MD Anderson

MD Anderson Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

MD Anderson President Ronald A. DePinho

Ronald A. DePinho

Pros
  • Work efforts are not challenging so its easy to maintain a work-life balance(in 18 reviews)

• Work-life balance, great benefits, opportunity to work with people who come different backgrounds(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • We had to pay for parking and in my opinion it was too much(in 7 reviews)

• Work-life balance was not a priority of my direct supervisor(in 5 reviews)

Great place to work!

Physical Plant Supervisor (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsThis institution is so family oriented and supportive on both a personal and professional level. It is also interested in helping you grow your career. Mangement is willing to listen to concerns and also great teachers and leaders. They have excellent benefits and work/life balance.

ConsIf I had to critique this institution it would be that it has so many facilities and is spread out to much.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

Job Opportunities within MD Anderson

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsBenefits are great! Great job security!

ConsIf you consider applying at MD Anderson, consider to contact the head/director directly. The HR system is not well organized and they do not forward the appropriate applications to the directors/heads. HR is not well responsive and does not provide any updates on your submitted application.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe flexible! Appreciate your employers! Too much administration!!! There are so many administrators that are not doing anything - try lean management

Poor Compensation

Research Data Coordinator (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsVery rewarding to know you are making a difference in patients' lives.

ConsEvery department seems to be very tight financially. You can expect to be underpaid, and annual merit raises of about 1.5%. They also overload you with unreasonable amounts of work because they are unwilling to hire more staff to handle the increased workload.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees more and be willing to invest for the growth of the department.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

IT review

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAlways being busy and having many projects to work on

ConsPoor management and direction, often allowing customers to dictate IT structure

Absolutely wonderful company to work for!

Research Scientist (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsThe best cancer center to work at. The research is cutting edge and everyone is passionate to heal.

ConsVery competitive environment that can be stressful at times.

Great place to work

ProsGreat place to work, Great pay

Consresource one is not an user friendly system

Great place to work for first time job experience

ProsGet exposed t wide range of responsibilities and obtain skills. Plenty of opportunities to learn new skill and progress

ConsSometime the size of the institution can be daunting to adjust. One needs to put a lot of effort to adapt to a highly regulated hospital industry.

Generally good

ProsGood compensation, ample samples, good funding.

Consvery formal place for working.

Great mission. Lacks focus on technology.

Senior Data Modeler (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsGreat people. Great mission. Nice pay. Secure job environment with nice pension benefits.

ConsPeople seem complacent. IT job growth is slow. Not focused on internal development.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on internally making use of all your data and expertise. Don't outsource it all. Figure out how to excite people.

M.D. Anderson is a great institution dedicated to curing cancer

Instructor Research Faculty Appointment (Current Employee) Smithville, TX (US)

ProsStable company with outstanding leadership and strong core values. Annual reviews foster career development. Institutional survey's encourage change as needed. Pleasant work colleagues and professional support.

ConsDifficult to promote through the ranks in academia from postdoc to Asst. Professor, but opportunities are still available.

Advice to Senior ManagementPostdocs are a valuable resource, not just for the moment but for a longer tenure when given challenging tasks that are validated by appropriate title changes and compensation.

Worked for MD Anderson? Contribute to the Community!