MTV Networks

MTV Networks Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

MTV Networks President and CEO, Viacom Philippe P. Dauman

Philippe P. Dauman

Pros
  • The company truly has a great work life balance (in 21 reviews)

• the dress code is super laid back so most people wear jeans or leggings every day (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be tough, but that's why they tend to hire so young (in 9 reviews)

• Senior management is out of touch with everyone below them (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to start your career in the media world....

Director of Production (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsA lot of good people work here. You'll gain a lot of experience; even if you're under qualified. ..trial by fire (which can also be a con)

ConsSenior management is out of touch with everyone below them.
    Not very easy to advance up the ranks

Advice to Senior ManagementYou like to foster good talent, but you need to learn to retain these assets

A great place to get your start in the world of television and digital.

Production Assistant (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsGreat people on my team, all talented in their individual roles and respective duties.

ConsA total lack of organization at the top level led to late night shoots dictated by talent's arrival and schedule.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore collaboration and regular meetings would make life easier on the production team's end.

For the a business-focused role, not a bad place to work as long as you keep in mind that "Content is King"

Director (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsLaid-back culture, genuinely friendly, cool people
    Generous time-off, great work-life balance
    Very disciplined company in regards to maintaining and increasing the bottom line

ConsConsiderable amount of company politics
    Things can move a bit slow
    Career trajectory may not always be clear

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease transparency and accountability

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great opportunity for students currently enrolled in college.

Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsThe company culture is amazing if you are put in the right area. Unless you are high level, dress code is very casual. As an intern, MTV really tries to immerse the student and gives them projects. Interns are supposed to help the company, not just get coffee. This makes for an awesome experience working in Times Square. The company also has different events that network interns and current employees.

ConsNo pay, they only give credit. This was hard for me because I had to commute everyday and I lost a lot of money on transportation.

Advice to Senior ManagementTeach interns the politics of the system and make sure they receive all of the e-mails about intern events.

Giant media company, experts in TV but lacking in digital strategy and relevance.

Vice President (Former Employee)

ProsOpportunity to work on well-known brands and hit properties. Big advertising reach.

ConsOffice politics, perpetual forecasting and re-organizing. Slow, unfocused and under-prioritized digital strategy.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe careful to retain best talent, this gets overlooked.

Behind the times

Director (Former Employee)

ProsGood people to work with, and a good working environment. Work hours are good, no long hours necessary. Interesting projects.

ConsGeneral lack of technical understanding amongst employees, but particularly upper management. All they understand is broadcast, and that's all they care about because that's what affects their bonuses. They don't understand social media, and they cut digital because the profit margins are (currently) lower than in broadcast. They can't see the freight train coming right at them, and they'll abandon their jobs or be fired because they couldn't visualize the future, but what do they care? They talk a good game, and pretend to care, but they talk out of both sides of their mouths. They got their bonuses and will leave the company struggling to survive. The company is not poised to succeed in the future digital world.

Advice to Senior ManagementBonuses should reflect multi-year performance and creation of plans to adapt to changing technology in the digital world. Broadcast is changing, and it will not be in its current form in less than 10 years. Do you care? Nickelodeon should fire its management as they don't have a clue about digital.

why don't you get it yet mtv?

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosyou get to work with an eclectic mix of people who are all phenomenally talented. the higher up you go, the better you are paid.

Conseach subgroup within mtv is competing with the other for eyeballs and attention. so it becomes a shit-show of one-up-manship. at the end of the day, and the only group who wins are the VPs. plus less than 30% actually are staff with full benefits.. permalence is slavery.

Advice to Senior Managementlet your people do what they do best and stop focusing on the formula.

SO GREAT

ProsOMG LIKE EVERYTHING. Free food. Nice Folks.

ConsNot a thing. I was really quite happy.

Advice to Senior Managementnon. Great people. Great environment

Great overall experience!

Associate Producer (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsLaid-back, fun and creative atmosphere.

ConsLong hours in production. No work/life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementGetting involved in projects and providing positive and appropriate feedback to co-workers.

Executive Producer

Executive Producer (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsAble to push the envelope and produce edgy content. They ordered a total of 130 episodes of my first show and I continued to produce multiple shows with them. Typically they order 30 episodes at a time for daily shows and 6 - 8 episodes for weekly.

Consno cons - MTV launched my career

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Worked for MTV Networks? Contribute to the Community!