Marriott

Marriott Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Marriott President & CEO Arne Sorenson

Arne Sorenson

Pros:
  • "Marriott offers employers a real work life balance depending on the position that you are in"
    in 25 reviews
  • "Good benefits, lots of opportunity to grow in the company if you are willing to relocate"
    in 52 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance can be hard with certain jobs"
    in 29 reviews
  • "Long hours but that's a given in the hospitality industry"
    in 51 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Fine

I have been working at Marriott

ProsYou get discounts on rooms!! Best discount is $50% off during the slow season and I mean almost any Marriott in the world. Amazing benefits!

ConsALOT of QA drop ins. Money could be a lot better!

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider allowing lower working force to advance in their field without working more than 15 years.

Horrible management, the laziest employees i have ever seen, management never leaves their office

I worked at Marriott full-time for more than 5 years

Prosyou can transfer to another country

ConsManagement, departments don't work together.

Advice to Senior Managementget out of your office and walk around, especially back of the house.

boring, waste of my time

I worked at Marriott

Prosreally easy job, just sit there

ConsCustomers didnt tip, always understaffed

ehhhhh

Bartender (Current Employee)
Cincinnati, OH (US)

I have been working at Marriott full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat money during busy season.

Consleadership. They hire managers right out of college with ZERO restaurant experience. Expect you to work 50+ hours as a server/bartender. No Room for growth

Advice to Senior ManagementHire managers with experience. How can you expect someone to manage in a field that they have no experience in? Does not make any sense.

Marriott International

I worked at Marriott

ProsIn the new sales re-org Marriott Int'l offer plenty of flexibility with their "work from home" positions. Supply you with gas mileage rebate, a blackberry, laptop... all necessary tools to be successful

ConsWith this re-org, there really is no where to grow in the sales organization anymore. Positions are few and far between. Most importantly, their sales goals they set are completely out of reach. Whoever is setting these goals clearly has no idea what's going on in the market. They place way too much emphasis on meeting your weekly "sales calls/appts" and not enough on whats working/not working for Marriott customers.

Great people, but bureaucratic management stifles innovation

Operations Analyst (Former Employee)
Bethesda, MD (US)

I worked at Marriott full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThey have above average corporate facilities (cafeteria, open work space, fitness center, Starbucks) and benefits (education reimbursement, training, lodging discounts, health incentives). There is a genuine culture of employee appreciation (Associate Appreciation Week) and community engagement(Spirit to Serve day). My Marriott friends are the best, and I engage with them at every opportunity. Compensation was competitive, but the health plan was average/below average - I opted to get coverage through my wife's plan with Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield. Opportunities to travel to interesting locations for business or brand development at various levels, such as staff auditors, etc.

ConsWhile training and education discounts are offered, I found very little managerial support for advancement within or across functions. Networking is challenging in that there are many managerial layers to deal with. In my experience, only two people in my Information Resources (IT) department of 25 advanced to outside positions in 7 years, with only one going outside of IR. This particular group also spent a lot of time stepping over dollars to pick up dimes -in other words, they were more interested in creating processes to justify their existence than in delivering real value for end users in terms of ease of IT asset procurement and management. This is typical of many business support functions where Senior Directors are cowed by the SVP's to simply do as they're told. Recognition felt superficial and forced, and while some managers were capable of more, the default response to any service delivery issue was to kiss up and kick down. There is an uneven policy for flexible work arrangements, and that created a burden on those who are on site constantly putting out fires. The on-going organizational restructuring and outsourcing of Marriott's management services places a lot of stress on Associates who either leave for outside opportunities or grind it out while surrounded by increasing numbers of external vendors and consultants. They endure by escaping to the gym when the boss doesn't schedule a brown bag lunch meeting, or taking as many coffee breaks as they can.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a mentoring program that is tied to education and training initiatives taken by Associates. Internal managers are not always the best advocates for development, either due to feeling threatened/undermined, or losing a talented asset. While pursuing my MBA, I received encouragement, but nothing in the way of connecting to opportunities that leveraged my new skills. Implementing Learning Management Software is a great way to quantify skills and experience, but it is not a substitute for mentoring and cross training opportunities. There are way too many managerial layers, and that ends up stifling innovation and prudent risk taking. When you restructure or outsource, you lose capable people while retaining people who are are good at maintaining their own position and little else by creating and meeting bogus metrics. The outsourcing vendors may have better tools, but they will be most responsive when they are competing for renewed contracts. What will be their incentive to make a long-term investment in Marriott? Some Associates may be asking themselves the same thing. There are many strong Associates who are willing to see the restructuring through to the end, but will the new organization translate into success for Marriott's hotel partners and stakeholders?

I have been working at Marriott

ProsQuality of life, benefits, training

ConsDecision making, promotions, limited growth

Starter Job

I worked at Marriott full-time

ProsGood to start a sales career in the hospitality field; good benefits & perks; brand name recognition.

ConsIF you are working at an individual (franchised) hotel vs. regional sales office, be mindful that each hotel's environment is different. Many have unreasonable hours and expectations for sales staff, poor hotel management, and tenure based advancement instead of merit based.

Working at the Marriott was amazing

Front Desk Associate (Former Employee)
Lincoln, NE (US)

I worked at Marriott part-time for less than a year

ProsThey treat their employees very well and I felt like I was an essential part of the team. Marriott is such a respectable brand, I was proud to say I worked for them.

ConsAs a front desk associate, I spent a lot of time of my feet.

Great student job!

Maintenance Engineer (Former Employee)
Provo, UT (US)

I worked at Marriott part-time for less than a year

ProsLots to do, interact with guests, decent pay, sometimes free food, independence to take care of assigned tasks, learned good handyman skills such as fixing disposals, cleaning carpets, fixing toilet/plumbing problems, lighting/electrical problems, and pool maintenance.

ConsLate hours: 3PM-11PM 2-3 times per week, at the mercy of the guests, weekend and holidays included, small team so getting days off can be difficult but management works well with your schedule, no use of cell phones/headphones allowed so no music while working.

Worked for Marriott? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Marriott reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Marriott CEO Arne Sorenson. All 992 reviews are posted anonymously by Marriott employees.