Marriott

Marriott Reviews in Frederick, MD

Marriott President & CEO Arne Sorenson

Arne Sorenson

7 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Terrible for IT work as of last year, and getting worse

Technical Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Marriott full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCheap hotel deals, when available, are a great benefit (only for permanent employees). Comfortable office building. Tries to be green, if you like that kind of stuff. Traces of corporate loyalty remain, but that's changing fast, so hurry up to enjoy it. They have money to burn on nice HQ facilities, which is nice for us who are there. Company makes good profits, so great bennies and pay for upper management if that's where you're looking to work.

ConsIT outsourcing is well underway. Beware if you are IT contracting; they might tell you it's "just a re-org", but IT employees are being rebadged with outsourcers later this year, or (mostly) just sacked, with only a handful left to oversee the outsourced services, and IT contractors have no idea what's coming. Outside of IT, seems OK, so long as you watch for the next benefit cut; they do this to some random thing every year or so. Other IT shops in DC Metro often pay much better. Absolutely, totally would never recommend this place right now to an IT friend unless s/he is desperate and willing to work a rapacious contract but with an unknown future.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo late for advice other than how to pick up the wreckage. You sure picked the wrong guys to run this. Get some good lawyers to deal with your outsourcers later. Get a good PR firm to deal with the fallout from random IT failures that are coming.

Windows System Administrator

Windows Systems Administrator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Marriott full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat Benefits, friendly working conditions and culture

ConsCompany is leaning towards outsoucing of IT

Good place to work

Operations Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Marriott full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood benifits. Great discounts on rooms.

ConsAll of the "IT" at headquarters are being out-sourced. 1500 - 2000 employees will start fresh as a contract employee. People that have been here for 40 years are the same as those just hired.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people lke people and not just a dollar amount on the payroll...

Good place to work in IT data center but might change soon

I have been working at Marriott full-time for more than 10 years

ProsLots of interesting tech work and fairly flexible work-life balance and good vacation policies (but changing and not so good for new hires). Work from home for many techies. Employees are generally happy with the way it is run, good hotel discounts, and Marriott has been run like a family company with employees treated well.

ConsVery big changes are underway as IT outsourcing projects have been started so be aware of this if you are looking for a long term job as it might turn into a one year job, if they even hire at all because they might close off outside hiring in light of the consolidation and outsourcing ahead. Given current events, for short term experience, it is good, but not long term which is a gamble. Med insurance is available but not especially cheap.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe wary of outsourcing and what you get stuck with besides cheaper costs. You have been down this road before and dodged a bullet. Maybe not this time.

Work/Life balance needs improvement

I have been working at Marriott

ProsThe hotel discount is a truly great benefit. As an IT professional you will get to work with the latest and greatest technologies.

ConsThe balance between work and life is non existent for associates in operations. On call duties are grueling. In addition to on call, the majority of systems work must be performed during the night and weekends. Salaries are not competitive with the rest of the market, especially given the demands of the positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease total staff and pay for current staff.

System Administrator

Systems Administrator (Former Employee)

I worked at Marriott

ProsExcellent opportunity for movement within company. Marriott prefers to promote employees before hiring in. Excellent benefits package. Good friendly people easy to talk to and work with.

ConsAfter working some time at Marriott, technical skill set may become somewhat specialized to your specific area and their particular environment; it may be difficult to find work at the same level upon leaving the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement does a good job of disseminating information to employees. In my observation they could generally improve on the structuring of priorities.

Marriott one of the best places to work in the IT field.

Systems Administrator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Marriott

ProsPerks and New technology to learn

ConsSalary not at the median level.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey are doing a good job

Worked for Marriott? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Marriott reviews and ratings in Frederick, MD — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Marriott CEO Arne Sorenson. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Marriott employees.