employee - Animal Resource Supervisor in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Animal Resource Supervisor in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are good.. They pay is good.

Cons

Politics and other hassles of the med center. Parking!!

Pay attention to all the training the facility offers.

Challenging, inspiring work

Former Employee - Communications Specialist in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Communications Specialist in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Colleagues are topnotch and for the most part, generous and helpful. The institution's mission is clear, and every employee is made to feel that their contribution is important. Benefits and compensation are good. There was a strong sense of camaraderie on my team.

Cons

Resources for training and development were sometimes hard to come by in my (non-patient facing) department.

Encourage all departments/divisions to invest in training and development of their staff. It will reenergize employees who've been asked for years to do more with less.

Very positive for a young scientist.

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center

Pros

Excellent, warm, inspiring environment. Researchers were very accessible. I was there when Ron Depinho became president and he seems to have a great vision for the hospital.

Cons

It was a research appointment, so some weekends were spent at work, though that's pretty standard. No other real significant cons if you want to work in research.

Great place for I/T workers

Current Employee - Principal Applications Systems Analyst in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Principal Applications Systems Analyst in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Salaries are very competitive, work environment is great

Cons

Very little in bonus compensation

Clear, concise policies, procedures and direction

Unique. Cancer research and patient care focusing on all aspects of disease.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center

Pros

Vast amount of resources both in terms of people and infrastructure.

Cons

Bureaucracy. Very long process for everything.

Keep it academic and don't turn it into a corporate entity.

I was unlucky, no where to turn to

Former Employee - Research Assistant I in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Research Assistant I in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, nice environment,

Cons

I worked with lying, cheating, scum lab-partners. They lied and lied about me to the PI. I asked the department manager and my PI for an independent reviewer of my performance. Both denied me! my lab partners keps on lying about my performance and then the PI fired me. Their was no one to turn to.

PLEASE allow independent reviewers.

Administrative Assistant

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good health benefit and retirement plan.

Cons

If you are in a support role, administration will support faculty over you 9 times out of 10. Different sets of rules for different employees. "Do as I say, not as I do" attitude with most management.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Physical Plant Supervisor in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Physical Plant Supervisor in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This institution is so family oriented and supportive on both a personal and professional level. It is also interested in helping you grow your career. Mangement is willing to listen to concerns and also great teachers and leaders. They have excellent benefits and work/life balance.

Cons

If I had to critique this institution it would be that it has so many facilities and is spread out to much.

Keep up the great work!

Job Opportunities within MD Anderson

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are great! Great job security!

Cons

If you consider applying at MD Anderson, consider to contact the head/director directly. The HR system is not well organized and they do not forward the appropriate applications to the directors/heads. HR is not well responsive and does not provide any updates on your submitted application.

Be flexible! Appreciate your employers! Too much administration!!! There are so many administrators that are not doing anything - try lean management

MD Anderson Cancer Center Photos