MTV Networks

MTV Networks Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

MTV Networks President and CEO, Viacom Philippe P. Dauman

Philippe P. Dauman

Pros
  • The company truly has a great work life balance(in 21 reviews)

• the dress code is super laid back so most people wear jeans or leggings every day(in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • They also don't really value a work-life balance(in 8 reviews)

• Senior management is out of touch with everyone below them(in 14 reviews)

Do your time, get a better job

Project Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsDecent money and good work experience. Work there long enough then go get a good job somewhere else. Summer Fridays are nice.

ConsIt is all about CYA and passing the buck. So many lame policies and rules. Can't get anything done due to middle management.

They put you through the NYC grinder and spit you out..

Freelance Video Editor (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsThe name recognition, people automatically know the name MTV and are impressed.

ConsThey work you hard for that measly day rate, 12 hours a day. And if you address the issue they say "Well you can leave because we have 20 people lined up at the door waiting to take your spot."

Advice to Senior ManagementNormal hours and treating people with respect would do wonders.

Greatest Job Ever

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI loved working here. Environment was creative, there were no limits set on what you could brainstorm and then activate on. The folks were nice and at the time, the team I worked with felt like a family. Pay was average and hours could be long - I traveled a lot also but there are a lot of perks that come working there so it balanced out. Favorite job by far.

ConsSo many people it sometimes is hard to meet others in company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to learn, great culture and management

Client Services Representative (Former Employee)

ProsThe company culture is very welcoming. Great benefits and managers. Great place to learn and grow in the sales world. You will learn how to work with all kinds of personalities and to be great at multitasking.

ConsEntry level is very much executive assistant work AND media work in the Sales department. In some cases be ready to do two jobs. Entry level pay is low compared to the rest of the marketplace and opportunity to be promoted within is limited but very possible (regional office).

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to invest in growing talent - promote within when someone is worth keeping :)

MTV Networks, Marketing - Creative Environment

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsGreat place to work, great people and fun.

ConsNone! Only the commute for me.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep innovating!

It's a dog eat dog world

Editorial (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsDespite erosion over the years, the MTV brand remains strong. Great for resume. You get to work with some really creative and brilliant people.

ConsYou also get to work with people who manage to consistently fail upwards. Tension and discord are mistaken for creativity, sales pitches for ideas. Departments and the various MTVs are silo-d and are too busy competing with each other to compete with the real competition outside the company. Unless you're senior management, don't expect to have a life and a livable salary.

lost the magic

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsI worked for a channel within MTV Networks for more than ten years. It was a great experience for the first four - lots of energy, lots of talented people, and a great learning experience. They offer solid benefits, 401K and all that, which is great.

ConsThe company line is that "creative is king" but in practice, the only thing that counts are numbers. So they've created an environment where everyone "manages up" and there's not a lot of loyalty. It's a huge company, so obviously this is not necessarily true across all channels or departments, but there is a lot of general dissatisfaction among employees especially in creative departments. I always felt sad watching new PAs come in full of enthusiasm only to be crushed and disillusioned within a year.

One of the most important media company

Head of Strategy & Research (Former Employee) Madrid (Spain)

Prospossibility to work in medi a at top levels

ConsComplicated environment in media in Spain

I worked with MTV as a PA on an episode of Made. It was a great experience.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere were so many knowledgeable people working, so there was so much to learn and great contacts to make.

ConsIt was too short. I wish the project was longer.

Amazing

Director (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

Pros- Flexibility
    - Great benefits
    - Free to drive innovation
    - Amazing work/life balance

Cons- Its a big corporation so getting traction for projects can be hard. Loads of diplomacy and politicking needs to happen. You have to drive it because nobody else will
    - Every two years they shake the snow globe and make arbitrary cuts and restructuring
    - Senior management Goldfish syndrome (30 second memory inside a glass bowl)

Worked for MTV Networks? Contribute to the Community!