Marriott Reviews

3.7
1,344 Reviews

Marriott President & CEO Arne Sorenson
Arne Sorenson

Pros
  • Marriott really focuses on a good work-life balance (in 33 reviews)

• Great benefits such as steeply discounted hotel rooms when traveling (in 75 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life Balance went away with the re-organization of the sales department (in 46 reviews)

• No work life balance, very long hours that inmediate supervisors don't appreciate (in 74 reviews)

More Highlights

good company to grow your career

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Marriott full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good pay, good training opportunities and great health care benefits. Culture is very strong and you have a close relationship with management

Cons

challenging hours. sometimes you can get stuck in your career for just getting lateral promotions

none

amazing place to work great benifits

Current Employee - Front Desk
    Current Employee - Front Desk

I have been working at Marriott full-time

Pros

great people great place to work

Cons

low start pay but lots to make up for that

Duty Manager

Former Employee - Duty Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Duty Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Marriott full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-amazing benefits
    -room to grow
    -really cares about employees

Cons

worked for franchise so tight on labour

continue following Marriott's spirit to serve and you will stay a leader :)

Nice

Current Employee - Pool Attendant in Tucson, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Pool Attendant in Tucson, AZ (US)

I have been working at Marriott part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy, nice people, very welcoming.

Cons

Everything was great, no problem.

Keep it up

good company to work for

I have been working at Marriott

Pros

good regulations and standards. high customer focus.

Cons

A bit more creativity should be possible sometimes. This is less due to the amount of rules/ regulations.

I love working for Marriott

Current Employee - Kitchen Supervisor in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Kitchen Supervisor in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Marriott full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Marriott has one of the friendlies staff members and the team work is incomparable. I have always wanted to work for a company that I really liked and not just needed for a check, and now I have found it and I plan to grow and mature with the company.

Cons

As with any job you will always have challenges and one of the biggest challenges that I see is when people get set in their ways and are not willing to accept change.

Make a conscious effort not to make a difference between your host, no matter what the differences in work ethic are. This will make for a positive experience for everyone.

Nice Work Environment, Pay Doesn't Commensurate with Costs of Living

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD (US)

I have been working at Marriott full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, flexible when it comes to family-related issues, benefits are great

Cons

Wish they didn't start cutting back on paid time off. It used to be 20 days your first year then they cut it back to 10 days. Don't be stingy on overtime or at least be specific about using overtime as compensated time (free PTO). Getting promoted is hard and so is trying to get into different departments.

Bring back bonuses, not just for directors, VPs, and up. I think your employees deserve bonuses as hard as they work to make this company look good.

Needs Better Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livonia, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livonia, MI (US)

I have been working at Marriott part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible, company outings, employee discounts

Cons

Working holdidays, lack of authority by management, employees are not held responsible for their own actions

Follow your employee manual.

Worked for Marriott International for over 15 years. Started in the hotels and after several years ended at Headquarter

Current Employee - Director in Bethesda, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Bethesda, MD (US)

I have been working at Marriott full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits including medical, dental, disability, profit sharing, vacation time, some departments offer telecommute and flextime, daycare for a fee, exercise club for a fee, cafeteria, gift shop, post office. Associate rate for hotel rooms with good discounts. Competitive pay. Formalized HR and associate review policies. Big company so many opportunities in different departments. Respected company in the area. If you are a person who is type A competitive and enjoy big company politics then this is the place for you...

Cons

Although they claim, the company culture is still the same "we take care of the associates so that they take care of the guests" the company culture has changed signifigantly to be direct profit driven. They no longer value expertise in the hotels or the hospitality industry and go out of their way to outsource and/or hire people outside of the hospitality industry. This has resulted in not accomplishing objectives because the right people are not in the right jobs and therefore it takes more time, money to get anything done and in the end although they think they saved money but outsourcing they actually increase cost because of the lack of expertise and inefficiences. Customer service is suffering as a result. Departments are very sioled and each VP is more concerned with covering mistakes vs learning from them, and competitive to the point of heeding progress. Therefore switching departments and job growth is very difficult because of this competitive and siloed environment. Associates are expected to work long hours to reach unrealistic deadlines with inappropriate staffing and is very stressful environment . Workload varies greatly between departments. What was once a culture of collaboration and a work family is now one of competitiveness and backstabbing. I long for the days of the old Marriott ...

Marriott International is a different company now, so instead of saying that has maintained the same culture and philosphy be open and honest about what Arne Sorenson's real philosphy is because it certainly is not what it use to be. Should value expertise of individuals with hospitality experience and education vs throwing them out the door and replacing them with people with no experience in the industry. Need to invest in research and development so that we stay ahead of the competition and implement innovation ahead of our competitors vs always playing catch up.

It's ok

Current Employee - Front Desk Clerk in Andover, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Front Desk Clerk in Andover, MA (US)

I have been working at Marriott full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people I work with are great and there is a lot f room to grow and stay with the company in different areas

Cons

The pay is not the greatest and many times you are required to do things outside of your job description.

None