MTV Networks

www.mtv.com
Profile Unclaimed

Once agree at place to work, but gone down hill, all the great exec's to have left.

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY (US)

I worked at MTV Networks full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Its a very big organization, their main NYC building has nice amenities for employees, the work culture is pretty laid back, dress code is relaxed. There are some nice folks working their.

Cons

In the time I was there (almost 10 years) I saw them eliminate so many benefits. They cater to their "Top 25" executives, decisions making factors in how it impacts them most and not those further down the food chain. As a result, they have eliminated pensions, service recognition bonus (which employees received every year after 5 years of service) butchered the insurance plans, (premiums and deductible are much higher for less coverage). And, they're a bit shady in how they relay this information to employees (great news, we're fazing out the pension plan!!!).

To TOP management: You have thousands of people working for you, stop catering just to the "top 25" and care about everyone equally regardless of their rank.

fun and exciting, but didnt last

Former Employee - Lead Artist in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Lead Artist in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at MTV Networks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

great coworkers, fun projects, great hours and pay, managers were awesome

Cons

not daring enough, eventually we were absorbed and stifled

take risks, move faster, try things and move on

Great people and talent made MTV a fantastic place to work.

Former Employee - Director of Operations in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Director of Operations in New York, NY (US)

I worked at MTV Networks full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Top notch benefits, amazing company culture, diverse work environment and many opportunities to grow from one department to another. A strong focus on the people and talent pool.

Cons

There are also many cons to working in such a "glamorous environment". There is little to no work-life balance. You are expected to do what it takes to deliver and nothing else in your life matters, such as: kids, marriage, your own personal health. It all comes at a huge personal sacrifice when you are working 90 hours / week and commuting in and out of Manhattan on a daily basis.

At some point, I would say approximately 10 years ago, things migrated from being a "First Choice Place to Work" to simply a money factory. Since then, there has been a massive talent flight to other higher paying media companies like something I've never witnessed before. My advice would be to take a good hard look at why those people left and realize that eventually your bottom line will suffer greatly when you are only left with amateur talent to run divisions and head up the creative departments.

Great Place To Work

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at MTV Networks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

MTV is a great place to work. Some perks include a casual dress code, an excellent benefits package, fun work environment, and generous paid time off.

Cons

Located in Times Square New York; Cafeteria food is not very good; company has a tendency to low-ball employee compensation.

All employees should receive the minimum base salary based on the market average for that title.

Great experience for an entry-level employee.

I worked at MTV Networks (more than a year)

Pros

You'll get great experience, and be at the forefront where pop culture is created. New York location is ideal for career growth at Viacom or at MTV.

Cons

Too much bureaucracy to make things happen in a timely manner. Offices have a strange vibe - very quiet and not very collaborative. Expect to feel like a cog in a large, clunky machine.

They use you up and throw you out

Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY (US)

I worked at MTV Networks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Matrixed organization with good structure and good decision-making processes. They know how to keep Wall Street happy. Interesting projects made the job bearable and management was helpful with development goals and coaching.

Cons

Leadership demands 24-7 availability in addition to long office hours. Constant layoffs cause employees to work under the threat of being let go. My boss once told me, "Nobody ever retires from MTV Networks" and it's true. You either quit or you are shown the door. Everyone works with their backs against the wall waiting for bad news. Company leadership panics when stock value drops a penny--or if a someone else in the industry innovates and causes change.

Stop trying to prove value and efficiency to investors by cutting jobs and over-working those who remain. Nobody can do quality work on a packed 24-7 schedule.

Great job.

Former Contractor - Video Editor in New York, NY (US)
    Former Contractor - Video Editor in New York, NY (US)

I worked at MTV Networks as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Snacks. Time off. Flexibility. People. Building.

Cons

None. But also, there aren't enough windows, I guess.

Doing great.

Great learning experience!

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY (US)
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at MTV Networks as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great laid back environment
    Always learn something new
    Get to meet and work with friendly people

Cons

Sometimes it feels a little too laid back

Had some wonderful opportunities and connections made as a Talent and Casting Intern

Former Intern - Talent and Casting in Santa Monica, CA (US)
    Former Intern - Talent and Casting in Santa Monica, CA (US)

I worked at MTV Networks as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

you are trusted to do important things working with very confidential information. i got to work at the movie awards which was awesome being on the red carpet. they treat you really nicely here. casual work atmosphere and like a family

Cons

a lot of grunt work like coffee runs, but that's usual for hollywood internships

Good Work/Life Balance

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY (US)

I worked at MTV Networks full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They are very considerate about work/life balance.
    Offer good amount of time off and during the holidays they give a few days extra so people can spend with their families.
    They have many programs available to employees to help with their personal life
    Great perks.

Cons

It's very consuming. Hard to use all of the perks you get when you are flooded with so much work.

Location of their main buildings is just awful. In the heart of time square. Really rough to get in and out of the buildings.

The culture is very progressive but often time you will run into people/departments who are just taking up things so they will not be fired/let go.

While there are a lot of opportunities for advancement you have to seek them out. These are not offered to everyone and depending on who you report to, you may not even be aware that these opportunities exist!

They often hire employees with higher titles so they don't have to pay them overtime. They often create titles because they do not know how to streamline their staff and create a system where you hire people at a certain level and work to develop them to move up or to different places in the company.

HR is not very involved in day to day stuff and not really aware of half of the things happening in their perspective departments.

If you apply to a position and are called for an interview there, don't expect an email or phone call letting you know if you did not get the position. They will not let you know and you could be waiting forever even if you thought it went very well. It's very disheartening that they do not follow up with you not even out of courtesy.

Develop your talent. When I first started to work in the company ion 2003 there was a great culture of innovation and managers wanting to work to their employees to develop them and help them get where they wanted to get. This resulted in employees being excited to work for the company and knowing that eventually if they worked hard, they could diversify their experience within the company. The last 3-5 years that I was with the company that atmosphere drastically changed to one where people where afraid of expressing what their wants, goals were due to fear of loosing their jobs and being over-looked by management if their personal goals did not revolve around that particular department. It is a great shame because I always saw MTV/Viacom as a company where you could bring your strengths and creativity. One where you would be able to get experience in various areas of the industry.

I hope management goes back to a culture where employees feel free to move around the company and don't feel the need to have to leave the company in order to diversify their resumes.