Marriott

Marriott Reviews

Updated Apr 20, 2014

Marriott President & CEO Arne Sorenson

Arne Sorenson

Pros:
  • "Marriott offers employers a real work life balance depending on the position that you are in"
    in 25 reviews
  • "Good benefits, lots of opportunity to grow in the company if you are willing to relocate"
    in 52 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance can be hard with certain jobs"
    in 29 reviews
  • "Long hours but that's a given in the hospitality industry"
    in 51 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I like the job

I have been working at Marriott

ProsI love the people, they are great in working with my needs as the mother of a growing family. i am constantly tought new skills and encouraged to apple for higher paying positions.

ConsIt can be very gossip-y, as I suppose most customer service based industries are

Great student job!

Maintenance Engineer (Former Employee)
Provo, UT (US)

I worked at Marriott part-time for less than a year

ProsLots to do, interact with guests, decent pay, sometimes free food, independence to take care of assigned tasks, learned good handyman skills such as fixing disposals, cleaning carpets, fixing toilet/plumbing problems, lighting/electrical problems, and pool maintenance.

ConsLate hours: 3PM-11PM 2-3 times per week, at the mercy of the guests, weekend and holidays included, small team so getting days off can be difficult but management works well with your schedule, no use of cell phones/headphones allowed so no music while working.

Working at the Marriott was amazing

Front Desk Associate (Former Employee)
Lincoln, NE (US)

I worked at Marriott part-time for less than a year

ProsThey treat their employees very well and I felt like I was an essential part of the team. Marriott is such a respectable brand, I was proud to say I worked for them.

ConsAs a front desk associate, I spent a lot of time of my feet.

It is an ok job but not career.

Night Auditor (Current Employee)
Cordele, GA (US)

I have been working at Marriott full-time for less than a year

ProsFor this area the pay is ok. The job itself is pretty easy. Just do your checklist and that pretty much it. You have the whole day to do what you need but if your just getting off at 7 am the only thing your probably going to want to do is sleep.

ConsIf you're not use to working at night then it is going to take some time to get adjusted to. At times you may work at night or if they need you during the day then you have to re-adjust your sleep pattern. Guest at times can be a little more on the rude side for things that you have no control over. Then again many people who work in customer/guest service can relate to that.

Educational

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Marriott

Prosgreat hotel discounts nation/world wide

Conslow pay, must be flexible for scheduling

Performance root cause analysis

Engineer (Current Employee)
Bethesda, MD (US)

I have been working at Marriott full-time for more than 8 years

ProsProperty discount when booking Marriott or Ritz rooms. Visibility into different components of Marriott.com infrastructure. It gives you a chance to learn if this is what you want.

ConsAs far as I am concerned I did not see any Cons. For people who do not want to wark off hours it may be an issue.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are doing a great job

Excellent and Supportive

Director of Golf (Former Employee)

I worked at Marriott full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSuperior customer service and willingness to satisfy customer. Annual employee reviews to identify challenges and make adjustments to support associates.

ConsPay is less but offset by outstanding benefits

Awesome!!!!!

Night Auditor (Current Employee)
Chicopee, MA (US)

I have been working at Marriott full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat hours of work and sub par hourly pay. Time off when request.

ConsHard to advance in this career.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

A Great Company To Work For

Dinning Room Attendant (Former Employee)
San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Marriott full-time for more than a year

ProsThe company is international and has a lot of space to grow. Management is competent and implements necessary changes in policies. The company offers good benefits.

ConsIt can be difficult to get hired because employees rarely quit. The bureaucracy of the company can be difficult for new hires to adapt to.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Great Job Depending on the Management

Front Desk Agent (Current Employee)
Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Marriott full-time for more than a year

ProsMoney is good, Tips, Overtime, and benefits i.e. dental, No Two Marriotts Are the same, You can make the job as demanding or as non demanding as you want, Great Guests and experiences lead to friendships and connections. Culture is fun and exciting.

ConsIf you have bad managers your life will be very difficult, they have so much influence on your duties if they want. Additionally good Coworkers need to be there because you work together bad coworkers = bad property, No two Marriotts are the same, When you have a bad guest it makes life difficult

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should consider when hiring how difficult new team members can be for other employees the front desk needs to work together. Additionally managers need to stand behind their employees

Worked for Marriott? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Marriott reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Marriott CEO Arne Sorenson. All 996 reviews are posted anonymously by Marriott employees.