MasterCard

MasterCard Reviews

Updated Apr 18, 2014

MasterCard President and CEO Ajay Banga

Ajay Banga

Pros:
  • "Very good environment and good work life balance"
    in 34 reviews
  • "Good benefits especially for employees with families"
    in 16 reviews
Cons:
  • "MasterCard HR tries to promote work/life balance"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Everyone under middle management is expected to work "more than 40 hours" per week"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Watch out for "queen bee" in LAC

not important (Current Employee)
Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat people to work with at the middle management & lower level.

People generally excited to go to work in most departments

Cons"Queen Bee" is a typical example of mobbing and playing political games in the work place, everyone fears for their job in that department. Very unhealthy work place to be in.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf changing the corporate culture is a mandate coming from the top, please take a strong look at the department in-charge of you're people.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Fantastic company to build a career!

Leader (Current Employee)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat culture and attitude by most of the workforce and management. Energetic and empowering CEO and Executive Committee that creates and gets involved in initiatives in a meaningful way.

ConsCompany went public in 2006 and it seems like there is till a remnant of the "country club" atmosphere. Some people are harder to motivate than others, but i suppose that goes for most workplaces in corporate America. Another potential con is career advancement opportunities depending on the department that you are in. The bigger the department the more opportunities, but also vice versa.

Advice to Senior ManagementPush people out of their comfort zones and hold them accountable for their actions and results. Reward the ones who go above and beyond to add meaningful value to their department and the company's bottom line.

There is no company that treats its employees worse

Business Leader (Current Employee)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat brand, good to have on your resume

ConsI have been with this company for years. This company changed from the best place to work at to the worse place within last 10 years, especially withing last 3 years.

Facts about working environment:
1. "Clear desk policy" You supposed to lock all of your papers in drawers before you leave. If you leave something on the table that you get warning, after 3 warnings your are fired
2. Health insurance is very expensive with very low coverage and huge deductible that you need to pay before anything will be covered. Company covers only 50% of price vs 70-80% as other companies do.
3. There is no free coffee/tea stations in main building. If you need a drink you had to buy from the stations that sell drinks.
4. Cafeteria is very expensive and you can only use MasterCard to purchase anything, no cash or other cards accepted. Guests or interviewed people who come for the entire day often are unable to eat.
5. Business attire policy. If you want to wear jeans on Fridays, than you have to pay $40 for a month ( 4 -5 Fridays).
6. Company no more has any holiday’s parties, including Christmas because it is expensive.
7. All printers said on double side printing in b/w. Its very annoying to change setting each time toy need to have one side printing.
8. Everybody needs to work in the office regardless of weather conditions. HR send out a letter saying that if you want to stay at work while bad snowfall that you have to take a day off.
9. You cannot buy any expansive office supplies or working tools because everything should be cheap. If you really need something, you should buy it yourself.
10. There is a company gym facilities, you have to pay $25 a month.
11. Lost badge- $25
11. Everybody works on old heavy Dell computers.
12. There are very strict subordination policies in terms of what you can do and cannot depending on your level

Recently MC moved all US employees in a different building across the street.
Half of the floor is now occupied while another half is under heavy construction. People who sit next to construction should every day smell dust, chemicals and work while hearing drilling, sawing and screwing. People complained about working conditions, health issuers and destructive noise.
No HR or higher management tried to resolve the issue. None of the top managers sit next to construction at this moment.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk MC President Ajay Banga to sit next to construction area.

MasterCard is a great place to work because the diverse technologies we work with in a given year exceed most careers

Technical Consultant (Current Employee)
O'Fallon, MO (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWorking at MasterCard (Operations & Technologies Headquarters) is exciting due to the many opportunities that come about in a technology company. There are always changes to our infrastructure and we're constantly pushing the envelope with new and exciting adoption (or creation of) technologies.

What I mean to say is that it is clear how many parts of the Technology Organization of MasterCard, in just a 2 year span, an Operations employee (Analyst through Sr. Professional) will have established a firm working knowledge of many different industry leading products, software or technology types that will decorate their resume beyond what many might achieve in their entire career.

ConsThe only 2 Cons I've heard around the office are really these:

1) Due to the high pressure demands for rapid development or fast turn around on various projects, many find themselves overwhelmed. It certainly isn't a workplace for the meek (though I personally enjoy the pressure, it drives me personally).

2) Appreciation is lacking for those that burst with initiative and improvement efforts that change the company for the good. I've been witness to several cases where an employee has improved a process or business practice that has caused a financial savings greater than that employee's salary (in a few cases these savings are realized annually).

Advice to Senior ManagementFirst, If I could share some things with upper management it would be to work on communication across the different parts of the organization when it comes to product purchasing and development efforts. Many times I find 2 teams that don't work together are sometimes spending even Millions of dollars attempting to solve the same business requirement(s). If they knew such projects were underway, the 2nd one in the pool might be able to leverage the advancements (and investments) made by the first team tackling the issue. This might be achieved by enacting a policy that asks teams to:

1) Post the name & description of the effort they're working on in a searchable forum (say our SharePoint site for example) and

2) That teams seeking to start an effort on a topic first search that forum to see if anyone else is already under way.

Second, Instruct Middle Management to take better initiatives with the HEART award system for their own employees when they do something that really moves the needle. It's ok if these awards come from a manager instead of a peer or other employee.

On a journey of transition

Business Leader (Current Employee)
O'Fallon, MO (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 8 years

ProsMasterCard has a very competitive benefits package, base pay is average, but performance is recognized via end of year bonus quite well. Opportunities for advancement as a people manager are plentiful for those with a keen acumen of IT-to-business value and good management skills. For those on a purely technical career path, opportunities for advancement *can* be plentiful. However you'll need to be very adaptable and not tied to just one technology or job function. Otherwise, it's possible to reach a block point where further advancement within a given discipline isn't possible.

The workforce at MasterCard have a great community spirit. Whether it's through the business resource groups (Women's Leadership Network, Young Professionals, PRIDE, Technology Leadership Network, etc.) or through involvement with the United Way and Junior Achievement the people of MasterCard do a lot of fantastic things together.

The campus is nice, including a cafeteria, gym, and a few gaming areas. Internal programs for computer based training on programs like PCI, ITIL, and Six-Sigma as well as opportunities to participate on tiger-team type functions are easily available should you have the time or inclination to want them.

Commercially, the company is doing fantastic. Internally the operations world is in a state of transition. As MasterCard continues to push for deeper connections direct to the consumer that will call for an adaptation of their IT Operations and Technology staffing and mindset.

ConsWork load can be INTENSE for those wanting to advance their career. You will not find much opportunity here if you're only interested in coming in and doing an 8 hour day with an hour lunch in the middle.

Due to a focus on the consumer, MasterCard has several initiatives rushing to market in parallel and as such require delivery of IT Service and Operational support at a rapid pace. Though the company is operating that way at the top, IT staffing and funding decisions aren't based around that same mantra. For people managers who identify a staffing gap, it's often only after a process *breaks* that the business case is given merit.

The campus is nice, however it's going through some changes. Due to space constraints a "cube restack" is changing the cubicle configuration to a smaller, less private cube. There are collaborative "pod" configurations as well. BUT ultimately if you're a people manager requiring privacy or a technical person who requires distraction-free working conditions you'll find them in short supply. However, they do offer an alternative workplace program for tele-working.

It's disappointing that the gym and cafeteria aren't subsidized. Though convenient, the cafeteria food becomes pretty repetitive and the pricing doesn't provide a satisfaction that you've gotten what you paid for. The gym again is incredibly convenient, but can be very crowded during peak usage, especially if you have a short window to get your workout in. For the monthly price paid (with no discount options for full year or contract based pricing) the gym waters down the value of having it on site.

Because the company is doing so well and driving so hard with card-holder focused initiatives there is a distinct lack of resources. Both from a staffing perspective, as well as training and tool funding. The intense pressure to outsource operational level tasks all while maintaining the same ops tempo has lead to challenges internally in quality requiring more time and pressure on deliverable schedules.

The big question is would I recommend this company to others? That answer for me is still a yes. Of course there are challenges, but in today's IT world I don't really know of any opportunities in the local area that don't have those in some form or another. If MasterCard is still in exactly the same place it is now five years in the future, maybe that answer changes. However, I'm looking forward to the opportunity to both influence and watch to see if that change happens.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can't have your IT "cake" and eat it too. Though people managers and individual contributors continue to attempt to deliver IT services at the same intensity and pace of technology behemoths like Google and Amazon, we will never ultimately be as successful as we could be as we just aren't staffed and funded like that. To deliver core like services at commodity like pricing requires a different mindset at the operations and engineering level. Increased funding for in-sourced rather than out-sourced subject matter expertise including training and conference opportunities would allow MasterCard to deliver the same code, solutions, and designs cheaper, quicker, and at a higher quality than many of the third-party vendors we contract with today.

As the CEO of MasterCard speaks internally about how we should run our business, we need to hold ALL our management chain accountable for living those same values.

Great company and experience but needs younger people

Summer Intern (Current Employee)
Purchase, NY (US)

I have been working at MasterCard as an intern for less than a year

ProsLot of great people to learn from- and a lifetime of expertise in the payments industry

ConsCan feel a bit outdated at times- needs younger blood

Advice to Senior ManagementDoing a great job reforming the college recruiting process! Keep expanding to schools, and aim high!

Great Company - Have been here four years and love the change and impact company is having....

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGrowth company that provides a lot of opportunity

ConsCompany is going through major transformation, pace of change is fast...you have to have to want to be part of the future.....

Relaxed culture, not many opportunities for advancement

I have been working at MasterCard full-time

Prosdecent work life balance
possibility to work from home
friendly people

Consno coaching
"old" company
no upward mobility
bonuses are a joke

Advice to Senior Managementfire half the people and establish a real performance driven culture with clear performance goals and significant bonuses

Good company to work for excellent benefits

Leader (Former Employee)

I worked at MasterCard full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood benefits. Mostly very good hard working people. Depending on your role and the people you work with it is a great place to work.

ConsToo much political wrangling. As in all large organizations the person you work for can make all the difference. Management can make it very difficult for you to advance if they want too which needs to change if they want to keep quality individuals.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure your employees have a real chance for moving throughout the company and remove barriers that allow current managers to stop that movement

Good for learning, but don´t stay too long.

Marketing Professional (Current Employee)
São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Great brand to work for
- Great brand DNA
- Well known company
- Trying to be an innovative company

Cons- Poor management
- Decisions taken by emotions not by data analysis
- Too many processes that impact results
- Very political company
- Very small opportunities to change areas

Worked for MasterCard? Contribute to the Community!

MasterCard Videos

MasterCard – Why Work for Us?

NOT JUST SHAPING THE FUTURE. CHANGING IT. Here at MasterCard, we work at the heart of commerce. While our people around the world may be engaged in any number of interesting and exciting projects at any given time, we… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MasterCard reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for MasterCard CEO Ajay Banga. All 227 reviews are posted anonymously by MasterCard employees.