MTV Networks

MTV Networks Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

MTV Networks President and CEO, Viacom Philippe P. Dauman

Philippe P. Dauman

Pros
  • The company truly has a great work life balance (in 21 reviews)

• the dress code is super laid back so most people wear jeans or leggings every day (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be tough, but that's why they tend to hire so young (in 9 reviews)

• Senior management is out of touch with everyone below them (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing

Director (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

Pros- Flexibility
    - Great benefits
    - Free to drive innovation
    - Amazing work/life balance

Cons- Its a big corporation so getting traction for projects can be hard. Loads of diplomacy and politicking needs to happen. You have to drive it because nobody else will
    - Every two years they shake the snow globe and make arbitrary cuts and restructuring
    - Senior management Goldfish syndrome (30 second memory inside a glass bowl)

Series Development Intern

Series Development Intern (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA (US)

Pros-Resume Builder
    -Bagel Thursdays
    -Staff that remembers you for later hire

Cons-You almost never have contact with anyone above a coordinator... unless they love you
    -Really mundane tasks
    -Unlike some internships, they make you get them food almost every lunch time.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the interns more to do

Too big, too much a$$ kissing, but looks great on a resume!

Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsI was an intern, but this is what I observed:

-Laid back environment
    -Casual attire
    -Looks great on a resume
    -Nice people for the most part

Cons-MTV is huge so you feel like a number
    -WAY too much a$$ kissing (not my style)
    -Located in an annoying spot (Times Square)
    -Does not guarantee you a job when you finish your internship

Advice to Senior Management-Listen more to ideas of the people working under you
    -Become more in touch with the company's younger targeted audience

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work. This was the best place I have ever worked.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFun work environment. Flexibility for working parents. Great health benefits and tuition reimbursement.

ConsLow starting salaries for positions in non-management roles.

Wonderful experience being part of such a smart strategic team.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsGreat brand name and a leader in the entertainment vertical. Advertisers who found their audience within the MTVN family of brands would invest.

ConsLarge company, challenge to move upward quickly as there aren't many open opportunities available. Sometimes the individual brand teams do not integrate or communicate posing a challenge for company movement between different teams and visibility on open opportunities.

Terrific resume builder; fabulous staff

Editor (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsYou'll work with the best in the business, gain valuable experience, learn how to manage others, and work in a hands-on, always-on-the-go environment. The Lodge is pretty rad, too. Dress code: No one cares. Wear whatever you want.

ConsMTV is adverse to hiring staff employees; everyone is contract or full-time/freelance, which, unfortunately, comes with few benefits. They also don't really value a work-life balance. VERY fast-paced environment -- no slow days. Can be exhausting. Can also be a cliquey place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease value your employees. Many of them work like dogs and don't even have health insurance.

Learned a lot but felt invisible

MTV Productions (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsI really enjoyed learning about the various ways I would get involved in productions. I didn't feel trained per se but I was shown a lot like production management and all things involved with being a PA.

ConsIt is a huge corporation so I felt like the work I did didn't really matter. I was an unpaid intern and I was treated well but there was just too many people. I don't like the huge office feel.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe interns should get paid atleast something, because I know I gained a lot of experience but MTV was a resume builder more than anything else.

I loved the culture and the variety of tasks at hand.

Production Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsGreat work life balance
    Great perks
    Access to events and episodes before public

ConsNot noticed easily
    Unpaid
    Some of the staff very cold and unbothered

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your interns more guidance with their career paths, be more honest about how competitive it is to get a job there.

It used to be a great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsYoung, high energy, tremendously creative. The business units still hold onto their individual personalities and vibe - great places to grow and learn. Global organization

ConsHigh stress in the administrative roles - all about cutting heads and costs. Political environment if you are in the corporate environment - all about being a former Pepsi or Y&R guy. If you're not in a Channel group - run.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe size of the bonuses at the executive level would keep a few people employed for years

Great place to start your career in production, but leave before it beats you down too much.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsYoung workforce, a good place to start your career, good benefits, flexible in terms of responsibility.

ConsPromotes "jack of all trades, master of none" work philosophy. Squelches new ideas. Not interested in creative solutions or ideas. Happy to churn out lowest quality work for the biggest buck.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a few risks, it's what put MTV on the map in the first place.

Worked for MTV Networks? Contribute to the Community!