MSC Industrial Direct

Updated 18 November 2014
2.8

MSC Industrial Direct CEO Erik Gershwind
Erik Gershwind

Pros
  • Sometimes I feel customer service people are my closest allies in the company (in 6 reviews)

• Great co-workers; good benefits; gives back to the communites they are in (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management was down right condescending on a consistent basis (in 8 reviews)

• Senior Management simply moves the jobs around between themselves (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Erik and Mitchell. Please read this twice

Current Employee - Senior Leader
    Current Employee - Senior Leader

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Revenue growth, niche industry, lack of metalworking competition, bonuses & stock

Cons

Career pathing is non-existent, constant propaganda by top management, lack of accountability & discipline at all levels

Wow, what a tumultuous time at MSC. I've been with the company for a large part of my professional career and part of the Director and up "group." First the pros; we are a growing company and there is a lot more potential in our space. We have a great metalworking sales and tech team and very knowledgable product owners. Nobody is better than MSC in the metalworking industry. Our outside sales team is heads and shoulders above our competition and our product team is definitely one of MSCs biggest assets. Our ecomm business is growing and although it is true the leader of that department is a used car salesmen, results have been good and I've seen MSC make investment in this area. Bonuses were very strong this year and they continue to give us stock, stock options, and a discount on associate stock purchase. Many of us have a very vested interest in how the company performs. It's our retirement and out kids futures. MSC is not going anywhere and the job stability is high.

Our CEO and the Senior CEO, his uncle, have made some dramatic personnel decisions in the past year. First they fired the EVP of HR who everyone knew was poisoning the culture at MSC. That's an old story. They also have purged a couple other execs that were not up to par, in marketing and HR. These have been positive moves and the majority of the associates saw it needed to be done. They have made an attempt to reach out more and communicate better with the masses through town halls and emails. Our CEO has discussed differentiating compensation based on performance which if he means it, will make a huge difference in morale.

We just found out that our EVP of Sales was fired. I, along with many others was completely shocked. He has been around for a long time and is one of the biggest reasons we have been so successful. He is intense and passionate about MSC and many of us were taken aback by this decision. I know by talking to many on his team, they are crushed. Our sales are up and business is growing so why fire the guy that's behind that? I myself worry that this is the beginning of the end. I even think our CEO is having regret as he continues to communicate how much he will miss him and what a great contribution he made. If he was so great, why fire him

On top of that and in my opinion, even worse news, the one VP that most of us would follow is leaving the company. When the email came out Friday that he was resigning most of the people I talked to were really disappointed. He talked to everyone no matter what level or who they were and genuinely cared. He was in charge of the companys executive committee and supply chain. He had a big influence and he could have run this company someday but now he will do it somewhere else. Hopefully not at Grainger or Fastenal! He and I actually had a couple battles in the past few years but I really respected him. Both he and the Sales EVP are huge losses and I hope the CEO and his uncle have a plan.

I'm not going anywhere. I have stock that is needed to vest and pay for college. I like the people I work with and I don't work crazy hours. I get a car with a gas card and free insurance. I'm treated fairly and not micro managed. I just want the CEO and other leaders to know we are worried about the future here. It doesn't seem like anyone is in charge at times and even the execs are concerned. I know the survey that was just done showed the execs are more disengaged than the lower level associates and that's frightening. I don't get why our sales EVP was fired. I don't know why we have two corporate headquarters. I don't undertand why our class C business is called class C. I don't know why our CIO still has a job and I don't know why we call the basement the garden level.
    I'm not leaving but I'm also not signing up for more until I know our company, my company for the last 15ish years, has it's act together.

The post below for Erik and Mitchell is exactly what is wrong with company

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Growth Company, Excellent Industry, Great Projects

Cons

Many long term employees feel entitled, resist change and behave terribly. Culture promotes back stabbing as opposed to teamwork. Anyone that tries to bring change will be under attack.

To the poster of the message, if you have that many complaints about the company, you should leave. You probably will not because you have stayed in a comfortable position so long that you have no marketable skills (do you work in Product?). If you are going to stay and you have issues, address them with the individuals at work and act like you are on the team. Stop running to Erik and Mitchell. MSC is not a small company anymore, so stop behaving that way. Leadership needs to stop allowing this complaining to happen.

The Experience at MSC Direct depends on your Manager.

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct

Pros

I have had experience at other companies and MSC Direct is a more pleasant place to work.

Cons

Salaries are not competitive if you've been here a while and there is little/no real career pathing.

Good experience at MSC

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct

Pros

Fellow associates and perks to job

Cons

None at the moment

Advance associates based more on performance

Great company with lots of room to move

Current Employee - Customer Support in Detroit, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Support in Detroit, MI (US)

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good place to work, benefits are good and you know what is expected of you.
    The location I work at there is plenty of room to move around, the salaries are better than most call centers and everyone treats you well. The call center manager Kathy Green is a fantastic manager, you know what is expected of you and her door is always open. Been here under a year and already promoted because I work hard and take pride in my work. If you don't, you probably won't succeed here.
    They care about their customers and employees, they make decisions as a company based on what is good for everyone.

Cons

Better raises would be my only con

Pay is decent, however pay your top performers like top performers or they will eventually stop performing at such a high level because they can work just as hard as the slacker next to them and still get the same raise.

Great company culture, poor customer service at branch levels

Former Employee - OSA in Rochester, NY (US)
    Former Employee - OSA in Rochester, NY (US)

I worked at MSC Industrial Direct full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The culture is great, and associates are respected. As a sales rep, your given a car, phone, iPad, credit card and gas card. I received a nice base salary and it wasn't difficult to make commissions.

Cons

Too much management, as a sales rep, your not trusted to do whats right for the customer or do what you need to make the sale.

have more trust in the sales team

Intelligent,strategic Upper Management, but lower management under utilizes resources.

Current Employee - Consultant in Melville, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Melville, NY (US)

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Good direction from executive managment team. Well thought out strategic plan clearly communicated to Management. Company provides excellent resources to achieve excellent results.

Cons

The company is on a hiring freeze.
    Lack of flexibility in working hours.
    Low energy atmosphere where people actually sit in their cars in the parking lot waiting for work hours to begin. I've never experienced that in my life!
    Seems to be alot of animosity toward consultants. Feels like eyes are always on you and everyone is walking on egg shells.
    Appears to be lot of free time on the hands of non-management employees. Atmosphere is very dismal among admin teams.
    Positive energy (but a bit paranoid ) at management levels; Middle Management is very nervous about making a mistake -- even on something insignificant. They are afraid they will appear as if they don't konw what they are talking about. I assume this is due to a highly demanding Senior Executive Team, which goes without saying when you are making very high salaries.

The office culture may lighten up if employees were allowed some flexibility in work hours (8-5 perhapsr) or working through lunch to leave early. Highly consistrictive rules may be needed for hourly employees, but I assume that is why they need to swipe their badges regularly.
    Overall, the leadership team is highly intelligent and driven to succeed but don't appear to understand the "lower level" culture which is true for alot of large companies. Remind your Middle Managers to thank those who work for them. A little bit goes a long way for improving morale as does giving a little flexibility in working hours.

MSC = no career + no trust + abusive behavior + lack of vision + insecure management + innovators need not apply

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people who work at the company are generally decent, kind people who need a job and try to do a good work with no information. The new people brought into the company seem to have strong experience to help the improve the dismal environment we are operating in but I do not know how long they will stay. One guy who joined us a couple of years ago to do marketing just left which was a huge loss for us.

Cons

I have been working at MSC for over 17 years and never thought I would write a review on this site but recently I have become more aware of the need to be honest with myself and prevent others from ending up like me. I have only worked at this company and have never been professionally trained, guided to develop my skills or was I given access to leaders in my field to learn. I am considered a valuable MSC associate who is in management making little pay and I am not marketable. I also have seen good talent join us to leave in a couple of years because they had career aspirations that MSC was not prepared to offer. The company in not capable of embracing these big thinkers or making them feel appreciated plus because the management team has been around for so long there is no upward movement. When these people joined in the past I was excited and inspired. Now I know they will eventually leave and each time I am reminded that I am stuck here. I do not have the skills, experience or network to build a career outside of these walls which means I stay and collect my paycheck but never fulfilled. I do what MSC associates do. I pretend everything is great and I smile when it counts. For anyone considering joining this company think twice and then think again. Some observations from inside MSC -
    1. No career here. If you want a job then come to MSC but if you want a career then you should keep moving. This company does not understand what it means to have a career. People are promoted because they have worked here for a long time. There is no advancement until you have put in the years of service and not because of the additional value or skill you have. If you join prepare to be in the same role at the same pay for at least 5 years. Then when you get your promotion do not expect any real pay increase or future path developed. The company operates like a union.
    2. No one trusts each other or the management but what makes this more awful is that everyone pretends to be happy and trusting. The cubicle conversations are always about doubt and a lack of trust in what we are hearing or they are filled with negative conversations about other people. No one will address directly so we are in a constant cycle of disappointment. When you interview the hiring manager will tell you that we are changing. He wants to believe this is true but it is not the case. We have been saying this for years but nothing is different we just churn through good talent and they lose years on their resume.
    3. The environment is abusive across the company. People are paid low and some so low that its common knowledge that associates have to go to food banks yet our management makes billions. The associates are asked to do more with less and some really try but there is no reward or acknowledgement. People who work hard are not developed so we have many people who have decided to collect their paycheck. Its just a job for most and no one cares to give more. MSC created this environment.
    4. There is no clear, differentiating vision for this company. When our current CEO was appointed he created a team to develop the company strategy. It's been two years and we still have not seen this strategy work and most of us know that when we do it will not meet our expectations. The person leading strategy behaves like a used car salesman so no one is confident that the strategy work is going to help us differentiate and win.
    5. The management team is a bunch of insecure men who still behave like they are in high school. They focus on the little problems but make them seem big so no one pays attention to the real problems like the fact that our competition is growing faster than us, that we have no clear strategy and no way to win, that good talent is leaving in part, because of them. They create alliances among each other and then bully their way forward. Yes bully. The CEO wavers easily and they take advantage of this.
    6. Innovation is not understood because the managers have been in their same position for a long time. They do not know what happens outside of these walls. Innovative thinking is not encouraged because it will mean work. This leaves our company vulnerable to the competition. Will MSC be around in ten years? There was a time that I would have said yes with certainty. Not anymore.

I wrote my review to help both of us. I returned to school and will be leaving MSC soon.

To our CEO, lead. I have known you a long time and know you are smart and capable. Trust yourself. Right now we only see someone who is influenced easily and is not leading us aggressively. Your management team should not be trusted they only care about collecting their paycheck too and are the ones you should be cautious with. They know you are unsure and they use it to their advantage while also telling others they are frustrated by it/you. Their insecurity will result in our company losing more talented people because they ultimately are threatened by anyone who challenges them or highlights the gap.

Life at MSC.

Current Employee - Inside Sales Associate in West Sacramento, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Associate in West Sacramento, CA (US)

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Really good benefits. It is very nice to have all the items in stock for next day delivery. A lot of good people to work with.

Cons

Raises are minimal. Some people have had several complaints against them but no disciplinary action taken. I notice everything gets pushed back on the inside sales staff. I see projects get sent to the cross reference team and they are returned to the branch for most of the crossing. The one call does it all does not happen like it should. They do not have opportunities for the inside sales staff to transition to outside sales. Also not much training for metal working.

Promote from within. Do not put crazy people in supervisor positions. More training in metal working.

Best culture in the world where the customer comes 1st

Current Employee - OSA
    Current Employee - OSA

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's always a team effort with every level participating and caring for the customer along with the success of the company. Very unique situation these days. Benefits go above and beyond.....

Cons

Honestly only irritating thing I've found is the style of quote we send out to customers. They lack in complete product description and are difficult to identify.

Have never worked for a more supportive encouraging management team in my life.

MSC Industrial Direct Photos