Marriott Reviews

3.7
1,289 Reviews

Marriott President & CEO Arne Sorenson
Arne Sorenson

Pros
  • Marriott really focuses on a good work-life balance (in 32 reviews)

• Great benefits such as steeply discounted hotel rooms when traveling (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life Balance went away with the re-organization of the sales department (in 38 reviews)

• Some times the demands to work long hours proves to be a burden to associates family members (in 63 reviews)

More Highlights

Staff Focus

I have been working at Marriott full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good focus on staff training especially line staff, on staff awareness of the company and company goal - movement available overseas for the right person

Cons

Managers can get left behind with focus on line staff
    Growth in all areas of the world with set standards can be a negativtive as countries do not always have the available items/goods/regulations

Individual Country awareness not grouped

More need to be done

Former Employee - Food and Beverages Manager  in  Melbourne
    Former Employee - Food and Beverages Manager in Melbourne

I worked at Marriott full-time for more than a year

Pros

Bill Marriott laid a great foundation for a wonderful business

Cons

current management and property managers not living up to expectations that was laid down by Marriott

More can be done

One of the best place to work.

Current Employee - Executive Housekeeper  in  Sydney
    Current Employee - Executive Housekeeper in Sydney

I have been working at Marriott full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Marriott opens a door of opportunities to talented people who enjoys what they do. Marriott embodies a culture and values - "look after the associates (staff members) and the associates will look after the business."

Cons

Busy operation - need to be on your toes at all times. Working on different individuals with different communication styles and culture.

Keep the momentum going, be healthy and exercise regularly, keep up with the world news, read books related to managing people and the hospitality industry.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Extraordinary

Former Employee - Senior Event Operations Supervisor  in  Bethesda, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Event Operations Supervisor in Bethesda, MD (US)

I worked at Marriott full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Management really cares about employees and their development, associates have the opportunity to be double coded, Mr. Marriott visits property and is genuinely happy to greet staff, company allows associates to spend quality time with their families

Cons

Overcoming the gossip amongst staff, staff isn't supportive of others who have been promoted, oftentimes associates don't have the proper tools to effectively do their jobs and at times feel management doesn't care

Make time to listen to associates concerns and give undivided attention when listening to them. Management needs to realize that L- Listen.E- Empathize.A- Apologize - .R- React or Respond .N- Notify. also applies to associates as well as Hotel guests and to remember Mr. Marriott's Motto, if you take care of the associates, the associates will take care of the customers and the customers will come back is very true.

awesome working with marriott international

Current Employee - Guest Service Representative (Front Desk)  in  Delhi (India)
    Current Employee - Guest Service Representative (Front Desk) in Delhi (India)

I have been working at Marriott full-time for more than a year

Pros

best employee welfare well cultured environment

Cons

salary may be a concern

Marriott Select Service Hotels - Residence Inn Example

Former Employee - Security  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Security in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Marriott full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working at a Select Service Marriott Hotel will give you experience in all area of hotel operations if you want to seek it out. My last hotel had nearly 200 rooms and only 40 employees. Plan on working in at least two different hotel departments on a regular basis from the department your job position is written for. Now this can be fun and rewarding but depends heavily on the small management team and that during low occupancy one maybe doing the work of 2 or 3 paid employees during a high season. Your pay doesn't increase with the work load and you always have to keep up your primary job duties just like that was your only 40 hrs assignment.

Cons

The hourly pay at Marriott Select Service hotels is usually $3 -4 dollars less than that same position summary at a Full Service hotel and again the work load and working outside of your job description happens every day. There are very few if any leadership position to move up into. If you want to move up in your Marriott Career then don't stay at a Select Service hotel more than 2 years. Learn your job, get the managers to write a strong yearly evaluation on you and FORCE THEM TO GIVE YOU A COPY OF THE EVALUTION FOR YOUR RECORDS. My previous hotel only did yearly evaluations on only about 25% of the staff.

Great company - Good balance between professional & personal life

Former Employee - Global Sales  in  Dubai (United Arab Emirates)
    Former Employee - Global Sales in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

I worked at Marriott full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Good Company culture
    - Supervisors are encouraged to empower their teams

Cons

- Associate rates are not the best, and they are not easily available

Marriott Internship

Former Employee - CollegeHuman Resources  in  Lexington, KY (US)
    Former Employee - CollegeHuman Resources in Lexington, KY (US)

I worked at Marriott as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great opportunity for growth within the company. They love to let you work in other areas and are more than willing to help you succeed wherever you are. Every employee does their best to make guests stay the best possible.

Cons

Hospitality takes a variety of different hours to make it successful. Some late nights, weekends or holidays will be necessary, but the values and benefits make up for it. Sometimes you will get grumpy guests, but a smile and a positive attitude can help you get through it while pleasing your guest.

No upward movement

I have been working at Marriott

Pros

I love my job position.

Cons

The pay is not good

There is nothing they can do from what I was told

HR Trainee Berlin

Former Employee - Human Resources Trainee
    Former Employee - Human Resources Trainee

I worked at Marriott as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Since it was a small office with only three to four employees, you get a lot of responsibilities. Even though I was an intern, I eliminated the first round of applicants for an apprenticeships before I forwarded potential ones to the Coordinator. I was involved in a lot of work processes throughout the whole internship, which gave me a very good view on how working as a full time employee would be.

Cons

There is no chance of starting as a full time employee, they mostly hire high school graduates for that position to fill in basic work like data entry, sorting, early application processes, sending and receiving emails, being there for employee request like vacation, sick days and etc.

Worked for Marriott? Contribute to the Community!