Marriott

Updated Jul 31, 2014

3.6 1,220 reviews

Marriott President & CEO Arne Sorenson

Arne Sorenson

Pros
  • Marriott really focuses on a good work-life balance (in 32 reviews)

• Great benefits such as steeply discounted hotel rooms when traveling (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life Balance went away with the re-organization of the sales department (in 38 reviews)

• Some times the demands to work long hours proves to be a burden to associates family members (in 63 reviews)

More Highlights
1,220 Employee Reviews

customer service representative

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)

Prosbenefit is good
    Mr Marriott has a sound philosophy about his company and employee

ConsMr Marriott's philosophy doesn't spread out into organization.
    Once a manager is Spanish, you hardly find any employee except them.
    HR doesn't support employee, only for managers

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to hire to someone who has knowledge about hotel industry, not just people who you know already.
    Managers should support employee

OK, Not Great

SEO Analyst (Current Employee) Omaha, NE (US)

ProsSolid benefits and PTO. Hotel discounts are very nice.

ConsVery difficult to move up without "playing the game" to an extent that can be uncomfortable.

AYS Supervisor

AYS Supervisor (Former Employee) Torrance, CA (US)

ProsGreat benefits, work life balance, and great employees

ConsLow pay and the lack of help from management.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Reality doesn't match reputation

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Bethesda, MD (US)

ProsDiscounts for hotel stays are great and are not only available to "associates" but to partners, parents and limited availability to siblings.

ConsInsurance is expensive, co-pays are high and every package company offers requires you to pay 10% on hospital stays, MRIs, CAT scans, etc. Maybe this is how insurance is nowadays, but I've never encountered this before.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep a better eye on middle management. When I've worked with SVPs and above, they have been friendly, one made a point of meeting me on my first day in his department. This may not sound unusual, but it was 2009, the economy had just tanked, I took the job in his department because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get anything better. I was working as a temporary, less than 25 hours a week. But, middle management is just the opposite. They are ridiculously demanding, wanting you to work 12 hour days and still work at night. They are ungracious. When you you do everything they require and beyond there is no thank you in person or on your review. I got very tired of one and two percent raises. The "Spirit to Serve" is applied by the associates strictly at the properties to outside customers. It isn't applied at corporate when "serving" other associates in corporate departments. I was always taught at other companies that anyone I was helping, whether they worked for another company or our company should be treated as a customer.

Restaurant Supervisor

Restaurant Supervisor (Former Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsGreat benefits! Corporate structure allows for job security and motivation.

ConsThe structure of the hotel was out of wack. People in management positions seemed like they got there just by putting in time, not by merit or knowledge.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire managers that have experience and know the position

Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly envirement well managed busy

Consno room for growth long hours

Advice to Senior Managementhelp to improve employees pay rates

Good but could be a lot better.

Marriott (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsGood stable job for someone starting out or in school.

ConsNot a great work to life balance; family functions, weekends and holidays will be spent working.

There were some great friendly people and bitter hateful people that I worked with

Guest Service Representative (Former Employee) Oklahoma City, OK (US)

ProsSome of the people are friendly and helpful.

ConsThe work can be stressful and chaotic. There were some jealous bitter co-workers. The pay is not so good however you do get full benefits.

Great company to work for!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits, Room Rate Discounts and so much opportunity world wide. Lots of training and corporate affiliated discounts. Pretty Solid pay all the way around.

ConsAs an entry level employee I found it very hard to break the barrier for a promotion. Yes there is a ton of opportunity but it feels like you've really got to know someone in management to get up there.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook for the young professionals who are truly passionate about hospitality!

wRTt

Intern (Current Employee) Miami, FL (US)

Prosgoog, comfortable, nice ambiance, good managers

Consthe compensation is a little low

Worked for Marriott? Contribute to the Community!