Makerbot

Updated 18 November 2014
Updated 18 November 2014
2.3

Bre Pettis

Great coworkers in a disorganized environment

Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I worked at Makerbot as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The company culture is amazing and the co-workers are great. The employees are all typically very passionate about their work and 3-D printing.

Cons

Unfortunately, the company structure is completely disorganized after a certain merger and has created a rather chaotic environment. The pay is also less than ideal.

Pay more attention to what each employee actually accomplishes. It seems to be the trend that the employees that have contributed the most time and effort are often unrewarded.

The talent is leaking out.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I have been working at Makerbot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Health plans are pretty good.
    Work environment is jovial, with a touch of job fatalism.
    Free fruit, but only if you're early.
    Interesting coworkers, until they move on and upwards in their careers.
    3D printers everywhere, and if one has been repaired recently, it might even work!
    Being a part of something that is pretty likely to get at least a side-note in some history book.
    Resources are available for personal development, if you're in the right department or seen as valued.

Future product roadmaps look much less terrible than the current product. But they looked good in 2013, too...

Cons

Some of my Pros have disclaimers.
    HR is seen as scary, manipulative, and more a foe than a friend.
    The "absolutely everyone hates the company" attitude assumed by all non-manager employees. It's toxic, and rapidly assimilates any new employee.
    Pay is below market average pretty much across the board, and leadership has almost flatly stated this is not changing.
    Pep-talks given by the CEO (Jenny Lawton) in which she reaffirms our commitment to a "minimum viable product."
    Really awful Flavia instant coffee.
    Office politics, with a side dish of nepotism.
    Facilities are in "historic" buildings, and undergoing construction.
    Office rules that are both poorly communicated and intrusive to getting work done.
    Having expertise is not seen by managers as a reason to be listened to.
    Impossible to correct, arbitrary project planning decisions.

The 5th generation models were shipped prematurely, and have been consumer-hostile nightmares. Quality is less important than being shippable.

I am deeply dissatisfied with the "leadership." My perception is that their first and foremost priority has been ladder climbing and pocket-lining for the last two years. They were quite successful, at quite the cost to anyone foolish enough to stick around. I honestly don't know what to say other than "please see yourself out." Leadership is of course not going to read this, and unlikely to take on any changes that make them less profit.

See about matching the compensation and amenities of, say, any reasonable non-startup tech company. Stop pretending it's an honor to be an employee, and pay a market rate, or this company will continue to leak what talent it has ever had.

Amazing coworkers, horrible management

Former Employee - Designer in Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Designer in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I worked at Makerbot as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Talented and smart people, amazing work space, benefits are okay. The greatest aspect of this job is really the relationships you come away with from working there.

Cons

You're expected to work 10 hour days, work most federal holidays and everything is completely disorganized. The money compensation is terrible. Instead of paying people more money when they work hard for years of service they just promote them to new roles with promises of pay raise.

Instead of working employees harder, I would hire more people to spread out the projects. There is now enough money to do that after the merger. I would also consider cutting back works hours to more reasonable times.

Soul Crushing and Toxic

I have been working at Makerbot full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I learned a ton about start up to corporate culture, about high volume work and dealing with truncated and ever-changing timelines. Made amazing connections. Also wouldn't trade all the pain and toxicity for how much I learned about the technology, and what it takes (and doesn't) to produce and support a mainstream tech product.

Cons

Terrible culture of fear, back stabbing and under-the-bus fly bys.
    Management was inconsistent, leaving a hard working population oft directionless, or direction-wrong.
    Lack of responsibility given and taken by management.
    Terrible pay, and little incentive in the way of raises.

Wake up? Look around you? Is your staff happy?
    Are they really as productive as they could be?

Overworked and underpaid unless you are a Lawton.

I have been working at Makerbot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Neato 3D printers. Well some of them. The newest ones are a bit of a nightmare.

Cons

Leadership wants to be surrounded by yes-men. No one wants to be honest about how they feel about their job or the products because they know they'll be fired. The company is now run by sales and marketing instead of product development, which is why the 5th Generation of MakerBot printers is such a joke. They look great. But they're not great. They're barely ok.

Compensation is minimal. My manager didn't want to make a big deal about getting our department raises and when they finally put my salary at a number that sort of made sense he told me I should be so lucky. That's their whole attitude. You should be so lucky to even have a job.

They had out "star awards" for extra special work done "above and beyond" what is being asked of employees. This means that they should be hard to get, and are for the most part. Except for when they aren't. Like when an HR employee got the largest available reward for something that sounded like her every day job. And HR hands out the awards, so is it really that shocking that they'd award themselves an extra $1000? They also have the ability to downgrade awards, so say your manager puts you in for the 2nd highest reward for something you did. They can read the description and even without having seen the work or completely understanding what it is you do on a daily basis, they can and do often decide to give you a smaller reward. Except of course, their own awards. It seems like every single time they've tried to create a morale boosting experience all it does is point out that only a handful of people matter or are worth a living wage here. Guess who won the talent show (that almost no one participated in because no one has time or energy for extra stuff around here)? HR. Yeah. That's right.

Health insurance is ok. I'm mostly staying because of that. But I'm considering going back to bartending and taking my chances with Obamacare.

Treat people with respect. Listen to their ideas. Pay them salaries that make sense, you can't play the "but we're a start-up" game when your CEOs are now making obscene amounts of money.

STAY AWAY

Former Employee - Inside Sales Executive in Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Executive in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I worked at Makerbot full-time (more than an year)

Pros

No pros if you have to pick The View in the Kitchen thats it you get free bananas and apples ... not even a water cooler .

you are not even allowed to use the printers during the day.

Cons

Pay is dirt might as well work at McDonalds do not fall for the work for 'MakerBot is great" you will NOT MAKE MONEY. the commission structure is a joke you will not make any money working here. The product does not work.
    They work you like dogs expect you to do everything you can to sell and then do not pay you. Find another sales job.

PAY YOUR EMPLOYEES FAIRLY.

Arrogant, brutal, and unfeeling to customers and employees

Former Employee - Vice President Sales and Biz Dev in Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Vice President Sales and Biz Dev in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I worked at Makerbot full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers, at least before they burn out and leave. Talented people are drawn to the promise of 3D printing and are usually a joy to work with outside of work.

Cons

The pay, senior management and the top leadership are all abysmal. The customer is treated with contempt, and employees beneath that and it shows very quickly after one begins work here.

Grow a conscience. Fix the products. If you can't give the time and money for your talented staff to make good products, then be grownup enough to pay for the support that the malformed products require.

........Nothing to Write Home About. Ever.

I have been working at Makerbot full-time

Pros

I met amazing people here and drank some great water, so I'd say the only good things about working here are the people and the fact that there's running water. Thanks goes out to Facilities and the City of New York!

Cons

I think it's pretty clear from the reviews below that the compensation is nothing to write home about, but I have to say one of the biggest reasons that makes working here so awful is how they undervalue the majority of their employees. I can't speak for all departments, but this is especially the case in Marketing. Marketing Leadership is pompous and ineffectual. More time is spent talking about the state of the bathrooms and yelling at employees than fostering any real enthusiasm and creativity in that department.
    Also, for some positions here they have you responsible for work duties throughout the entire weekend after working a full-time week!. If you guys gave people better compensation or benefits for having to work 7 days a week, great, but you don't so wake up and smell the coffee. No one is going to stick around with that kind of treatment.
    It USED to be a fun, creative place to work and the fruit there actually USED to taste good, but now it's all gone downhill.

Start caring about your employees. Maybe if you guys did that in the first place, then your products would actually function.

Almost Better than Being Homeless.

I have been working at Makerbot

Pros

I make slightly more than zero dollars a year.

They've managed to hire some wonderful, intelligent and hard working people. Enjoy your co-workers while you can, because they'll soon be forced to find employment elsewhere due to poor working conditions and even poorer pay.

They're making a lot of money abusing the goodwill and trust they've earned in the 3D printing community. Just check out Stratasys' quarterly reports.

This is likely more of a con: but the work atmosphere is unprofessional. Which is nice if you have a beneficial relationship with an employee of some level of power.

Makerbot is the smug, anti-consumer attitude of Apple combined with the hilarious Kafkaesque nightmare of Dilbert. This can be pretty amusing if you're not in a position to be affected by it.

Cons

Any review that wasn't written by HR (see: any review below four stars) is spot on.

Leadership is incompetent at best, sadistic at worst. The lines of communication are thoroughly broken. If you are in a position where you need regular support from those working immediately above you, good luck, you're on your own.

Unless you are a friend or relative of a Chief Something Or Other you will not make a living wage. There are limited to no opportunities for advancement.

Poor work culture, an attitude of "You're lucky to work here and we will happily replace you with a cheap kid fresh out of school/some c-level employee's incompetent relative" permeates the atmosphere.

You will probably be put in a position where failure is almost certain.

I suppose I have none, the company is making good money abusing its employees and consumer base. That is the goal of every expanding American corp.

3D printing is going to become a truly competitive industry soon, make your money while you can. Makerbot will be left in the dust and you will end up on the wrong side of history.

Amazingly positive experience. Far and away the best job I've had in my 20+ year career.

I have been working at Makerbot full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Incredible professional growth opportunities. Employees are allowed to take on as much responsibility as they can handle and are recognized for their accomplishments. Congenial, collaborative work environment that values diversity. A definite sense of shared purpose.

Cons

Typical growing pains associated with extremely rapid growth: integration of hordes of new hires, development and dissemination of formal processes, maintaining a culture that still has the close-knit feel of a start-up, but has the infrastructure of a more mature firm, etc. etc.

Keep going!