Marriott

3.7
1,408 Reviews

Marriott President & CEO Arne Sorenson
Arne Sorenson

Pros
  • Good people, work-life balance, get to meet a lot of interesting characters (in 35 reviews)

• Great benefits such as steeply discounted hotel rooms when traveling (in 79 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life Balance went away with the re-organization of the sales department (in 48 reviews)

• No work life balance, very long hours that inmediate supervisors don't appreciate (in 77 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company overall

Former Employee - Manager, Sales Analysis in Bethesda, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Manager, Sales Analysis in Bethesda, MD (US)

I worked at Marriott full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are great at Corporate Headquarters. They're passionate about what they do and have a bright outlook for the company. Case in point, many associates have been with the company for 10+ and even 20+ years.
    There are lots of things going on so you definitely won't get bored, but it's all mostly fun. Work-Life balance is great nonetheless.

Cons

Like many large companies, there's a lot of politics, red tape and silos going on. You need to know how to navigate all this in order to get things done and move up.
    Also, what used to be a company with awesome benefits has become your regular Fortune 500 company with average benefits. Nothing sub-par, just average.

Some groups at corporate function a lot like small eCommerce start-ups - they're passionate and get things done. Others feel more like 100-yr brick-and-mortar corporations where "this is how we've always done it so this is how we'll continue to do it". Shake these groups up a little bit and you'll see some amazing things happen.

Wonderful Experience

Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Marriott full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hotel Discounts and the employees that work here

Cons

Besided the Front Desk Associates management doesnt cope well with lower level employees

Proper care of your staff

After a while it takes its toll on you

Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in Quincy, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in Quincy, MA (US)

I worked at Marriott full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can use employee discounts for yourself for travelling and they also have friends & family rates you can help others with as well. I also never had to bring food to work because I would show up before my shift and have access to an all-you-can eat buffet in the break room that was prepared by the kitchen on top of being able to order a limited menu from the kitchen during the evening as long as the kitchen staff approved of it and the restaurant wasn't too busy.

Cons

The owners of the hotel were so profit-driven where they created a negative experience for customers and of course when you're the one who has to answer to these problems day in and day out it can take it's toll on you. Charging for Wi-Fi, parking, price gouging food & beverages, and any other way to squeeze money out of people in a full-service hotel means a lot of disgruntled guests.

Don't look down on the people who are beneath you. There was all too often talk among lower ranking associates about being taken advantage of in many areas of the hotel. Areas like housekeeping and the restaurants specifically were targeted where associates were under staffed and over worked in regards to their pay. I was often the only bellman working at a hotel with over 450 rooms which means I would be completely swamped to the point where I couldn't even take a break to sit down and get off my feet without getting a call on my earpiece that I was needed out front.

Not the worst, definitely not the best.

Current Employee - Guest Service Agent in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Guest Service Agent in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA (US)

I have been working at Marriott full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

weekly pay.
    Culture is very diverse.
    Teams and co-workers are usually great to work with.
    No shortage of hours, and in the event that there is, there are often many hotels that are in need of temporary staff and you are welcomed to help them.
    Communication between hotel properties is great. No matter what time, if you call a sister property, they will most certainly respond in a timely manner.
    Donation efforts.

Cons

Company growth- Not good, been here over 4 years and missed many holidays, birthdays, anniversaries working doubles, overtime, etc. with no recognition. I've applied to over 30 transfers within the company and have yet to even land an interview, only automatic emails of rejection, the majority of the positions were lateral moves too.
    Tuition Reimbursement- only applies to particular courses.
    Discounts- Often unavailable.
    work/life balance- non-existent unless you are in management.
    pay- Not capable of living off unless you are in management.
    management- When they leave for the day, that's it, they are gone, almost as if they forgot they even work here. Same goes for the weekends, Friday mid afternoon, (maybe) late afternoon comes, they are gone till Monday.
    working alone- very difficult with no maintenance/houseman/housekeepers.

It is who you know, not what you know. Remember this If you plan to go up the latter.

Attempt promoting from within.

Good place to work, free food

Former Employee - Sales, Front Office, Accounting in Falls Church, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales, Front Office, Accounting in Falls Church, VA (US)

I worked at Marriott full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very good for growth within and company hotel discounts are great. I worked for many different Marriott hotels through out the years.

Cons

Pay is low, they claim you should treat employees like you treat your customers, but their hiring process is ridiculous. No one ever contacts you to explain why you are not getting a position, it's all very unfriendly.

Not my favorite place.

I have been working at Marriott

Pros

Will work with accommodating schedule. And decent benefits.

Cons

Hire ghetto people who are team players. Very disorganized. Housekeepers only out for themselves.

Don't hire unreliable people

Learn Service

I worked at Marriott

Pros

They teach you the basics of service. Learn how a business runs.

Cons

You are expected to give the customer service to match the hundreds or thousands they spend. Marriott keeps 80% and gives you 20%.

Disappointing experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD (US)

I worked at Marriott full-time

Pros

Potential to move up and grow with the company.
    While my experience was unfortunate, I think that a different Marriott location might be a good place to work.

Cons

Very bad management (completely unorganized, lack experience, unprofessional, etc.).
    Very low pay.
    The days and hours that you work are very unpredictable and sometimes you only find out the day before.
    When managers were underperforming/not showing up it took about 6 months for them to be fired, which is way too long.

Good company

Current Employee - Accounting Manager in Bethesda, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Accounting Manager in Bethesda, MD (US)

I have been working at Marriott full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, smart people to work with, great corporate culture

Cons

Upper management can be out of touch

Be a little bit considerate for the situation on the ground

Consistent management practice, great place to work if you'd like to work for a company with a strong company culture

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Marriott full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Wide diversity of people working, great benefits like room discounts, excellent employee appreciation program.

Cons

Long hours of work, near impossible work-life balance