Marriott

Marriott Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Marriott President & CEO Arne Sorenson

Arne Sorenson

Pros:
  • "Marriott offers employers a real work life balance depending on the position that you are in"
    in 25 reviews
  • "A very good company and good benefits (health could be a little better)"
    in 49 reviews
Cons:
  • "Very demanding business to be in, not the great work-life balance sometimes"
    in 26 reviews
  • "Long Hours, but if you are working in hotel banquet/catering then this is understood"
    in 46 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to start young career with great benefits and promising pay

Front Desk Agent (Former Employee)

I worked at Marriott full-time for more than a year

ProsThere were lots of advancement opportunities, along with great benefits outside of hotel discounts and 401k programs. Company culture was strong, along with great coworkers as the result of proper interview processes. Company tries to give you the days off when requested.

ConsChallenging hours at times as well as moderate increases in pay in SOME departments and roles. Management could use more help, but the economy could be in part to blame for insufficient staffing.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood job, enthusiasm is shown, but really having a more detailed training program outside of computers could show better improvement in the long run.

Great Coworkers, No opportunity for advancement, Good part time job

Front Desk Associate/Night Auditor/Bistro (Former Employee)
Hickory, NC (US)

I worked at Marriott part-time for more than 3 years

ProsI absolutely loved working here but it's very hard to advance unless you know the private owners as it was a franchise.

ConsStaff that worked there 10+ years with college degree didn't make more than $10

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen people are writing reports to send to owners on profit margins, they see how much is being made and it makes them bitter to only make $8/hour

Great training, not so great opportunities.

Concierge Lounge Attendant (Former Employee)
Miami, FL (US)

I worked at Marriott full-time for less than a year

ProsExcellent training programs. Marriott is very serious about training employees in customer service and technical training. I loved working for Marriott and I hope I can go back one day, probably to a different hotel. However, they really try to take care of their employees with their benefits (e.i., insurance, PTO, discounts).

ConsFranchise owned... is that enough? Managers did not care to promote from within. This minimized the amount of growth possible for ambitious employees. It was the reason I quit and decided to find other positions in hotels more suited towards my goals. I believe not all Marriott hotels are the same, in terms of furthering opportunities.

Avg/Below avg compensation.

I was also bullied by some other employees. We required teamwork, and sometimes they did not want to do their part. They felt it was necessary to make me feel inadequate when I made my supervisor aware of this issue. I had no choice, my job depended upon their cooperation. At first I brushed it off, but it got to a point where I felt uncomfortable around those employees. This did not affect my decision to quit because I mostly worked alone. However, I did feel relieved after putting in my two-weeks notice knowing I would not have to deal with them much longer.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow more appreciation towards your good employees. Recognize potential. Fire the bullies. No one wants to feel uncomfortable at work.

Great place to work as a student and aspiring young professional.

Guest Services Representative (Current Employee)
Auburn Hills, MI (US)

I have been working at Marriott full-time for more than a year

Pros-Endless opportunities for growth
-Hospitality generally means friendly coworkers/management
-Competitive pay in the industry
-Brand association worldwide
-Flexible hours, especially at entry-level positions

Cons-Stressful at times dealing with people and their limitless needs/demands
-Demanding schedule
-Sometimes feel as though not paid enough for responsibilities

I like the job

I have been working at Marriott

ProsI love the people, they are great in working with my needs as the mother of a growing family. i am constantly tought new skills and encouraged to apple for higher paying positions.

ConsIt can be very gossip-y, as I suppose most customer service based industries are

Working at the Marriott was amazing

Front Desk Associate (Former Employee)
Lincoln, NE (US)

I worked at Marriott part-time for less than a year

ProsThey treat their employees very well and I felt like I was an essential part of the team. Marriott is such a respectable brand, I was proud to say I worked for them.

ConsAs a front desk associate, I spent a lot of time of my feet.

Marriott Employee Life

ECommerce PR & Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee)
Bethesda, MD (US)

I have been working at Marriott full-time for more than 3 years

ProsManagement very hands off, positive atmosphere. Job stability. Office location very convenient. Marriott name looks good on resume.

ConsVery conservative culture... employees that are not married will have a harder time fitting in and more importantly, getting promoted (promotions seem to be given based upon how well employee is liked and not necessarily by performance). Office environment feels rather antiquated.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe aware that too many processes hinder the ability to innovate.

Awesome!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Marriott

ProsGreat people, liked the work

ConsAwful pay. For someone with a college degree, it wasn't feasible to stay long term and work my way up. I worked there for a year, was always praised as an outstanding employee and ended up with a 35 cent pay raise.

Good company

Management (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Marriott full-time for more than a year

ProsChallenging environment for mid-level employees

ConsLots of rules in a big corporate environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementKept up the good work.

Fine

I have been working at Marriott

ProsYou get discounts on rooms!! Best discount is $50% off during the slow season and I mean almost any Marriott in the world. Amazing benefits!

ConsALOT of QA drop ins. Money could be a lot better!

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider allowing lower working force to advance in their field without working more than 15 years.

Worked for Marriott? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Marriott reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Marriott CEO Arne Sorenson. All 989 reviews are posted anonymously by Marriott employees.