Marsh & McLennan Companies

Updated 15 December 2014
3.2

Marsh & McLennan Companies President & CEO Daniel S. Glaser
Daniel S. Glaser

Pros
  • Great Benefits, Work life balance depending on the department, name brand recognition (in 27 reviews)

• Good benefits and paid time off is generous (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Noone is recognized except top producers ands senior management (in 13 reviews)

• Very little thought given to providing any sort of work/life balance to employees (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to grow a diverse career

Former Employee - Human Resources
    Former Employee - Human Resources

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lot of great people to work with, very diverse skill sets and capabilities to learn from. Great opportunities to move within the businesses if you want to

Cons

Too cost focused at times on things that undermine the culture and make people feel disengaged

Professional and Second to None.

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Sydney
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Sydney

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Professionalism and expertise locally here in Australia in the Construction realm is second to none. Working environment is social and professional.

Cons

Commitment to clients is great, but career development for employees i.e. wanting to move overseas has been hit with continue barriers. I would think that career development and a global perspective would be sought after, however it has proved hard to come by when choosing to move OS.

Marsh

Current Employee - Assistant Vice-President in Sydney
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice-President in Sydney

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies

Pros

Marsh & McLennann has provided some great opportunities to work with some very experienced brokers. MMC Clients are very interesting.

Cons

Management lack of recognition that staff are performing. There are some really great employees but the lack of recognition has a negative effect on performance.

Management to actually interact and talk to staff about concerns. Management to action the concerns of employees versus saying we have listened to your concerns and nothing evolves.

Not good, not bad

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies

Pros

Mercer employees are very smart and motivated

Cons

There is no work life balance.

Turn over is very high - take that seriously.

Overall, positive experience

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If you like to be busy, this is the place to be. Constant change = constant (and often crazy) work. Work schedule is typically flexible and there are allowances for working from home.

Cons

If you don't play politics, don't expect to get ahead here. There is somewhat of a 'group think' mentality here. Because of this, no one wants to make tough decisions and projects tend to drag out.

Good management team; Worst business partners evers

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I worked in Chicago so the location and facilities were great. My direct management team was very supportive of my work and gave me flexibility to do my job although it involved long days with evening and weekend work.

Cons

Company way too big and disjointed. Managers in other business units usually expected unrealistic turnaround times and if you didn't respond the same day, your management team was sometimes notified. Business partners didn't want to be bothered with questions that didn't pertain to their roles, They perceived that as you not knowing how to do your job and let your management team know that it was a inconvenience and that they also didn't appreciate it. Essentially, there was no spirit of collaboration and/or teamwork. There was no aspirations of working in unison. Managers in other departments typically provided an environment of fear and intimidation that went unchecked. It was all about instant results. In the brokerage world, that is the nature but there has to be realistic expectations. And forget about the work/life balance - it didn't exist. Although the benefits and compensation were good, it wasn't enough to keep me there which is probably the reason they had them in the first place. This was perhaps the most stressful environment I've ever worked in and I've worked with some very well recognized and respectable companies. Unfortunately, my management team was under constant fire and backlash to the point they couldn't manage effectively so I wish my experience would have been more profitable.

Wake up... Your company will not sustain itself with this type of corporate culture and this culture seems to pride itself on "intelligence" while all the while promoting intolerance. There is a new generation of contemporaries out here that will not accept this style of leadership and will find work in other places. Do you hear what is being said?

A challenging environment where Creativity & Innovation is not embraced

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time

Pros

The compensation and benefits are very attractive, but only if you get into a management role.

Cons

Resources are often over overloaded. Projects delivery dates are often backed into a date that management wants to achieve without fully rationalizing and evaluating the real effort needed to get the project completed properly.

Taking the time to fully understand and estimate the effort for a given project is key to its success. Cutting corners, reducing scope, and skipping valuable steps all leads to the delivery of a subpar performing product or solution. Taking the time to do things the right way from the beginning will greatly reduce the amount of time and effort needed for support and maintenance going forward.

A 3 year swim in a shark tank

Former Employee - Client Advisor in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Client Advisor in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great exposure and tremendous networking opportunities along with high profile clients.

Cons

No room for promoting within. It's definitely a "good ole boy" networking hierarchy. Yearly raises are minimal and hard work is not appreciated by management. If your manager likes you then be or she will fight for you at review time...if not, then you're screwed.

Appreciate the people within your organization who actually handles the daily work in the trenches that literally keeps the company out of the "red".

Micromanaged, micromanaged, micromanaged

Former Employee - Private Client Services in Las Vegas, NV (US)
    Former Employee - Private Client Services in Las Vegas, NV (US)

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary is decent for Las Vegas area, benefits are good

Cons

The cons far outweigh any good at the Las Vegas location

Treat employees like adults would be a good start

A culture of revolving leadership. They never compensate for they work you give them.

Current Employee - Information Technology Manager
    Current Employee - Information Technology Manager

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Up until this year benefits were above average. Some of the technology team are driven and well supported. It really depends on you immediate boos.

Cons

In 8 years I have had a max of 2% raise every year. Salaries are below par and there is no training or room for advancement. Leadership lives in NYC or London in big towers. They are insular and out of touch with their employees. Mercer, the 'HR' company is a joke. Marsh is full of wannabes. Guy Carpenter is full or bloated egos. Oliver Wyman is full of egos that might give Guy Carpenter are run for it money. If your LGBT you'll never get fired for any drama. Discriminates against people who are not politically correct.

Stop the drive to the bottom and stop outsourcing your staff to India.

Marsh & McLennan Companies Photos