Marriott

3.7
1,412 Reviews

Marriott President & CEO Arne Sorenson
Arne Sorenson

Pros
  • Good people, work-life balance, get to meet a lot of interesting characters (in 35 reviews)

• Great benefits such as steeply discounted hotel rooms when traveling (in 79 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life Balance went away with the re-organization of the sales department (in 48 reviews)

• No work life balance, very long hours that inmediate supervisors don't appreciate (in 77 reviews)

More Highlights

Great!!

I have been working at Marriott

Pros

Excellent pay, and discounts,free lunch,benefits

Cons

Open 24hours and on the holidays

Best place to work

Current Employee - Banquet Server
    Current Employee - Banquet Server

I have been working at Marriott part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

High standards, leaders that care, competitive wages, great benefits and limitless opportunities for growth! Love it!

Cons

The fastest career growth may require transferring to another location

Your focus on taking care of employees so they can take care of guests is the genius of Marriott. Don't ever lose sight of it!
    “If you take care of your people, your people will take care of your customers, and your business will take care of itself.” -JW Marriott

Fun, great for outgoing personalities. Good internship experience.

Former Employee - Intern in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Intern in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Marriott full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy-going guests and colleagues, and occasional free food and company events.

Cons

Theft within the employees, staff can be untrustworthy (housekeeping, maintenance or young front desk). They blatantly take your lunch items or steal from wallet if not kept securely in lockers.

Pay your employees what they are worth.

Valet

Current Employee - Valet in Tallahassee, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Valet in Tallahassee, FL (US)

I have been working at Marriott full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy tips. Can be fast pace. Good pay. Nice hotel. The work environment is very friendly and plenty places to move around to.

Cons

Overnight. Working overnight can be hard especially if you are doing it and going to school it can be difficult. Also you may come across rude guest.

Credit Supervisor

Former Employee - Credit Supervisor in Columbia, SC (US)
    Former Employee - Credit Supervisor in Columbia, SC (US)

I worked at Marriott full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I set my own day, knew what needed to be accomplished for the day and with all of the added interruptions that would
    always occur, I was satisfied at the end of the day, that I had done my best, and on to the next day.

Cons

I basically had to learn the job by the seat of my pants. Meaning, my former boss left for health reasons, and I filled in for her, and then took her position when she was not able to return. No "formal training, learned as I went, and I believe I did a good job.

Management was good, don't get me wrong, but sometimes they do not see potential in a person that is right in front of them. I firmly believe, that age DOES make a difference, not experience.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Banquet Server in Erlanger, KY (US)
    Current Employee - Banquet Server in Erlanger, KY (US)

I have been working at Marriott part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun and friendly environment to work in. Very accommodating for school.

Cons

Hours may be inconsistent. It all depends on the how much business the hotel has at the time. Usually pretty slow during some of the winter months.

Great company

I worked at Marriott

Pros

good company.. Good values.. Nice way to meet new people and a plus if you are in the hospitality field

Cons

not so great pay. But they can raise you of they like you. Just be responsible and show up for you're shifts

After a while it takes its toll on you

Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in Quincy, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in Quincy, MA (US)

I worked at Marriott full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can use employee discounts for yourself for travelling and they also have friends & family rates you can help others with as well. I also never had to bring food to work because I would show up before my shift and have access to an all-you-can eat buffet in the break room that was prepared by the kitchen on top of being able to order a limited menu from the kitchen during the evening as long as the kitchen staff approved of it and the restaurant wasn't too busy.

Cons

The owners of the hotel were so profit-driven where they created a negative experience for customers and of course when you're the one who has to answer to these problems day in and day out it can take it's toll on you. Charging for Wi-Fi, parking, price gouging food & beverages, and any other way to squeeze money out of people in a full-service hotel means a lot of disgruntled guests.

Don't look down on the people who are beneath you. There was all too often talk among lower ranking associates about being taken advantage of in many areas of the hotel. Areas like housekeeping and the restaurants specifically were targeted where associates were under staffed and over worked in regards to their pay. I was often the only bellman working at a hotel with over 450 rooms which means I would be completely swamped to the point where I couldn't even take a break to sit down and get off my feet without getting a call on my earpiece that I was needed out front.

Wonderful Experience

Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Marriott full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hotel Discounts and the employees that work here

Cons

Besided the Front Desk Associates management doesnt cope well with lower level employees

Proper care of your staff

Not the worst, definitely not the best.

Current Employee - Guest Service Agent in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Guest Service Agent in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA (US)

I have been working at Marriott full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

weekly pay.
    Culture is very diverse.
    Teams and co-workers are usually great to work with.
    No shortage of hours, and in the event that there is, there are often many hotels that are in need of temporary staff and you are welcomed to help them.
    Communication between hotel properties is great. No matter what time, if you call a sister property, they will most certainly respond in a timely manner.
    Donation efforts.

Cons

Company growth- Not good, been here over 4 years and missed many holidays, birthdays, anniversaries working doubles, overtime, etc. with no recognition. I've applied to over 30 transfers within the company and have yet to even land an interview, only automatic emails of rejection, the majority of the positions were lateral moves too.
    Tuition Reimbursement- only applies to particular courses.
    Discounts- Often unavailable.
    work/life balance- non-existent unless you are in management.
    pay- Not capable of living off unless you are in management.
    management- When they leave for the day, that's it, they are gone, almost as if they forgot they even work here. Same goes for the weekends, Friday mid afternoon, (maybe) late afternoon comes, they are gone till Monday.
    working alone- very difficult with no maintenance/houseman/housekeepers.

It is who you know, not what you know. Remember this If you plan to go up the latter.

Attempt promoting from within.