Marsh & McLennan Companies

Updated 2 March 2015
3.2

Marsh & McLennan Companies President & CEO Daniel S. Glaser
Daniel S. Glaser

Pros
  • Great Benefits, Work life balance depending on the department, name brand recognition (in 27 reviews)

• Good benefits and paid time off is generous (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Noone is recognized except top producers ands senior management (in 13 reviews)

• Very little thought given to providing any sort of work/life balance to employees (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to grow a diverse career

Former Employee - Human Resources
    Former Employee - Human Resources

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lot of great people to work with, very diverse skill sets and capabilities to learn from. Great opportunities to move within the businesses if you want to

Cons

Too cost focused at times on things that undermine the culture and make people feel disengaged

Low staff morale

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies

Pros

- Great staff and lots of intelligent people to work with
    - Large company with excellent global resources
    - Strategic and sophisticated client service methodology
    - Excellent and challenging clients

Cons

- No recognition given to top performing employees
    - Senior management with fat pay checks while lower level employees are run to the ground and extremely underpaid
    - Company is all about the clients at the expense of staff well being and morale
     - Salary review process a joke. Constant internal memos about year on year double digit growth while non-management staff who really deliver the services to clients receive salary adjustments lower than inflation
    - too much unnecessary bureaucracy
    - CEO gets a lot of kudos from shareholders for cutting costs while staff are burnt out due to ridiculous work load and lack of support staff
    - low employee morale
    - everything has to be approved by New York

Invest back in the business or you will lose your top performers which in turn will cost you a hell of a lot more than just recognising and doing the right thing by your staff

Professional and Second to None.

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Sydney
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Sydney

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Professionalism and expertise locally here in Australia in the Construction realm is second to none. Working environment is social and professional.

Cons

Commitment to clients is great, but career development for employees i.e. wanting to move overseas has been hit with continue barriers. I would think that career development and a global perspective would be sought after, however it has proved hard to come by when choosing to move OS.

Marsh

Current Employee - Assistant Vice-President in Sydney
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice-President in Sydney

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies

Pros

Marsh & McLennann has provided some great opportunities to work with some very experienced brokers. MMC Clients are very interesting.

Cons

Management lack of recognition that staff are performing. There are some really great employees but the lack of recognition has a negative effect on performance.

Management to actually interact and talk to staff about concerns. Management to action the concerns of employees versus saying we have listened to your concerns and nothing evolves.

very fair

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies

Pros

allows you to follow your own initiative

Cons

can be slow for approvals

work to maintain existing employees

Review

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Stable company with great benefits and good opportunities.

Cons

Too much overhead in the layers between mid and upper and upper management.

Too many "management" or other highly paid positions between corporate and geography. Also, need to pace change better in order to not overload with initiatives that are non-revenue generating.

Not the greatest company, but not the worst either

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Hoboken, NJ (US)
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Hoboken, NJ (US)

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The pay is relatively good here and there's lots of room for growth and advancement (if you fight for it). Most of the people here are exceptionally smart, friendly, and pleasant to work with. There's no formal training given in most departments but teammates are always willing to teach or help you if you ask. I would say the corporate culture here is pretty laidback. There's casual Fridays, occasional team luncheons, and celebratory happy hours. Can't say much regarding time-off policy but it seems to be fairly standard. Diversity of employees and corporate discounts are nice too here.

Cons

Lots of work and long days (sometimes even weekends). You are worked to the bone here, but I think most companies are like that nowadays. Processes are slow to change, sometimes unnecessarily convoluted, and often difficult to follow closely. Leadership here seems to be a little narrow-minded to me but the company does make their numbers every quarter. Benefit packages seem to be OK but I think more incentives could be offered to employees.

If you want to retain your employees and keep them working hard, you need to offer more money or better incentives. Also, I would encourage you to offer more opportunities for team-building, creativity, and fun. It could go a long way with your employees.

Raises are consistently 0% to 2% a year.

Current Employee - Underwriting Management
    Current Employee - Underwriting Management

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies

Pros

The purpose of my review is mostly to focus on salary increases at Marsh. I will preface my comments by saying that I enjoy my job, mostly because of the people I work with. I've also been given opportunities to advance in the company, which has made it worth my while to stay here. Marsh employees will know that meeting expectations is associated with obtaining a "3" performance rating at the end of year review. In my time working for a subsidiary of this company, I have rated between 3 and 5, regularly meeting and exceeding expectations. In any given year, the highest salary increase I've had was 2%, and in every instance, was well below the national average. Although it is possible to start off with a salary that is competitive at Marsh, over time, one is at a disadvantage salary-wise.

Cons

To reiterate, salaries can be competitive and opportunities available if you with hard. However, salary increases tend to be very small year to year.

started in 2012

Current Employee - Associate Manager in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

a big company with lots of global mobility opportunities

Cons

you need to work very hard to keep you job, the turnover rate is high in Finance departments

More focus on the emerging markets

I work at Marsh & McLennan Companies as a Local Technology Coordinator.

Current Employee - Local Technology Coordinator in Buenos Aires (Argentina)
    Current Employee - Local Technology Coordinator in Buenos Aires (Argentina)

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Top insurance brokerage firm. Constant change. and Work schedule is typically flexible and there are allowances for working from home depending of the Manager.

Cons

A lot of Burocracy. and somethimes There is no work life balance.

Marsh & McLennan Companies Photos