Marriott

Updated Jul 31, 2014

3.6 1,219 reviews

Marriott President & CEO Arne Sorenson

Arne Sorenson

Pros
  • Marriott really focuses on a good work-life balance (in 32 reviews)

• Great benefits such as steeply discounted hotel rooms when traveling (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life Balance went away with the re-organization of the sales department (in 38 reviews)

• Some times the demands to work long hours proves to be a burden to associates family members (in 63 reviews)

More Highlights
1,219 Employee Reviews

It depends

ProsBetter than average benefits, great discounts, opportunities to transfer,
    Word of advice: avoid smaller properties (Courtyard, Residence Inn) unless you want to be on a shorter track to GM as you will end up with more work and less pay

ConsTransfer process is not good. If an associate has a good review, there current manager should not be required to give a reference as I have had managers at different properties basically screw me over so that I would be stuck with them. Also managers should be more receptive to employees trying to transfer from different departments.
    The tuition reimbursement program is great except for the fact that you have to jump through flaming hoops.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider associates that would like to transfer from other departments. Current associates should be given first priority or at least an interview for openings.

life as an employee of Marriott

Bistro Attendant (Former Employee) Greensboro, NC (US)

ProsMarriott has wonderful benefits and I would recommend them to anyone looking for employment.

ConsThe pay is not as great as one would think.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

"Spirit to Serve" is their philosophy.

General Manager (Current Employee) Williamsport, PA (US)

ProsVery good company to work for. They care both for the Marriott emotes as well as the Marriott guests.

ConsLong hours, perhaps. But the rewards are great!

Advice to Senior ManagementMarriott's upper management is in the loop as to their brands - Keep it up!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing experience

Anonymous (Former Employee) Burbank, CA (US)

ProsVery team oriented, each and every employee is cared about and taken care of by management. Very fun company, always holding events to keep employee morale high and keep employees motivated.

ConsCan be overwhelming at times

Marriott is a Great Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHotel Benefits
    Fun atmosphere
    Great start for hospitality

ConsAngry guests
    Long days
    Some managers not helpful

I enjoyed working for Marriott for the most part. The company is outstanding for work/personal life balance!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Bethesda, MD (US)

ProsWork/personal life balance
    Community Outreach
    Benefits (hotel discounts, especially)
    Flexibility

ConsCompensation in relation to your individual contributions
    Management's inability to deal with employee conflict

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers should be forced to attend mandatory training on an annual basis. Some managers have favorites who they cater to and others are so aloof that they don't know what is going on within their departments.

Awesome

Food and Beverage Assistant (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsEverything the people to the pay great overall job

Consearly hours but that would be all nothing to bad if you dealt with customers before it shouldn't be a problem

Advice to Senior ManagementGREAT JOB GUYS!

Great summer experience

Server (Former Employee) Minett, ON (Canada)

Pros-young energetic staff
    - excellent orientation and training
    - good brand standards
    - beautiful location

Cons- seasonal staff sometimes makes things difficult w experience levels
    - manage,ent can be somewhat lazy

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more enagaged with your employees and less prejudice.

A lot of work but great reward

Front Office Manager (Current Employee) Elizabeth, NJ (US)

Prosjob security, number of hotels, number of positions, great people, great benefits, a lot of chances to grow internally, decent pay

Conslittle training, no school reimbursement, 24 hour business, long hours which make long weeks, little social life, a lot of stress on body and mind

Wonderful Employer

Guest Service Representative (Former Employee) Memphis, TN (US)

ProsThey really try to promote from within. They are willing to train you and offer online classes but the best opportunities come from hands on experience. Benefits are pretty ok.

ConsYou have to be in really good with management to really see promotional opportunities. They could train little better, they have a tendency to follow the sink or swim ideal.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to make opportunities more available to employees instead of trying to trap them in one position.

Worked for Marriott? Contribute to the Community!