MassMutual

Updated 16 August 2014

3.2

MassMutual Chairman, President, and CEO Roger W. Crandall
Roger W. Crandall

Pros
  • Good compensation if you produce, friendly work environment (in 12 reviews)

• Great Benefits along with exam reimbursements if you are in the Actuarial Student Program (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • They try to convince you that success relies in making friends and family become your clients (in 8 reviews)

• Older culture, try to use your connections for their own, no salary (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

I got my Alabama Insurance license,I got the Rising Star award which can take 6 years to earn,I was in compliance.

Former Employee - Insurance Agent  in  Birmingham, AL (US)
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Birmingham, AL (US)

Pros

I took a test and scored highly and that is why they hired me plus the fact I had an outstanding retail background. I was a manger of a cosmetic line and in 12 years I took a $180k yearly counter into a $800k yearly counter. My customer Base I built was well over 500 customers.

Cons

The manger and his personal friends he hired were questionable especially in finance. He was fired after he let me go when AIG fell with no reason. He then fired the Comptroller ( the notary and legal of the office ) who now works for Met Life. He was very shady and again MassMutual fired him.

Now that even life insurance has changed due to the ACC. I would have a set training for new agents. Educate on how to get your license before you send agents out. There is quite a loop because several ranks of managers make money off the agents sales of policies. Today is different than years ago. It is not so safe to have women go out and meet a prospect. I would have been just as happy to have an assistant position with a salary and bonuses. At that time I was guessing and taking classes that were not in order of being the best agent. I did make Rising Leader in my first 6 months. I had to point that out to my manager.

Great Company - Excellent Leadership Team - Cares About Employees - Fantastic Trajectory

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Springfield, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MA (US)

Pros

Smart and caring people, generally friendly and helpful co-workers, good benefits, consistently strong results, strategic and forward-looking leaders, highly ethical and values based, gives to the community. Excellent employee services including on-site credit union, cafeteria, fitness center, employee store, dry-cleaner/shoe repair/barber-beauty salon, etc. Beautifully redone common area. On-site, free parking. Competitive pay. Collaborative culture.

Cons

Springfield location is not the best - no easy way to get there from the highway. Enfield location is right off the highway, though. Implementing lean methodology across company, and while this makes sense in production areas, it's torturous in knowledge-based areas. While lean tools can be helpful, when over-relied on they slow things down rather than make things better. Also, the move to open seating is ridiculous. Noise is distracting and intrusive and there is no privacy. The intent is to foster collaboration, but people just put on headphones so that they can concentrate. Collaborative culture can slow down decision making at times.

Be more flexible about lean. Re-think the open seating concept. Learn and use the tools, but don't be a slave to the methodology.

Fortune 100 company with small town culture

Pros

- Lots of employee pride about working here
    - People genuinely seem to care about each other and their customers
    - bonus pay has been VERY high the past few years

Cons

- slow to change
    - very conservative
    - passive aggressive....say "no" with a smile

Don't be afraid to change. Good companies change before they have to.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great for Macro Financial Planning, Doesn't Pigeon-Hole Clients into Investments Only

Current Employee - Financial Advisor  in  Walnut Creek, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Walnut Creek, CA (US)

Pros

From the outset, I have been most impressed with the quality of people in this organization. The advisors here truly care about their clients and give advice freely. I've never seen that until I came to MassMutual.

Cons

If you aren't ready to run a business and the risks associated with it, don't join.

Keep continuing with the mentorship programs. Have more bonding events for new hires.

Retirement Specialist

Pros

Ability to work from home; professional colleagues who are experts in their field.

Cons

Compensation not as great as some competitors.

Review

Pros

Great Employer great location nice

Cons

none at this time, great employer

Finance Advisor

Current Employee - Financial Advisor  in  Newport, RI (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Newport, RI (US)

Pros

No Pros were found. You have to pay to work in this company.

Cons

Too much lies are involved. I was certified for life&health insurance, series 7, and series 66, however, they still want me to only sell an whole life insurance product.

Flexible Projects & Friendly Culture

Former Employee - Current Project Coordinator  in  Addison, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Current Project Coordinator in Addison, TX (US)

Pros

Had a great relationship with my boss that allowed me to provide him with criticism and ideas for new projects. Gave me creative and flexible control over projects as long as I met deadlines. Supported my decisions and encouraged my interests. Very positive workplace and coworkers support each other.

Cons

Can be somewhat hectic, demanding and uncomfortable. Requires communication with clients who are rude and disrespectful. Tedious work but rewarding when finished.

Offer more internship opportunities at local offices and more feedback to interns.

Good People

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in New York, NY (US)

Pros

People are friendly and want to see you succeed. If you have the patience, you can do quite well.

Cons

Salary will be dependent on how well you can sell.

Stuck in a Time Warp

Former Employee - Marketing
    Former Employee - Marketing

Pros

The company is in a strong financial position, with decent pay and bonuses generally pay out at the target. Because they are mutually held they don't have the same pressures as a public company. It's a slow moving industry and company so you won't see a lot of change or really any change.

Cons

If you don't live in the Springfield area and have not worked in the Life Insurance industry this is not the place for you. The culture is stuck in a time warp. The CEO has only ever worked at MassMutual and has the blinders of 'doing it the same old way' which is held across the company. They recognize the need to become more innovative and flexible and have been recruiting from the outside for some key hires. Candidates realize quickly that this is a painful environment that has no appetite for change -- you are pushed down if you try to move outside the boundaries... to the point you are talked to about 'assimilating'.

There is a reason last year's salary.com survey showed them as having the highest turnover of any company.... very few who come in new stay for very long.

Worked for MassMutual? Contribute to the Community!