Management Sciences for Health Reviews

62 reviews filtered by
2.6
Management Sciences for Health President Jonathan Quick
Jonathan Quick

Pros
  • Supportive, team oriented work environment (in 4 reviews)

• Good work/life balance and teleworking is possible (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • In theory the organization promotes collaboration within the organization, but unfortunately it rarely translates into reality (in 3 reviews)

• no room for professional development (even senior staff jump ship after a brief stay) and most manager's have no sense of time management (in 4 reviews)

1. Project support (senior project officer)

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time

Pros

Friendly staff both at home office and field

Cons

Management systems, culture, and bureaucracy

2. Director

Current Employee - Director in Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health (More than a year)

Pros

MSH is a mission-driven organization and that mission is integral to the day-to-day work. You never forget why you are here. Every week there are brown-bags, seminars, etc, held by staff to discuss programs and share knowledge and these are open to everyone across the organization. If you like to work in global environment, this is a great place.

Cons

The organization is going through change-- and that is never easy. However, it is the right direction and needs to happen.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on managing the change. Keep bringing employees into the conversation.

Poor professional development, potential for good work climate

Current Employee - Project Associate in Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Project Associate in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time

Pros

Great benefits, including 4 weeks paid vacation plus 2 weeks of sick leave and miscellaneous holidays on top of that
    Lots of office celebrations in an attempt to boost morale
    Solid orientation system with extensive training

Cons

Huge gap between entry/mid and mid/senior professionals - revolving door at the bottom because senior staff is hesitant to train/promote from within
    Senior leadership is disengaged, disrespectful, and all of this is expected to simply be tolerated, even when senior leadership acknowledges there are severe issues
    CEO on a sabbatical...really?
    Pay is below industry average (they say it's because of the excellent benefits, but it still hurts around the time rent is due)
    Experience is completely dependent on your project/supervisors - very asymmetrical opportunities for growth depending on these factors
    Additional job categories have been inserted at the lower levels (Senior PA, Project Specialist, etc.) that didn't used to be there in an effort to pay lower salaries

Advice to Management

Standardize job categories and opportunities across the organization
    You can't expect to hire people with Peace Corps/Masters Degrees/2-3 years experience as an entry-level PA in the upper 30k range
    Don't be afraid to fire people - there are a handful (certainly not all) of Principal Technical Advisors/Project Directors who are wholly uncompetent, verbally abusive, and simply not up with the times. At the same time, there are a few really strong mid/senior level staff members (I'm not saying this selfishly, I am not one of them) who could really thrive in these positions if MSH worked to develop/promote from within.

5. Lots of passion, diversity in the office, working towards a common goal

Current Employee - Program Associate in Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Program Associate in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time

Pros

I love working alongside passionate individuals who have the same mission that I do
    I feel like I am being supported and have the ability to seek out resources to grow professionally
    The organization really is creating health change abroad and has created a number of tools that are being used by individuals all over the world.
    I'm proud to work for MSH and proud of what the organization continues to accomplish

Cons

Not being used for my skillset
    I have a Master's degree but am not doing any type of work that is worthy of a Master's degree
    The organization is very USAID project focused - need to focus on innovation and thinking outside the box (away from government funding) and do something different to really ensure the organization's survival
    People in high level positions are afraid to stray from what they are used to doing - there is general mentality that if it's different than what has been done in the past, it won't work
    Low salaries, little money can be budgeted (if any) for career development
    Few opportunities for mid-level careers (many entry level and high level positions)

Advice to Management

MSH needs to become more of a supportive community. Staff from all over the world needs to know one another. It is especially telling by the fact that staff work on different floors in the same building in Arlington and Medford and don't know each other

The name is ironic.

I worked at Management Sciences for Health

Pros

Interesting sector. Great field teams.

Cons

Poor talent management. Low compensation. Long hours.

7. OK

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefit. Compensation is average or below. Very diverse culture. People from all over the world. Generally have great personalities.

Cons

No room for growth despite the efforts. It's common for people to leave. You see people come and go.

I can't believe they're still in business.

I worked at Management Sciences for Health full-time

Pros

20 word minimum. OK. Umm.. the benefits are OK? That's really it. I can't think of anything more to say. Am I at 20 words yet?

Cons

- People are jumping ship at an alarming rate.
    - Projects are ending with no replacement funding.
    - Nobody has any strategic vision, from the CEO on down.
    - Constantly starting new "initiatives" that don't materialize or show results.
    - Recently started a new unit focused on going after donations and private sector funding, but they have no idea what they're doing and have no experience in this space.
    - Business development is a disaster because nobody has accountability for losses and everyone just shifts blame elsewhere whenever they can. Technically, MSH is simply not competitive, not for lack of talent, but for lack of focused attention developing new business.
    - Lots of senior people are vitriolic and prefer to ignore or reject criticism - "They just don't understand! They're just a few bad apples!" - rather than working to fix the many MANY glaring problems.
    - Poor compensation.
    - Brain drain (smart people are leaving in droves).
    - Unpleasant work environment.
    - No planning or coherent strategy at the corporate level whatsoever (I think I already said this one but it bears repeating).

The bottom line is that MSH has very few saving graces. They rely on USAID for a ridiculous amount of their funding, and that funding is drying up extremely quickly. Any attempts to diversify away from USAID are poorly executed, which embarrasses the organization and makes it very easy for donors to reject us in the future.

Nobody takes MSH seriously. The CEO is hapless. None of the leadership team have any management skills to speak of. If they weren't propped up by a few huge USAID projects, they would go out of business. If I had to guess, MSH only has 3-5 years left before the whole thing collapses. It's really a shame because this place used to hold so much promise, but now it's just a shell of its former self.

Advice to Management

You must know by now that MSH cannot sustain itself with you at the helm. You should recognize your mistakes and resign gracefully before the board fires you for gross incompetence. If not, you'd better be ready to retire because I can't think of anyone in the industry who would want to bring you on. (The CEO doesn't have to worry about this - he's already announced that he's taking a 5 month paid vacation, which I don't expect him to return from.)

Awful, truly a sinking ship

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

difficult to find 20 good words to say - some nice people who work hard but if they're smart they'll keep leaving

Cons

the whole SIAPS program is just a form of indentured servitude to USAID, you need written permission just to breathe; the whole thinking is going to come crashing down when SIAPS ends and there's nothing to follow, no doubt the CEO will make sure he's looked after and too bad for everyone else who'll be out of a job

Advice to Management

sack the CEO and senior management - replace them with people who can lead and have a strategic vision for the organisation - otherwise it will cease to exist after another year or two

A Great Place to Work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medford, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medford, MA (US)

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health

Pros

Leadership that cares deeply about employees and effectively/efficiently achieving the mission to serve others. Employees are given the accountability and authority necessary to succeed in achieving results. You don't find many places where the CEO, COO and VP of HR will actually meet with staff to increase employee satisfaction. COO inspires staff to achieve impact.

Cons

No cons at all. I look forward to going to work each and everyday! MSH is a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Stay on the path to 3E + 2A and the 3Rs. This is what makes MSH a great place to work!

11. Good place to get your foot in the door.

Current Employee - Intern in Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Intern in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health

Pros

I loved everyone I worked with. It really depends on who you have to work for and how they train you , but I got lucky. I got put under a really great team who are open to answering all of my questions. Everyone was really welcoming and helpful.

Cons

Sadly as an intern you are unpaid. Most of the leadership here is open to helping you and answering questions, while others are wondering why the unpaid intern is wasting their time. Again, it depends on who you talk to/ work under, but overall it is a very welcoming atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Communication between all necessary parties is sometimes lacking, especially between the higher ups and the lower levels. Can sometimes be too political for a nonprofit but that's what you get when everything is funded by USAID.

Management Sciences for Health Photos