Marcus Corporation

Updated 17 July 2014
2.9

Marcus Corporation CEO and Director Gregory S. Marcus
Gregory S. Marcus

Lots of fun for little pay...

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Omaha, NE (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Omaha, NE (US)

I worked at Marcus Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very fast paced environment and some great people that you work

Cons

The pay was the worst. Being a manager and making less than $2 more than the general team members was quite discouraging.

Dead end.

I have been working at Marcus Corporation

Pros

Part time, General every day tasks are simple, good perks

Cons

Poor management, over staffed, lazy staff

Can be a great place to make money (tip-wise) but the upper management doesn't care about their employees.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Lake Geneva, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Lake Geneva, WI (US)

I have been working at Marcus Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great staff to work with. There can be some awesome comradery amongst departments.

Cons

Specifically, the Grand Geneva Resort and Spa can be a great place to make tips as an employee, but, the management could care less about their workers. Benefits were drastically cut (health insurance qualifications were raised to unrealistic minimums) and facilities are in need of repairs and updating. The men and women in charge of this company are merely there to make a quick buck but don't put the effort in to maintaining and successfully running their businesses.

Get a clue. Spend time in your properties and outlets. Have a heart.

Not a good work experience - Grand Geneva Resort & Spa

I worked at Marcus Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A free cafeteria for employees was a nice perk.

Discounts for their other establishments was fantastic - dining, golf, ski, spa, hotel rooms, movies etc. Much appreciated.

Decent insurance benefits if you can keep your hours up - kinda pricey, but nice plans.

Cons

Very little to no training in many departments - a "fake it till you make it attitude"

Major micromanagement. Titles given and made up to appease employees, however there was absolutely no authority with any title other than manager or director (can't hire, interview, fire, write up etc) - however leads, supervisors etc. expected to make things work with no authority to do so.

No communication to lower level employees in many departments.

Sub-par pay. All lower level employees at this resort are underpaid (non-managerial positions). If you don't receive gratuities here it is extremely hard to make a living. The local McDonalds pays more than many of the positions - yeah, but we did not want to work at McDonalds, that is why we applied and were hired here.

Upper management focuses on the budget only - cutting out the extras that make this place an upper level hotel. This leaves employees to attempt to give 4 diamond service with nothing to do it with. This resort is beautiful, but old and many areas look very old, worn, outdated and broken down. Different areas often run out of products or just do without. This is something which is noticed by customers and mostly lower level employees have to deal with customer grumbling on this subject.

Hours and staff cut regularly, however management expects a team of 3 to give excellent customer service when at a minimum there should be a team of 5 in place.

Lower level employees not respected and are not valued. The HR department has a "well thats too bad" attitude with no attempt to change things or help.

Rules are for only a select employees. Not enforced equally across the resort. This is a huge problem that many employees are fully aware of yet cannot do anything about.

Bad employees kept over good employees even when said bad employees are disrupting the work place and making a miserable work environment for everyone else who was doing their job.

Spend more time training staff to do whatever their particular job is to the best of their ability. Hold them to these standards and get rid of them if they don't. There are too many people who need work and will take their place.

Pay your employees according to honest industry standards - not the made up stuff that HR says is normal pay for a position. Their numbers are not accurate, by any stretch of the imagination.

Clean house. Get rid of employees who have multiple write ups for serious offenses. Listen to lower level employees and investigate what is really going on at this resort, in particular some of the people that multiple staff complain about. There has got to be a legitimate reason (that needs to be checked into) why 15 or more people are complaining about the same thing with the same person. Hire an outside service to do these things so that all of the "friends" and "lovers" in management won't continue to influence these decisions.

Spend some money to update the little things too and keep them updated in all of your buildings. Not just the main hotel. Many of the other out-buildings are worn out and look worn out. Your customers notice this.

Before you add on or build - talk to your lower level employees, especially the long term ones about what works and does not work in that department. THEY are your best resource, not some paid consultant. You have spent a lot of money in the past for things that make no sense and are of no use - if you had checked with lower level employees first you could have done something entirely different and had a more functional and useful space aka not wasted your money.

Don't give up on this resort. It is a beautiful place and the potential is grand.........but it is being neglected and it looks like it is.

Underpaid, Understaffed, and Overworked

Current Employee - Vendor in La Crosse, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Vendor in La Crosse, WI (US)

I have been working at Marcus Corporation part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have worked at Marcus for almost a year, and I just put my two weeks in. The staff I worked along side was the best. They seem to hire all of the best people, from high school to college aged students. It is a fun environment to work in, and there are some nice movie-seeing benefits. You + 1 guest get to a see a free movie every week, and dollar passes for every 12 hours worked. Lots of competitions to keep you motivated. I stayed with Marcus so long because of my great coworkers, the movie benefits, and also the flexible scheduling!

Cons

The upper management (general managers and corporate) don't care about their employees. They are only concerned with profit. There is no consistency, things are constantly changing and there never seems to be any order or good reasoning to their actions. If you win competitions, don't expect your prizes unless you pester the upper management about it. Expect your shifts to be cut, or to be sent home early. On Thanksgiving we were jipped of our time and a half because we were sent on 45 minute breaks so that they could cutback on payroll. If i'm sacrificing my Thanksgiving to work, I think I deserve the time and half. The entire time I have worked at Marcus, I have heard they are trying to cut back on payroll. Also, don't expect any raises or opportunities for advancement, unless the upper management randomly picks you as the lucky one to come into their circle. The corporation is always talking publicly about how much they value their employees and yet we are stuck getting minimum wage, while being overworked with no increase in wages for overtime, even though we work overtime. The worst part is that you can't come to them with complaints, problems, or ideas, because you will be shut down. Don't call the Marcus Crisis Line! ... They don't help! I have seen too much discrimination, corruptness, and lack of care for my fellow employees and myself. I don't know how Marcus gets away with all of this. (This is my experience from my particular theatre anyway)

I had no problems with the direct assistant managers, but to the upper management: try caring a little more about your employees. You wouldn't be sitting on your high seat if it wasn't for all of us working base-level with the customers.

Former HQ Employee - over 10 years service

I worked at Marcus Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

In my case smaller corporation presented many opportunities to learn and hone skills that eventually enabled me to find a job in a larger corporation with opportunity for advancement and much better pay and benefits.

Cons

Workplace rules are not enforced equally. Senior/Upper management does not value the average worker and comments are made about why does the company need to provide benefits to the average, lower paid employee despite public comments that "employees are our greatest asset"..

You wouldn't be where you are without ALL of your employees.

not an awesome place to work...upper management loses sight of what's actually important

I have been working at Marcus Corporation

Pros

worldwide hotel discounts, meal discounts, some of the people (in non-management positions)

Cons

everyone seems to be out for themselves...not a very team-oriented environment

get rid of the managers who are micromanaging the properties into the ground

Overall good company. Rare advancement

Current Employee - Corporate Office in Milwaukee, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Corporate Office in Milwaukee, WI (US)

I have been working at Marcus Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Small family owned atmosphere. Great work/life balance

Cons

Hard to advance. No room for failure

reinvest in the entrepreneurial culture of company's early days.

It was a very pleasant experience, they really care for their employees.

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Lake Geneva, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Lake Geneva, WI (US)

I have been working at Marcus Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have not started to work for them yet, but I know people who worked for them for many years and they say nothing but good things about them.

Cons

Like in any larger corporation; when you need to have a problem resolved by upper management, be proactive and don't delay, present the problem to be resolved as soon as it manifests itself.
    Sometimes upper management is involved in too many important projects and your problem may
    be delayed in order to give priority to other more important ones. If you can, give them a good week before remind them about the pending unresolved issues. Once resolved the problem, be gracious
    and thank all the parties that were involved in the resolution of your problem.

In order to be expeditious, efficient and considerate with the employees I suggest the following course of action:
    1.Label and date the problem to be resolved and give a realistic estimated time of resolution to the person(s) involved.
    2.If deadline can not be fulfilled because you had being extinguishing to many unexpected last moment fires, call the parties involved and apologize for not being able to comply with the original deadline and set up a new deadline manifesting your real concern about the problem and assuring a prompt and satisfying resolution for all the parties involved . This time around, be sure to deliver what you promised or you will loose credibility and respect from your employees.

Dont care about employees

Current Employee - Help Desk in Milwaukee, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Help Desk in Milwaukee, WI (US)

I have been working at Marcus Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Not too crazy about the hours you are supposed to work

Cons

Everything else. Managers dont care about your development. The don't really understand what the job requirements are.

upper management needs to replace most of middle management with people that actually knows what they are doing