MassMutual

Updated 16 August 2014

3.2

MassMutual Chairman, President, and CEO Roger W. Crandall
Roger W. Crandall

Pros
  • Good compensation if you produce, friendly work environment (in 12 reviews)

• Great Benefits along with exam reimbursements if you are in the Actuarial Student Program (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • They try to convince you that success relies in making friends and family become your clients (in 8 reviews)

• Older culture, try to use your connections for their own, no salary (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Not good

Pros

Good opportunities if self-motivated and outgoing.

Cons

Aggressive marketing practices makes you uncomfortable.

Intern/Starting as financial adviser

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

Pros

Great connections, hands on management, pay to get certified as broker, intensive training program

Cons

Older culture, try to use your connections for their own, no salary

Take a look at more recent corporate cultures, the cubical feel and old school management style seems out of date. Needs more of a fun and exciting atmosphere.

Excellent Leadership Team, but some middle management DUDs at the corporate office in Springfield

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President LEAN Change Leader  in  Springfield, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Vice President LEAN Change Leader in Springfield, MA (US)

Pros

Excellent benefits package; opportunity to experience many different business area functions; Leadership Team with a clear vision of the future and willing to invest to get there; great facilities and employee amenities on campus; pleasant grounds and surroundings; excellent security. Company is positioned well for future growth.

Cons

While the company promotes an open culture of coaching and feedback, some middle management in the company's Center of Excellence is mostly about negative feedback and rarely coaches direct reports on how they can get better in their role. As a mutual company it's less like a smaller private company and more like a Fortune 500 with similar bureaucracy and politics.

Continue with the current strategic direction, you're on the right track.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company, tough to get going

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Pros

Great company and people to work with

Cons

It is tough starting out and building your own practice. Lots of help but you will either have to cold call or go after family and friends

financial representative

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative  in  Bethesda, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Bethesda, MD (US)

Pros

flexible schedule place to work with compesation.

Cons

only commission and no salary.

no comment for advice to management

My experience has been amazing.

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative  in  Glen Allen, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Glen Allen, VA (US)

Pros

These office culture is very upbeat and exciting. With a great benefits plan and leadership support, this company allows its employees unlimited growth opportunities

Cons

It can sometimes be a little difficult to establish a book of business without a sufficient natural market.

Good company, but no place for advancement

Pros

The salary was not great

Cons

No room for advancement and or promotions

Expect to much from their employees

I had an outstanding experience at MassMutual in Houston

Former Employee - Financial Advisor  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Houston, TX (US)

Pros

The support system at the Houston office is second to none. The managers empower the employees to achieve great results through coaching sessions, online training and more.

Cons

The industry is a make or break, but if you make it, you want to do it with MassMutual in Houston.

Actuary - Continuous Learning and Cohesive Culture!

Current Employee - Actuary  in  Springfield, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Actuary in Springfield, MA (US)

Pros

Work with talented, intelligent, and driven colleagues; excellent work/ life balance; continuous support for further exams (CFA, FRM, Etc), after your FSA designation; great opportunities for growth in traditional and non-traditional roles; very supportive in taking opportunities to round out professional experience. Feel supported and greatly respect of each other. Attrition within Actuarial is very low which speaks loudly to overall satisfaction of an Actuary at MassMutual.

Cons

Lean six sigma process moving across MM, but, as we go through problem solving sessions, use some of the time as a team to celebrate success in change managment that we have done as a team...focus on the positives versus what we are doing wrong.

Promote ONE MASSMUTUAL in doing more events that bring the locations together so we can network with others in other business lines and celebrate successes. Excellent ELT that makes themselves approachable! Great company, as the financial success over the last few years highlights.

I got my Alabama Insurance license,I got the Rising Star award which can take 6 years to earn,I was in compliance.

Former Employee - Insurance Agent  in  Birmingham, AL (US)
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Birmingham, AL (US)

Pros

I took a test and scored highly and that is why they hired me plus the fact I had an outstanding retail background. I was a manger of a cosmetic line and in 12 years I took a $180k yearly counter into a $800k yearly counter. My customer Base I built was well over 500 customers.

Cons

The manger and his personal friends he hired were questionable especially in finance. He was fired after he let me go when AIG fell with no reason. He then fired the Comptroller ( the notary and legal of the office ) who now works for Met Life. He was very shady and again MassMutual fired him.

Now that even life insurance has changed due to the ACC. I would have a set training for new agents. Educate on how to get your license before you send agents out. There is quite a loop because several ranks of managers make money off the agents sales of policies. Today is different than years ago. It is not so safe to have women go out and meet a prospect. I would have been just as happy to have an assistant position with a salary and bonuses. At that time I was guessing and taking classes that were not in order of being the best agent. I did make Rising Leader in my first 6 months. I had to point that out to my manager.

Worked for MassMutual? Contribute to the Community!