Marriott

Updated Jul 23, 2014

3.6 1,196 reviews

Marriott President & CEO Arne Sorenson

Arne Sorenson

Pros
  • Marriott really focuses on a good work-life balance(in 32 reviews)

• Great benefits such as steeply discounted hotel rooms when traveling(in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life Balance went away with the re-organization of the sales department(in 38 reviews)

• Some times the demands to work long hours proves to be a burden to associates family members(in 63 reviews)

1,196 Employee Reviews

Amazing experience

Anonymous (Former Employee) Burbank, CA (US)

ProsVery team oriented, each and every employee is cared about and taken care of by management. Very fun company, always holding events to keep employee morale high and keep employees motivated.

ConsCan be overwhelming at times

Marriott is a Great Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHotel Benefits
    Fun atmosphere
    Great start for hospitality

ConsAngry guests
    Long days
    Some managers not helpful

I enjoyed working for Marriott for the most part. The company is outstanding for work/personal life balance!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Bethesda, MD (US)

ProsWork/personal life balance
    Community Outreach
    Benefits (hotel discounts, especially)
    Flexibility

ConsCompensation in relation to your individual contributions
    Management's inability to deal with employee conflict

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers should be forced to attend mandatory training on an annual basis. Some managers have favorites who they cater to and others are so aloof that they don't know what is going on within their departments.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome

Food and Beverage Assistant (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsEverything the people to the pay great overall job

Consearly hours but that would be all nothing to bad if you dealt with customers before it shouldn't be a problem

Advice to Senior ManagementGREAT JOB GUYS!

A lot of work but great reward

Front Office Manager (Current Employee) Elizabeth, NJ (US)

Prosjob security, number of hotels, number of positions, great people, great benefits, a lot of chances to grow internally, decent pay

Conslittle training, no school reimbursement, 24 hour business, long hours which make long weeks, little social life, a lot of stress on body and mind

Wonderful Employer

Guest Service Representative (Former Employee) Memphis, TN (US)

ProsThey really try to promote from within. They are willing to train you and offer online classes but the best opportunities come from hands on experience. Benefits are pretty ok.

ConsYou have to be in really good with management to really see promotional opportunities. They could train little better, they have a tendency to follow the sink or swim ideal.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to make opportunities more available to employees instead of trying to trap them in one position.

Great company to work for!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits, Room Rate Discounts and so much opportunity world wide. Lots of training and corporate affiliated discounts. Pretty Solid pay all the way around.

ConsAs an entry level employee I found it very hard to break the barrier for a promotion. Yes there is a ton of opportunity but it feels like you've really got to know someone in management to get up there.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook for the young professionals who are truly passionate about hospitality!

wRTt

Intern (Current Employee) Miami, FL (US)

Prosgoog, comfortable, nice ambiance, good managers

Consthe compensation is a little low

Great Company...too much reorganization

ProsSpirit to serve is a way of life, not just a motto. Great culture, management and brands. Associates truly care about the work they do. Flexible work arrangements are a huge plus.

ConsFor the past several years there has been constant reorganization, continue to be asked to do more with less. Difficult to advance or transfer to other departments.

Marriott is a great place to work.

Telecommunications Technician (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsMarriott is a great company to work for. Terrific people to work with in the different departments and also able to learn new skills in other departments with a great opportunity to advance in the company.

Conswhile rewarding work it is also challenging to do your job with so many employees and guest of the hotel that you have to maneuver around in order to complete your work.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with employees more to let them know the path of the company and the changes that are going on with the company.

Worked for Marriott? Contribute to the Community!