Marriott

Marriott Reviews

Updated Apr 20, 2014

Marriott President & CEO Arne Sorenson

Arne Sorenson

Pros:
  • "Marriott offers employers a real work life balance depending on the position that you are in"
    in 25 reviews
  • "Good benefits, lots of opportunity to grow in the company if you are willing to relocate"
    in 52 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance can be hard with certain jobs"
    in 29 reviews
  • "Long hours but that's a given in the hospitality industry"
    in 51 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Staff Focus

I have been working at Marriott full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood focus on staff training especially line staff, on staff awareness of the company and company goal - movement available overseas for the right person

ConsManagers can get left behind with focus on line staff
Growth in all areas of the world with set standards can be a negativtive as countries do not always have the available items/goods/regulations

Advice to Senior ManagementIndividual Country awareness not grouped

More need to be done

Food and Beverages Manager (Former Employee)
Melbourne

I worked at Marriott full-time for more than a year

ProsBill Marriott laid a great foundation for a wonderful business

Conscurrent management and property managers not living up to expectations that was laid down by Marriott

Advice to Senior ManagementMore can be done

One of the best place to work.

Executive Housekeeper (Current Employee)
Sydney

I have been working at Marriott full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMarriott opens a door of opportunities to talented people who enjoys what they do. Marriott embodies a culture and values - "look after the associates (staff members) and the associates will look after the business."

ConsBusy operation - need to be on your toes at all times. Working on different individuals with different communication styles and culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the momentum going, be healthy and exercise regularly, keep up with the world news, read books related to managing people and the hospitality industry.

Good Starting Place at Courtyard

I have been working at Marriott part-time

ProsFor someone with a future in Hotel industries and studying it in school great starting spot and the job expirence is invaluable. Learned alot and its a very nice hotel easily one of the top in town.

ConsCommunication is poor, departments dont get along management wise. In a smaller town the amount of canidates for certain positions must be lacking because some of the hires are head scractching. Im just here to learn and this place has plenty good and bad to take forward.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe are a franchised hotel so I will not knock Marriott, the company that owns us sucks and I wish Marriott would get in the owners of the hotel more and not let them cut so many corners. Hurting the name Marriott which I am proud to work for.

Nothing special

Guy (Former Employee)
Kwekwe (Zimbabwe)

I worked at Marriott part-time for less than a year

Prospeople are nice

policy was not good
training could be better
development should improve

Advice to Senior Managementimprove facilities

Amazing introduction to the hospitality industry.

Front Desk Agent (Current Employee)
North Little Rock, AR (US)

I have been working at Marriott full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat people, great policies, and a very guest-oriented view of the hotel world.

ConsDepending on franchise owner, can be rather bad at keeping employees happy, which is a big part of the Marriott philosophy.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't sell your hourly staff short! They dedicate a lot of time and effort to the company, often at the expense of big portions of their personal lives; it's important to recognize and reward these workers when possible. I've always been treated very well, but I have seen some employees who have not.

Great Place to work

Assistant Director of Finance and Accounting (Former Employee)
San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at Marriott full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMarriott was a great company to work for. They offered flexible schedules, great work enviorment, lots of employee benefits/Perks and the company provides all kinds of tools and resources to support work needs.

ConsI worked property side and in order to advance your career you have to be willing to relocate (often). You have to be willing to move when there is an opening available. there really isn't a way to "correct this" it is the natural flow of how it has to work, it just didn't work well for where I needed to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think the company has it nailed down and does a great job over all. So, just keep doing what you're doing.

Good place to work

Kitchen Supervisor (Former Employee)
Marco Island, FL (US)

I worked at Marriott full-time for more than 5 years

ProsVery stable company, they take good care of the associates

ConsPay scale is low to begin with, there is room for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementSome upper level managers will promote younger associates over older ones, even if the older candidate is more qualified. That is why I left the company.

Company with great culture

Event Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Marriott full-time

ProsCompany with great culture values. Focus on company values on each morning's stand up to keep the momentum. Great discount for employee and their families with more than 3200 hotel worldwide,

ConsDue to high volume of business, work and life balance can be challenging. Depending on the property, option of working from home on a slower day helps greatly.

Was a great decision to join the Marriott International team

I have been working at Marriott full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe culture is very inviting and energizing. The company is structured with programs that really show how important the associates, community, and guests are to the business. There are many different career paths and opportunities for anyone who is interested in pursuing growth and development.

ConsBenefits plans are equivalent to other companies of similar size and scope.

Worked for Marriott? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Marriott reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Marriott CEO Arne Sorenson. All 996 reviews are posted anonymously by Marriott employees.