Marriott

Updated Jul 23, 2014

3.6 1,196 reviews

Marriott President & CEO Arne Sorenson

Arne Sorenson

Pros
  • Marriott really focuses on a good work-life balance(in 32 reviews)

• Great benefits such as steeply discounted hotel rooms when traveling(in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life Balance went away with the re-organization of the sales department(in 38 reviews)

• Some times the demands to work long hours proves to be a burden to associates family members(in 63 reviews)

1,196 Employee Reviews

Working here is very interesting and requires a high tolerance for incompetence.

Server (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA (US)

ProsThe guest are great and you gain a large amount of experience.

ConsThe management is very unorganized and bad at communicating. Also most of the management is very young and inexperienced. This inexperience attributes to bad decision making and unwillingness to take advice from seasoned employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would hire management or supervisors that have more experience in the industry and are willing to take advice from all around. Also train the employees to better work as a team rather then against each other.

customer service representative

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)

Prosbenefit is good
    Mr Marriott has a sound philosophy about his company and employee

ConsMr Marriott's philosophy doesn't spread out into organization.
    Once a manager is Spanish, you hardly find any employee except them.
    HR doesn't support employee, only for managers

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to hire to someone who has knowledge about hotel industry, not just people who you know already.
    Managers should support employee

AYS Supervisor

AYS Supervisor (Former Employee) Torrance, CA (US)

ProsGreat benefits, work life balance, and great employees

ConsLow pay and the lack of help from management.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Reality doesn't match reputation

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Bethesda, MD (US)

ProsDiscounts for hotel stays are great and are not only available to "associates" but to partners, parents and limited availability to siblings.

ConsInsurance is expensive, co-pays are high and every package company offers requires you to pay 10% on hospital stays, MRIs, CAT scans, etc. Maybe this is how insurance is nowadays, but I've never encountered this before.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep a better eye on middle management. When I've worked with SVPs and above, they have been friendly, one made a point of meeting me on my first day in his department. This may not sound unusual, but it was 2009, the economy had just tanked, I took the job in his department because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get anything better. I was working as a temporary, less than 25 hours a week. But, middle management is just the opposite. They are ridiculously demanding, wanting you to work 12 hour days and still work at night. They are ungracious. When you you do everything they require and beyond there is no thank you in person or on your review. I got very tired of one and two percent raises. The "Spirit to Serve" is applied by the associates strictly at the properties to outside customers. It isn't applied at corporate when "serving" other associates in corporate departments. I was always taught at other companies that anyone I was helping, whether they worked for another company or our company should be treated as a customer.

Restaurant Supervisor

Restaurant Supervisor (Former Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsGreat benefits! Corporate structure allows for job security and motivation.

ConsThe structure of the hotel was out of wack. People in management positions seemed like they got there just by putting in time, not by merit or knowledge.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire managers that have experience and know the position

Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly envirement well managed busy

Consno room for growth long hours

Advice to Senior Managementhelp to improve employees pay rates

There were some great friendly people and bitter hateful people that I worked with

Guest Service Representative (Former Employee) Oklahoma City, OK (US)

ProsSome of the people are friendly and helpful.

ConsThe work can be stressful and chaotic. There were some jealous bitter co-workers. The pay is not so good however you do get full benefits.

Good but could be a lot better.

Marriott (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsGood stable job for someone starting out or in school.

ConsNot a great work to life balance; family functions, weekends and holidays will be spent working.

Good part time job

Housekeeping (Former Employee) Duluth, MN (US)

ProsTraining was adequate, enjoyed the people I worked with

ConsVery one-on-one work, so constantly working by yourself.
    Management wasn't very helpful or friendly.

Prejudice Supervisor, Unaccountable Management , Insufficient Time for workload, don't care about employees

Housekeeper, JW Desert Springs Marriott (Current Employee) Palm Desert, CA (US)

ProsIts a nice hotel to work at,
    mostly nice staff, great benefits, excellent customer service, good safety standards, free lunch

ConsPrejudice supervisor who made it unbearable for me to get into learning my position, catty co-workers, insufficient time for workload, confusion , careless management, unaccountability, poor communication . I was also unable to switch to a position that better fit my skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not allow for prejudice people to manage oncoming staff and expect them to learn their jobs under stress from demeaning superiors. The work load was impossible for the allotted time to finish in a timely matter . Also no sense of unity amongst employees or staff which made for occasions of confusion and poor communication. Get rid of the employee hotline its pointless and unacceptable. Higher fair and competent supervisors to train and manage staff.

Worked for Marriott? Contribute to the Community!