MassMutual

MassMutual Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

MassMutual Chairman, President, and CEO Roger W. Crandall

Roger W. Crandall

Pros
  • Good compensation if you produce, friendly work environment (in 12 reviews)

• Great Benefits along with exam reimbursements if you are in the Actuarial Student Program (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • They try to convince you that success relies in making friends and family become your clients (in 8 reviews)

• Older culture, try to use your connections for their own, no salary (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

My experience has been amazing.

Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) Glen Allen, VA (US)

ProsThese office culture is very upbeat and exciting. With a great benefits plan and leadership support, this company allows its employees unlimited growth opportunities

ConsIt can sometimes be a little difficult to establish a book of business without a sufficient natural market.

Not good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood opportunities if self-motivated and outgoing.

ConsAggressive marketing practices makes you uncomfortable.

Actuary - Continuous Learning and Cohesive Culture!

Actuary (Current Employee) Springfield, MA (US)

ProsWork with talented, intelligent, and driven colleagues; excellent work/ life balance; continuous support for further exams (CFA, FRM, Etc), after your FSA designation; great opportunities for growth in traditional and non-traditional roles; very supportive in taking opportunities to round out professional experience. Feel supported and greatly respect of each other. Attrition within Actuarial is very low which speaks loudly to overall satisfaction of an Actuary at MassMutual.

ConsLean six sigma process moving across MM, but, as we go through problem solving sessions, use some of the time as a team to celebrate success in change managment that we have done as a team...focus on the positives versus what we are doing wrong.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote ONE MASSMUTUAL in doing more events that bring the locations together so we can network with others in other business lines and celebrate successes. Excellent ELT that makes themselves approachable! Great company, as the financial success over the last few years highlights.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Short

Sales (Former Employee) Richmond, VA (US)

ProsThey require passing life insurance exams

ConsManagement has a bunch of stern figures

Good company, but no place for advancement

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe salary was not great

ConsNo room for advancement and or promotions

Advice to Senior ManagementExpect to much from their employees

Great Company - Excellent Leadership Team - Cares About Employees - Fantastic Trajectory

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Springfield, MA (US)

ProsSmart and caring people, generally friendly and helpful co-workers, good benefits, consistently strong results, strategic and forward-looking leaders, highly ethical and values based, gives to the community. Excellent employee services including on-site credit union, cafeteria, fitness center, employee store, dry-cleaner/shoe repair/barber-beauty salon, etc. Beautifully redone common area. On-site, free parking. Competitive pay. Collaborative culture.

ConsSpringfield location is not the best - no easy way to get there from the highway. Enfield location is right off the highway, though. Implementing lean methodology across company, and while this makes sense in production areas, it's torturous in knowledge-based areas. While lean tools can be helpful, when over-relied on they slow things down rather than make things better. Also, the move to open seating is ridiculous. Noise is distracting and intrusive and there is no privacy. The intent is to foster collaboration, but people just put on headphones so that they can concentrate. Collaborative culture can slow down decision making at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more flexible about lean. Re-think the open seating concept. Learn and use the tools, but don't be a slave to the methodology.

Fortune 100 company with small town culture

Pros- Lots of employee pride about working here
    - People genuinely seem to care about each other and their customers
    - bonus pay has been VERY high the past few years

Cons- slow to change
    - very conservative
    - passive aggressive....say "no" with a smile

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid to change. Good companies change before they have to.

I had an outstanding experience at MassMutual in Houston

Financial Advisor (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsThe support system at the Houston office is second to none. The managers empower the employees to achieve great results through coaching sessions, online training and more.

ConsThe industry is a make or break, but if you make it, you want to do it with MassMutual in Houston.

I got my Alabama Insurance license,I got the Rising Star award which can take 6 years to earn,I was in compliance.

Insurance Agent (Former Employee) Birmingham, AL (US)

ProsI took a test and scored highly and that is why they hired me plus the fact I had an outstanding retail background. I was a manger of a cosmetic line and in 12 years I took a $180k yearly counter into a $800k yearly counter. My customer Base I built was well over 500 customers.

ConsThe manger and his personal friends he hired were questionable especially in finance. He was fired after he let me go when AIG fell with no reason. He then fired the Comptroller ( the notary and legal of the office ) who now works for Met Life. He was very shady and again MassMutual fired him.

Advice to Senior ManagementNow that even life insurance has changed due to the ACC. I would have a set training for new agents. Educate on how to get your license before you send agents out. There is quite a loop because several ranks of managers make money off the agents sales of policies. Today is different than years ago. It is not so safe to have women go out and meet a prospect. I would have been just as happy to have an assistant position with a salary and bonuses. At that time I was guessing and taking classes that were not in order of being the best agent. I did make Rising Leader in my first 6 months. I had to point that out to my manager.

Great for Macro Financial Planning, Doesn't Pigeon-Hole Clients into Investments Only

Financial Advisor (Current Employee) Walnut Creek, CA (US)

ProsFrom the outset, I have been most impressed with the quality of people in this organization. The advisors here truly care about their clients and give advice freely. I've never seen that until I came to MassMutual.

ConsIf you aren't ready to run a business and the risks associated with it, don't join.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep continuing with the mentorship programs. Have more bonding events for new hires.

Worked for MassMutual? Contribute to the Community!