Marriott

Updated Jul 23, 2014

3.6 1,197 reviews

Marriott President & CEO Arne Sorenson

Arne Sorenson

Pros
  • Marriott really focuses on a good work-life balance(in 32 reviews)

• Great benefits such as steeply discounted hotel rooms when traveling(in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life Balance went away with the re-organization of the sales department(in 38 reviews)

• Some times the demands to work long hours proves to be a burden to associates family members(in 63 reviews)

1,197 Employee Reviews

Staff Focus

ProsGood focus on staff training especially line staff, on staff awareness of the company and company goal - movement available overseas for the right person

ConsManagers can get left behind with focus on line staff
    Growth in all areas of the world with set standards can be a negativtive as countries do not always have the available items/goods/regulations

Advice to Senior ManagementIndividual Country awareness not grouped

More need to be done

Food and Beverages Manager (Former Employee) Melbourne

ProsBill Marriott laid a great foundation for a wonderful business

Conscurrent management and property managers not living up to expectations that was laid down by Marriott

Advice to Senior ManagementMore can be done

One of the best place to work.

Executive Housekeeper (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsMarriott opens a door of opportunities to talented people who enjoys what they do. Marriott embodies a culture and values - "look after the associates (staff members) and the associates will look after the business."

ConsBusy operation - need to be on your toes at all times. Working on different individuals with different communication styles and culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the momentum going, be healthy and exercise regularly, keep up with the world news, read books related to managing people and the hospitality industry.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Marriott International

ProsMarriott International is by far the best company I have had the opportunity to work for. With the offering of health insurance, 401K and the chance to move up in the company not many can beat it.

ConsHours are sometime a bit inconvenient at times, which really isn't an issue. The only con i can think of is that other hotel companies seem to pay more.

FIne

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosclose to home and good training

Conspretty bad communication and benefits. it was union, so difficult to get rid of bad employees

Great Company for Career Growth

Front Desk Associate (Current Employee) Bethesda, MD (US)

ProsGood career growth opportunities
    Very Diverse

ConsIf you want to move up, you have to network. But that's true just about anywhere, right?

Great Employer. Takes Care of the Employee

ProsAlot of advancement available. Alot of knowledgable people to learn from

ConsI have nothing bad to say about the company!!

It depends

ProsBetter than average benefits, great discounts, opportunities to transfer,
    Word of advice: avoid smaller properties (Courtyard, Residence Inn) unless you want to be on a shorter track to GM as you will end up with more work and less pay

ConsTransfer process is not good. If an associate has a good review, there current manager should not be required to give a reference as I have had managers at different properties basically screw me over so that I would be stuck with them. Also managers should be more receptive to employees trying to transfer from different departments.
    The tuition reimbursement program is great except for the fact that you have to jump through flaming hoops.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider associates that would like to transfer from other departments. Current associates should be given first priority or at least an interview for openings.

life as an employee of Marriott

Bistro Attendant (Former Employee) Greensboro, NC (US)

ProsMarriott has wonderful benefits and I would recommend them to anyone looking for employment.

ConsThe pay is not as great as one would think.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

"Spirit to Serve" is their philosophy.

General Manager (Current Employee) Williamsport, PA (US)

ProsVery good company to work for. They care both for the Marriott emotes as well as the Marriott guests.

ConsLong hours, perhaps. But the rewards are great!

Advice to Senior ManagementMarriott's upper management is in the loop as to their brands - Keep it up!

Worked for Marriott? Contribute to the Community!