Marriott

3.7
1,447 Reviews

Marriott President & CEO Arne Sorenson
Arne Sorenson

Pros
  • Good people, work-life balance, get to meet a lot of interesting characters (in 39 reviews)

• Great benefits such as steeply discounted hotel rooms when traveling (in 80 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life Balance went away with the re-organization of the sales department (in 50 reviews)

• No work life balance, very long hours that inmediate supervisors don't appreciate (in 79 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to start

I worked at Marriott

Pros

Employees, Friendly Environment, friendly guest's

Cons

Salary is not motivating to stay too long.

Could've been better...only got worse...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Marriott full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The only redeeming quality of any work I've done with Marriott has been the people I work with and the interesting guests I've met. My fellow associates have been some of the coolest people that I've had the pleasure of interacting with and working alongside and some guests have been massively cool! They were the only reason I was able to stand working at either property for as long as I did. I made god friends and learned some things about myself, professionally and personally...but those things are things I really could've learned anywhere else...preferably anywhere else.

Cons

Now, I love people! I love interacting with others, I love communicating with others, but when there is an issue in the workplace and management tells you to stop basically "grow up", that is when you know that the company you work for is NOT for the people or hospitable in any way towards their supposed guests or their associates. In terms of work-life balance, what work-life balance? The hours are 24/7, 365 days, and management doesn't really respect the life part of that balance...especially if you are involved in anything outside of hospitality (i.e. school, part-time job, church, family, etc). If you majored in or absolutely LOVE hospitality, then it won't bother you....but otherwise, stay away. :P

LISTEN TO YOUR ASSOCIATES! When everyone says something is wrong, something is wrong. When there is miscommunication or disrespect coming from the leadership, something is wrong. And if more than enough guests come up to speak about a particular individual causing disruption to their otherwise pleasant experience with staff and stay, something is wrong. It was our CEO, Arne Sorenson, that stated to (and I'm paraphrasing) treat your associates well, and the guests will be taken care of. Leadership doesn't automatically come with the job title...and status doesn't equal wisdom. Please...listen to your associates!!!

Great company to work for as long as you are in the right department

I have been working at Marriott

Pros

This company is definitely the place to work if you are looking for growth. There are so many departments you can work in and so many different locations. Once you get hired and have worked six months in a position, you have the chance to apply within the company (worldwide) for another job. And already being an employee of the Marriott, you get to view the available jobs before they are opened to the public.

Cons

It really sucks that depending on what department you work in, you aren't always guaranteed hours. Working in the events department can be fun and busy at times, but then not busy at all when it comes to holiday seasons. I have pretty much for the past 4 months hardly had any hours of work. I'm not sure how they expect their employees to survive without hours. No hours, no pay.

The Marriott is obviously a huge corporate company, thus meaning a lot of managers. Each department obviously has their own manager. I can't speak for them all but i would advice them to open their eyes to whats going on around them. And to make an effort to not have your employees feel like just a number. But then that's also expected at a corporate company.

Overall was good experience

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Bethesda, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Bethesda, MD (US)

I worked at Marriott full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits and training Fun to work with some of the co workers

Cons

If higher management likes you will get a chance of moving up regardless of your knowledge about your job

There is certain level of discrimination exit and I believe I was discriminated.

Low pay scale, small pay increases.

Current Employee - Night Auditor, Front Desk Agent, Manager On Duty in Tucson, AZ (US)

I have been working at Marriott full-time (more than an year)

Pros

there is a fair amount of paperwork but overall it is quiet and non- stressful. The guest are normally happy people and there is security for the over night shift.

Cons

They low wages are not much more than minimum wage and annual raises are about 2.5%. Work loads streadly increase with knowledge but the wages do not match.

Stop being cheap.

Great company

I worked at Marriott

Pros

good company.. Good values.. Nice way to meet new people and a plus if you are in the hospitality field

Cons

not so great pay. But they can raise you of they like you. Just be responsible and show up for you're shifts

Courtyard Marriott Hotel

Former Employee - Sales and Accounting
    Former Employee - Sales and Accounting

I worked at Marriott as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

staff was professional and friendly, I adapted very quick and learned so much .I worked in the sales and accounting department and I felt important and very much liked by my staff which were so much more experienced then me. I was respected and was given an opportunity to hold my own safety training class ( by my self) which involved the entire staff of the hotel to sit through an hour to 2 hour long test about blood pathogens, emergency conditions etc.

Cons

unfortunately my internship was over and due too layoffs at the time I wasn't able to be hired.

please hire me again

Excelent

Current Employee - Housekeeping in Hanover, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Housekeeping in Hanover, MD (US)

I have been working at Marriott full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I am want grow up.
    Having another position.

Cons

In my position i don't have any motivated to grow...

Incredible Company, Satisfied Employees!

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Marriott full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Marriott takes care of their employees
    - The Marriott standard is upheld to the best of their abilities
    - Friends and family discounts at any Marriott, employee discounts are even better
    - "My company store" allows you to get discounts on anything you can think of with Marriott
    - Excellent training as an operations intern

Cons

- If you are going in to the hospitality industry, primarily management, you will work long hours. Those of us who love the industry already know this and are willing to continue working because we are passionate and driven, but for the associates just there for a paycheck it could be frustrating.

"Never Changing but Ever Changing"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Richmond, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Richmond, VA (US)

I have been working at Marriott full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Marriott is an innovatory from ideas to the way we travel. BIG IDEAS BIG REWARDS. I love the culture!

Cons

Marriott's Sales structure has changed drastically over the past 5 years. I am uncertain of what the future looks like. It is a little scary.

I have no advice to Management.