MTV Networks

Updated 14 January 2015
3.8

MTV Networks President and CEO, Viacom Philippe P. Dauman
Philippe P. Dauman

Pros
  • They are very considerate about work/life balance (in 23 reviews)

• the dress code is super laid back so most people wear jeans or leggings every day (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be tough, but that's why they tend to hire so young (in 10 reviews)

• Senior management is out of touch with everyone below them (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun & Hip Company to work for!

I worked at MTV Networks

Pros

Youthful, progressive vibe in the offices. Good perks, benefits and work-life balance in place

Cons

Outsourcing led to demise of jobs for a lot of good, hardworking people who were loyal to the company

PRODUCTION

Former Employee - Prod Management in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Prod Management in New York, NY (US)

I worked at MTV Networks

Pros

Very personable co-workers. Every one is very friendly making the work environment welcoming. Promotions often come from within the company opposed to hiring from an outside source making it easy to move up in the ranks.

Cons

Some lack he competence to do complete projects without supervision. Job can get repetitive at times in office and traveling is a must. This can b nice at times but having to fly to LA once a month can get boring.

Make sure to hire on a trial period before long term commitment.

Left disappointed

Former Employee - Trademark Department in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Trademark Department in New York, NY (US)

I worked at MTV Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere. Lots of fun stuff to do while you're supposed to be working. No one really pays attention to your work. You don't even have to be good at what you do.

Cons

Your colleagues will have the same "pros" which means they get away with not working and the one person that does work has to do all of it.

Pay attention to who works and who doesn't. There ready people in this company just getting by and lying about there qualifications. Once you leave MTV is when you know what real work is.

MTV

I have been working at MTV Networks

Pros

Positive and creative work atmosphere. Co-workers were great and human resources was super helpful.

Cons

Few staff positions, mostly freelance.

HIre as Staff.

Time served in the HR department :(

Former Employee - Human Resources in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Human Resources in New York, NY (US)

I worked at MTV Networks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great environment, perks, work/ life balance, competitive benefits (paid leave), reasonable time off- vacation depending on level, 12 major holidays, plus sick/personal days, plus addition time off (moving and marriage days)
    tuition reimbursement, program ,events, friendly staff and in house cafeteria. Employees had a strong brand loyalty! Looks great on the resume, great brand recognition across the board.

Cons

Lifers on the HR team. Promotions are highly possible for those who are favored only. Favoritism was displayed constantly, very political and catty at times. The SVP's (at the time we had at least 3) of HR only cared about their client group and immediate team members only.
    The team overall had a hand full of lazy, rude, disrespectful, negative and ill motivated workers that were permitted not to work. A bit of an oxymoron for an HR team I would say.

I was verbally abused/ disrespected for roughly 2 years, I was in tears constantly and felt like crap at work. The HR leaders knew my boss was NASTY and nothing was done about it, in fact she was repeatedly promoted.

I applied for multiple HR roles and never was I seriously considered for any of the roles- they always hired externally instead-no internally mobility. At the time they rather train a new hire verses giving a current employee an opportunity. The last straw, the recruiter even had the never to encourage me to interview for a role and all along she was also interested and under consideration for the same role...she ended up getting the job...go figure.

The last few years were no better, members of my team didn't work, went to the gym during work hours and barely came to work but all was ok because as the slave I was doing all the work. I was left to feel undervalued, abused and taken advantage of. Not sure why I stayed as long as I did but I'm glad I did finally leave.

HR salaries were not competitive for some but those that were favored were highly compensated-go favoritism!

Many organizations don't care about the negative rating when many candidates are waiting on line to work for their company.

Enjoyed my time here. Great colleagues, casual work environment and fun programs.

I have been working at MTV Networks

Pros

Creative work and fun programs.A lot of cross-collaboration.

Cons

Instability during the economic downturn. Created low morale.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Coordinator in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Coordinator in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at MTV Networks

Pros

Great Benefits, many opportunities to learn and grow. Workplace culture is a plus.

Cons

Salaries could be better for departments hat support the more "glamorous" departments.

unexpected place

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY (US)

I worked at MTV Networks as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

- HR team made the interns feel welcomed
    - learning opportunities outside of your area of interest/internship responsibilities
    - talented staff
    - work/life balance seems good

Cons

- people are too busy to talk/teach you things
    - couldn't tell if people were actually happy to be working there

Don't treat your interns as people who do your work for you, instead actually take the time to get to know them and mentor them. An internship is a two way street. It would be nice to compensate the interns too - unpaid internships are unjust in so many ways.

Love working here!

I have been working at MTV Networks

Pros

Great coorporate environment. Managers are in touch with their teams, and care about peoples success.

Cons

Freelance job can be frustrating