MassMutual Reviews

Updated 16 August 2014

3.2

MassMutual Chairman, President, and CEO Roger W. Crandall
Roger W. Crandall

Pros
  • Good compensation if you produce, friendly work environment (in 12 reviews)

• Great Benefits along with exam reimbursements if you are in the Actuarial Student Program (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • They try to convince you that success relies in making friends and family become your clients (in 8 reviews)

• Older culture, try to use your connections for their own, no salary (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Interesting place to work.

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Springfield, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Springfield, MA (US)

I have been working at MassMutual full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of good organizational knowledge in the resources who have been there for a while.

Cons

The new flavor of managing 'MMWay' is playing havoc with getting the real work done.

Re-think your purpose of MMWay -- can't fit a square into a round hole.

Sales with no commission

Former Employee - Registered Customer Service Representative  in  Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Registered Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at MassMutual full-time for more than a year

Pros

People I worked with were great.

Cons

-sales metrics without commission
    -mandatory overtime if you need good work/life balance
    -using technology from the 80s
    -scheduling pto is non existent

You are making your employees work hard for base salary and sales metrics with no commission is awful. Hire more people to help lower the ques. That's how you get good customer service ratings. Get all the departments on the same page. Every department is dropping callers into other departments that don't have the customer's account either. It's 2014 and this shouldn't happen.

Like working unpaid overtime? This may be your kind of place!

Current Employee - Underwriter
    Current Employee - Underwriter

I have been working at MassMutual full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Financially strong company. Great reputation in industry for paying claims. I hear that employees in non-production related roles don't have to work as much overtime.

Cons

With the economic downturn around 2008, like many companies, MassMutual stopped filling positions that became vacant due to attrition. Managers told the employees in production environments that they would simply have to get the work done with the staff they had left. They then began requiring staff to work X# of hours/ week of unpaid overtime. This has spiraled into an unfortunate work environment where the employees have to put in 5, 10, even 15 hours per week of unpaid overtime, on a regular basis, almost year-round. There is no way that you can work here and have a normal family life or social life. You can work 12 hours/ day all week and then still be told on Friday that you have to put in 5 more hours on Saturday. Huge sales contest every Sept-Dec- OT is even worse, vacation time not really permitted. Everyone in this type of role is trying to leave.
    Health benefits are sub-par.
    Ridiculous open work environments (no cubicle walls) to promote collaboration, even in roles where this is not appropriate.

Cut the enormous bonuses senior leaders are being paid a bit so you can afford to hire enough employees to manage the work and have a life. You are relying on your staff to work excessive free overtime as your normal way of managing business. Don't say you value work/life balance when your management philosophy proves your don't. As the economy improves, more and more people will be leaving.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company, terrible local management

Former Employee - Career Agent  in  Raleigh, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Career Agent in Raleigh, NC (US)

I worked at MassMutual full-time for less than a year

Pros

MassMutual is a great company w. very competitive products and services.

Cons

Local mgt. for the Raleigh-Durham agency simply cannot be trusted at all. Very adept at going back on their word and burning bridges. With a flame-thrower.

Great Opportunity

Current Employee - Career Agent  in  Maumee, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Career Agent in Maumee, OH (US)

I have been working at MassMutual full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great lifestyle and product value to clients - excellent sales training

Cons

Must pass life and securities test - must be willing to telemarket to get started

It killed me to leave, but I was working my tail off towards what ended up being nothing but empty promises.

I worked at MassMutual full-time

Pros

I started out as a receptionist and worked my way up to Executive Assistant to the GA/Licensing and Contracting Coordinator. Lots of personal growth.

Cons

I moved up in positions, never in salary. There was always another goal to be met before I could get the pay raise I had been working towards. Eventually, I just realized that it would never happen. They strung me along for way too long.

Pay the staff what they are worth. And don't make promises that you aren't planning on keeping.

Like being in a cult!

Former Employee - Retirement Education Specialist
    Former Employee - Retirement Education Specialist

I worked at MassMutual full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Being able to work in the field with clients wasn't a bad gig.

Cons

All they really care about is numbers. Working with retirement plans, and their participants is about so much more, competency, the ability to build trust and instill confidence...
    Such a cliquey culture of peers, and very poor management. It's sad to say in this modern era that Mass Mutual is still a big ol' sexist boys club. If someone decides they don't like you, even if it's for personal, not professional reasons, look out, it's only a matter of time before they will gang up and run you out of there.
    The corporate culture of RAH, Mass Mutual, sucks. It was like being at a pep rally, rather than being a working professional.

Pay more attention to your 'bad seeds' upper management who get drunk at conferences and behave inappropriately, and weed them out. It's hard to respect a superior who uses homophobic and racial terms that are generally frowned upon.

Good Company, Tough to get started

I worked at MassMutual

Pros

Great Mentorship and training

Cons

Difficult to start if your network is limited.

Intern/Starting as financial adviser

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at MassMutual part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great connections, hands on management, pay to get certified as broker, intensive training program

Cons

Older culture, try to use your connections for their own, no salary

Take a look at more recent corporate cultures, the cubical feel and old school management style seems out of date. Needs more of a fun and exciting atmosphere.

Excellent Leadership Team, but some middle management DUDs at the corporate office in Springfield

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President LEAN Change Leader  in  Springfield, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Vice President LEAN Change Leader in Springfield, MA (US)

I worked at MassMutual full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent benefits package; opportunity to experience many different business area functions; Leadership Team with a clear vision of the future and willing to invest to get there; great facilities and employee amenities on campus; pleasant grounds and surroundings; excellent security. Company is positioned well for future growth.

Cons

While the company promotes an open culture of coaching and feedback, some middle management in the company's Center of Excellence is mostly about negative feedback and rarely coaches direct reports on how they can get better in their role. As a mutual company it's less like a smaller private company and more like a Fortune 500 with similar bureaucracy and politics.

Continue with the current strategic direction, you're on the right track.

Worked for MassMutual? Contribute to the Community!