Marriott

www.marriott.com
Profile Unclaimed

Fun

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in New Orleans, LA (US)
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in New Orleans, LA (US)

I worked at Marriott

Pros

Great people to work with, AWESOME company, great room discounts, meet new people.

Cons

Pay, employee cafeteria food not good

Increase employee pay,

working with this company has been wonderful! I really love my guest.

I have been working at Marriott full-time (less than a year)

Pros

One of the best reasons to work for the this company, would be meeting new people. Here at this hotel we have a lot of guest who are here for months to year and the guest becomes family. they are very wonderful.

Cons

I would say the location of this hotel isn't the best location to work at.

Excellent keep up the good work

Decent Pay, Great People

I worked at Marriott

Pros

I've worked in a couple different hotels, and my co-workers were consistently great! They were hardworking and fun. The same can be said of employees in different departments.

Cons

Some clients are fairly demanding, but that happens anywhere.

Continue supporting your staff, keep up the good work hiring great managers.

Director of IT

Current Employee - Director in Bethesda, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Bethesda, MD (US)

I have been working at Marriott

Pros

Work Life Balance, Easy work, Technology is behind most companies by at least 5-10 years especially in Contact Center. Everyone is often so nice that its fake. Nobody dares challenge the current management that has been there for 20+ years because they are not innovative and not competitive. A lot of dead weight around the office.

Cons

1) Hold back on positive feedback. But let the negative feedback fly. You don’t want your people getting too high on themselves. Positive feedback is the cotton candy of HR tactics; you don’t have time for this. On the flip side, these drones working for you aren’t going to learn their lesson unless they stop making mistakes. They need to fear making mistakes. That way, mistakes simply won’t happen!

2) Take credit for the work of others. Hey, you hired them. The glory is yours. Besides, your employees probably would have been embarrassed had you publicly recognized their great idea and nose-to-the-grindstone effort.

3) Get your employees hyper-competing with each other. Yes, we’re competing externally with a host of other talented, amazing companies. But competition begins from within, where employees duke it out in the employment octagon, leaving the most talented standing. We need to separate the wheat from the chaff; once that’s done, we can start cooperating and going after our competitors.

4) Ignore the great ideas of your employees. In fact, don’t even listen, unless it’s an idea worth stealing (see no. 2). You’re the one with the fancy degrees; these people work in lower positions for a reason, right? With a limited amount of precious time each day, mete out your listening carefully.

5) Keep dead weight around, but fire good people for no reason. And when it’s time to cut off some heads, do it with extreme prejudice and impunity. It’s best to keep your employees off-balance, sort of like a gunslinger making a poor sap dance by shooting at the ground near his feet. Keep ‘em limber and focused!

6) Haze outgoing employees. People quitting your organization are quitters. They need to feel pain for their betrayal, even if you’re providing them a dangerous narrative to share via word of mouth, social media, blog posts, future speeches, and so on.

7) Keep tabs on employees by stalking their social media accounts. And if you get a sniff of something you don’t like, ask for their personal passwords so you can log in and get the real scoop. Oh, you need not worry. It’s probably not yet illegal in your state. And they’re your employees; you deserve to know what they’re doing online.

8) Stop even thinking about work-life balance, because it has nothing to do with work. Get a grandparent to go pick up your puking child. We hired you to be here, working for us, and we expect you here. We don’t have time for sick children, nor your own sniffles. Athletes play through pain every day. Why can’t you and your kids do the same? Our company is on a mission, and we need to know you have skin in the game (otherwise, see no. 5).

Get Innovation, the Cloud, API and better people figuring out bigger problems. Talk talk talk

Server

I worked at Marriott

Pros

Good leadership, and opportunity to learn and move up

Cons

poor Communication between other departments

Excellent team oriented workplace for those who enjoy serving others as a profession.

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent

I worked at Marriott

Pros

Friendly fast paced environment to refine your customer service skills. Travel benefits are exceptional and a real asset to the employees enjoyment of their time off.

Cons

Mostly hire from within which stifles environment from bringing in a constant flow of fresh faces, personalities, and perspectives to liven up the place.

Dont get so stuck on the numbers that you neglect the needs of any employees you may have under you.

Decent Starting Job

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Marriott

Pros

Very nice tips when you get nice customers

Cons

Very awful customers. You get the worst people treating you like trash.

same routine every time; nothing new

Former Employee - Bistro Server in Addison, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Bistro Server in Addison, TX (US)

I worked at Marriott

Pros

usually approve your time off; very nice co-workers

Cons

Hard to grow within the company, never get to go to the sales office unless you have a relative that works there

learn to help your employees grow

nice

Current Employee - Reservationist in Solon, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Reservationist in Solon, OH (US)

I have been working at Marriott full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The customers love talking to them and making them happy

Cons

the personalties of people I work with. Most of them are very nice and others are just haters

stop being so touchy about rulesor being negative about an employee and think positive sometimes about others

Meh

I worked at Marriott

Pros

Good name, however that can only take you so far.

Cons

Too many management companies bidding on how low they can run a a Marriott. Marriott corporate cannot compete with these low baller management companies. Associate suffer with less benefits and less pay.

Try to reach for longevity goals, not short term investor goals.