Market Leader

Updated Apr 04, 2014

Market Leader President Ian Morris

Ian Morris

AMAZING COMPANY!

Executive Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Market Leader full-time for less than a year

ProsThe values here are REAL - not merely a list on a wall. An exceptionally team-focused environment. Everyone has a voice. The interview process and onboarding was the best I've ever experienced. This company understands how critical branding is, and I would have been a Market Leader fan for life based purely on my interview/recruiting experience, whether or not I was selected for the role. Exceptional benefits - truly a Cadillac plan, unheard of in today's marketplace.

ConsParking is tight, but the company has arranged a solid alternative parking lot, plus Orca cards for employees. And the Bellevue Transit Center is very close.

Awesome

I have been working at Market Leader

ProsIts Good product and awesome employees!

ConsThe only thing I would like to see is a slight change in the compensation plan

Good mid-level sales opportunity

I have been working at Market Leader full-time for less than a year

ProsRapid growth, opportunity to succeed, friendly people, fun atmosphere
great benefits

Constelephone sales are challenging, ramp period is difficult

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus strategies while in growth mode

Great product

Account Executive (Inside Sales) (Current Employee)

I have been working at Market Leader full-time for more than a year

ProsNice people, free drinks, fun committee

ConsNot enough opportunity for sales people

Seriously outdated product, bad management

Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Market Leader full-time for less than a year

ProsSalary is good for developers, work load is reasonable, office space is brand new, free soda for employees.

ConsProduct is very outdated and ridiculously complicated, but no one seems to care about fixing it. The other employees in my group (engineering) seem like they're all satisfied with doing the bare minimum to get by and receive a paycheck. No one seems motivated to improve themselves or the product they're working on. Each time I've made suggestions of how things could be improved, the response is "We know we need to do that, but we just don't have time" or "Yeah, good luck with that".

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some freaking pride in your product and fix this junk. Don't you realize that your target audience (real estate agents) is a bunch of frantically busy people who A) don't have hardly any free time and B) are not tech-savvy. This product should make their lives easier, not introduce a huge set of systems and options that they have no idea how to use. This product is in serious need of a complete overhaul to simplify a product that has become a frankenstein of power-user features and make it something that the average real estate agent can pick up and begin using without any special training.

Terrible company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Market Leader full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBenefits were good but they recently changed that. The people that work at Market Leader are cool. The office is nice.

ConsThe company was purchased by Trulia and is getting worse by the day. Managers don't actually manage. They sit in meetings all day long and then send you passive aggressive emails on what you need to be doing better. The customer care department is horribly understaffed. They pile on an unreasonable amount of work for you to do and set unrealistic goals. The company is paying the employees less each year.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees better and pay them.

Good Old Boys Club should be Market Leader's Name

Inside Sales Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Market Leader full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNice office, free drinks, decent benefits

ConsThis job is a dead end job, with no opportunity for growth.

Good old boys club, or frat mentality through out the sales team. If you are buddies, with the sales director or played basketball for him, you are promoted and are given better leads.

There's definitely two different "teams" the haves and the have nots. All of this is based on favoritism, not on skill or hard work. If you are on the have not team, you are expected to make 80-100 cold calls a day, to Realtors, who have already been called dozens of times already. You are looking for a needle in haystack, for sales. All the while, people around you on the have team, take call ins, and take orders for a sale (also called a lay-up). They run around and high five each other for sales, but what did they do to get them, sat there, and picked up the phone, and TOOK AN ORDER, not sell anything!

You are expected to work 9-10 hour days, and only payed 8 hours. Management says, just put 8 hours a day on your time card.

Worst company I've ever worked for!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a new sales director, one that is impartial, and that knows a thing or two about sales.

Opportunity to sell a great product.

I have been working at Market Leader full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSmart product. Amazing office. Awesome benefits.

ConsDepending on what team you're on opportunities are more scarce. Inside sales and cold calling can be a rough gig when you're not selling.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave new Account Execs start selling with system only and then graduate to leads. Understanding the system from the inside out makes it much easier to sell the product the right way by having the client believe in the software and company.

Worse Management in Technology Department

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Market Leader full-time for more than a year

ProsThe company is good for taking care of its employees

* Great work/life balance
* New good office in Bellevue
* Good benefits

ConsThe worse management in the Tech department. Average people stay in the company for more than 6 years. While this means company treat people really well, yet there are no new thoughts come into play.

The management has no desire to brought in any new technology to improve processes. It is using 80's technology to manage 21st people.

There are many silos around the department. No collaboration, no communication, people only focus on their own parts and try to secure it to protect their own best interests.

Managers are pretty much micro-manage their people ...

Advice to Senior ManagementFor Ian, tech world needs a new fresh management team.

Lack of professionalism prevails. Market Leader is not a good company to work for.

I have been working at Market Leader full-time for more than a year

ProsFun people, lack of professionalism has its benefits. They throw cash spiffs around like crazy. You can make a lot of money if you excel at a short sales cycle and pressuring people into buying things that they have a 1/10 chance of making money with.

ConsThere are quite a few cons from working at Market Leader.
1.) Management is focused on top line revenue growth in the short term, at the expense of long term growth.
2.) Training is weak and disjointed. Teams change frequently.
3.) There is a boys club of guys that get better leads/promotions because they played basketball for the sales director when he coached "back in the day". But- if you DID play basketball for him, you might get a promotion to manager or team lead.
4.) The product is not the best in the industry. Not even close. You will have cancellations, and you better get a referral before they figure out how ineffective the product is.

The old adage in sales is to make sure that you are giving your customer $1.10 in value for every dollar they are spending with you. At Market Leader we give about $0.60 for every dollar customers spend. Proceed with caution.

Advice to Senior ManagementMessaging to customers that they need a CRM to run their business is funny when you give your sales people a rebuilt version of a CRM from 1997.

Worked for Market Leader? Contribute to the Community!

Market Leader Videos

Market Leader – Why Work for Us?

We're growing - come join us! Market Leader is the leading marketing partner to the real estate industry. Our portfolio of powerful web-based solutions that combine effective advertising, a response-generating website… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Market Leader reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Market Leader CEO Ian Morris. All 43 reviews are posted anonymously by Market Leader employees.