Marriott

Updated Jul 31, 2014

3.6 1,220 reviews

Marriott President & CEO Arne Sorenson

Arne Sorenson

Pros
  • Marriott really focuses on a good work-life balance (in 32 reviews)

• Great benefits such as steeply discounted hotel rooms when traveling (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life Balance went away with the re-organization of the sales department (in 38 reviews)

• Some times the demands to work long hours proves to be a burden to associates family members (in 63 reviews)

More Highlights
1,220 Employee Reviews

Staff Focus

ProsGood focus on staff training especially line staff, on staff awareness of the company and company goal - movement available overseas for the right person

ConsManagers can get left behind with focus on line staff
    Growth in all areas of the world with set standards can be a negativtive as countries do not always have the available items/goods/regulations

Advice to Senior ManagementIndividual Country awareness not grouped

More need to be done

Food and Beverages Manager (Former Employee) Melbourne

ProsBill Marriott laid a great foundation for a wonderful business

Conscurrent management and property managers not living up to expectations that was laid down by Marriott

Advice to Senior ManagementMore can be done

One of the best place to work.

Executive Housekeeper (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsMarriott opens a door of opportunities to talented people who enjoys what they do. Marriott embodies a culture and values - "look after the associates (staff members) and the associates will look after the business."

ConsBusy operation - need to be on your toes at all times. Working on different individuals with different communication styles and culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the momentum going, be healthy and exercise regularly, keep up with the world news, read books related to managing people and the hospitality industry.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company for Career Growth

Front Desk Associate (Current Employee) Bethesda, MD (US)

ProsGood career growth opportunities
    Very Diverse

ConsIf you want to move up, you have to network. But that's true just about anywhere, right?

Great company, Great experience!

Rooms Operations Manager (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA (US)

ProsCompetitive Salary
    Comprehensive Training
    Advancement Opportunity
    Great Overall Culture
    Team/Family feeling among all departments

ConsDifficult, extremely busy downtown market.

Wonderful experience. A great employer to learn about customer service.

At Your Service Agent (Former Employee) Orlando, FL (US)

ProsOpportunity for growth, customer-focused company

Conshospitality hours (you're probably going to work holidays, nights and other times)

Advice to Senior ManagementReward and promote those with potential quickly, otherwise you'll lose them.

Marriott offers great benefits.

Associate (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ (US)

ProsGreat benefits, hotel perks are awesome as Marriott hotels are worldwide. Marriott associates are very professional and exceptionally friendly.

ConsThere was a lack of professional and personal growth in our department. This industry relies heavily on high and low season which makes it difficult to have financial stability during off seasons.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you value certain employee, ensure that you are in touch or aware about their professional development needs.

Marriott is great

Prosgreat company to work for

Consno cons that I can think of

Front desk in Newport Beach, CA

Front Desk Associate (Current Employee) Newport Beach, CA (US)

ProsGreat co-workers, fun work environment, but also high employee standards. If you like customer service you will love working for Marriott.

ConsVery poor management. Terrible, long and sometimes back to back hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementTRAIN. Train everyone thoroughly. They don't get enough training and that effects the guest experience and also the employees.

My Housekeeping Manager Experience at Courtyard

Housekeeping Supervisor (Former Employee) Bethlehem, PA (US)

ProsOpportunity for advancement, benefits, promotions. Job is very dynamic, and you always meet good people where you learn from and help you throughout your job.

ConsLike in any hospitality industry, you know when to start working, but due to the nature of business itself, you do not know when to finish

Advice to Senior ManagementSupervisors and managers should have assistants in order not to extend the long hours of work into one employee.

Worked for Marriott? Contribute to the Community!