Marsh & McLennan Companies

Updated 15 November 2014
3.2

Marsh & McLennan Companies President & CEO Daniel S. Glaser
Daniel S. Glaser

Pros
  • Great Benefits, Work life balance depending on the department, name brand recognition (in 27 reviews)

• Good benefits and paid time off is generous (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Noone is recognized except top producers ands senior management (in 13 reviews)

• long hours and not the best management structure in place (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to grow a diverse career

Former Employee - Human Resources
    Former Employee - Human Resources

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lot of great people to work with, very diverse skill sets and capabilities to learn from. Great opportunities to move within the businesses if you want to

Cons

Too cost focused at times on things that undermine the culture and make people feel disengaged

Professional and Second to None.

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Sydney
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Sydney

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Professionalism and expertise locally here in Australia in the Construction realm is second to none. Working environment is social and professional.

Cons

Commitment to clients is great, but career development for employees i.e. wanting to move overseas has been hit with continue barriers. I would think that career development and a global perspective would be sought after, however it has proved hard to come by when choosing to move OS.

Marsh

Current Employee - Assistant Vice-President in Sydney
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice-President in Sydney

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies

Pros

Marsh & McLennann has provided some great opportunities to work with some very experienced brokers. MMC Clients are very interesting.

Cons

Management lack of recognition that staff are performing. There are some really great employees but the lack of recognition has a negative effect on performance.

Management to actually interact and talk to staff about concerns. Management to action the concerns of employees versus saying we have listened to your concerns and nothing evolves.

Overall, positive experience

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If you like to be busy, this is the place to be. Constant change = constant (and often crazy) work. Work schedule is typically flexible and there are allowances for working from home.

Cons

If you don't play politics, don't expect to get ahead here. There is somewhat of a 'group think' mentality here. Because of this, no one wants to make tough decisions and projects tend to drag out.

Good management team; Worst business partners evers

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I worked in Chicago so the location and facilities were great. My direct management team was very supportive of my work and gave me flexibility to do my job although it involved long days with evening and weekend work.

Cons

Company way too big and disjointed. Managers in other business units usually expected unrealistic turnaround times and if you didn't respond the same day, your management team was sometimes notified. Business partners didn't want to be bothered with questions that didn't pertain to their roles, They perceived that as you not knowing how to do your job and let your management team know that it was a inconvenience and that they also didn't appreciate it. Essentially, there was no spirit of collaboration and/or teamwork. There was no aspirations of working in unison. Managers in other departments typically provided an environment of fear and intimidation that went unchecked. It was all about instant results. In the brokerage world, that is the nature but there has to be realistic expectations. And forget about the work/life balance - it didn't exist. Although the benefits and compensation were good, it wasn't enough to keep me there which is probably the reason they had them in the first place. This was perhaps the most stressful environment I've ever worked in and I've worked with some very well recognized and respectable companies. Unfortunately, my management team was under constant fire and backlash to the point they couldn't manage effectively so I wish my experience would have been more profitable.

Wake up... Your company will not sustain itself with this type of corporate culture and this culture seems to pride itself on "intelligence" while all the while promoting intolerance. There is a new generation of contemporaries out here that will not accept this style of leadership and will find work in other places. Do you hear what is being said?

A challenging environment where Creativity & Innovation is not embraced

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time

Pros

The compensation and benefits are very attractive, but only if you get into a management role.

Cons

Resources are often over overloaded. Projects delivery dates are often backed into a date that management wants to achieve without fully rationalizing and evaluating the real effort needed to get the project completed properly.

Taking the time to fully understand and estimate the effort for a given project is key to its success. Cutting corners, reducing scope, and skipping valuable steps all leads to the delivery of a subpar performing product or solution. Taking the time to do things the right way from the beginning will greatly reduce the amount of time and effort needed for support and maintenance going forward.

Micromanaged, micromanaged, micromanaged

Former Employee - Private Client Services in Las Vegas, NV (US)
    Former Employee - Private Client Services in Las Vegas, NV (US)

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary is decent for Las Vegas area, benefits are good

Cons

The cons far outweigh any good at the Las Vegas location

Treat employees like adults would be a good start

Good "in-between jobs" job, but not much else.

Current Employee - Certificate Specialist I in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Certificate Specialist I in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1. If you come from a background with little to no experience in a professional setting, this job is a great way to adapt yourself to a high profile business environment and it's an easy way to pad your resume with proven experience.

2. Benefits and perks are (slightly) better than other entry-level positions

3. Once you learn everything, this job is mostly exaggerated data entry. If you want something relatively stress-free and mindless to do while you catch up on podcasts, this isn't a bad way to kill a work week.

4. Most of the people I work with are great and everyone here is nice

5. All promotions are done internally and there are opportunities for advancement pretty often

Cons

1. The benefits are good, but the pay sucks. The pay structure might have been good 10 years ago when they set it up, but it's not good enough now especially when other entry level jobs in the same industry are paying more. There are bonuses in place for people who meet certain metrics each quarter, but they're not great, they're dependent on a broken system, and they take advantage of employees (putting in the work of 2-3 people should net you more than $200, guys).

2. The training process is a four week intensive program that a lot of people fail and most drop out of. That's not to say that it's difficult, but this job appeals to very few people who are intelligent and patient enough to stick with it. If you're actually self-aware and professionally focused enough to read this review before you apply to this company then you're smart enough to get this job and get through the training. Regardless, it's discouraging to work for a company that brings in relatively few people who want to stick around, and even more discouraging that the people who do stick around are sometimes (kind of) a mess.

3. On the corporate structure, our company is at the bottom. This means that any changes (like a department-wide pay increase or an upgrade to a glitchy, broken program ten years out of date) have to be approved by a corporate office that doesn't fully understand what we do or cares. The turnover rate for other departments outside of ours is pretty high so proving yourself to a higher-up and building a relationship can be pointless when they're gone a month later and they're replaced with a new person who just sees you as another faceless schmuck. Constantly having to define your role in this company over and over again even after you've proven your worth ten times over is incredibly demoralizing and defeating.

Create more incentives or give higher bonuses to the people who pull more than their weight. If you can't keep people around then at least give more worth to the people who have stayed. Stop wasting money trying to train dead horses and invest more money in the people who are still around. Retaining good employees will be much more valuable (and cheaper) than hiring new ones.

A culture of revolving leadership. They never compensate for they work you give them.

Current Employee - Information Technology Manager
    Current Employee - Information Technology Manager

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Up until this year benefits were above average. Some of the technology team are driven and well supported. It really depends on you immediate boos.

Cons

In 8 years I have had a max of 2% raise every year. Salaries are below par and there is no training or room for advancement. Leadership lives in NYC or London in big towers. They are insular and out of touch with their employees. Mercer, the 'HR' company is a joke. Marsh is full of wannabes. Guy Carpenter is full or bloated egos. Oliver Wyman is full of egos that might give Guy Carpenter are run for it money. If your LGBT you'll never get fired for any drama. Discriminates against people who are not politically correct.

Stop the drive to the bottom and stop outsourcing your staff to India.

Good people to work with, but salaries and contributions are not always commensurate with skill set or raises

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Louisville, KY (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Louisville, KY (US)

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent health benefits and the company is diverse.

Cons

Not a lot of room for growth.

Marsh & McLennan Companies Photos