MasterCard

MasterCard Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

MasterCard President and CEO Ajay Banga

Ajay Banga

Pros
  • The company also has a great culture and most of its employees try to have a good work-life balance(in 39 reviews)

• Good benefits, good pay, good global exposure but still very beaurocratic and "meeting heavy"(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Forget about work life balance that they preach on paper but do not put in practice(in 9 reviews)

• There is a barrier with middle management - the top is visible and engaged but info stops in the middle(in 9 reviews)

Senior Analyst

Senior Analyst (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsCompetitive salary and bonus packages, flexible working hours. A lot of learning opportunities.

ConsWork life balance can be challenging.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow employees to elect MasterCard stock in the 401K program

Good place to work but sliding backwards

(Current Employee)

ProsGood pay, including good bonus that is always paid. Fast pace. Good time off. Ability (even pushed) to move around and try different areas. Looks great on a resume since everyone knows MC.

ConsWhile pay is good raises don't exists. So if you are looking to work here get every penny up front because you won't even keep up with inflation. Health coverage SUCKS!!!! It's very expensive and low coverage. Most of the Execs came up in the company so they micro manage because they did all the jobs before. Red tape everywhere. They are looking to outsource everything in IT that isn't the latest/coolest thing. It's leading to the basics taking forever, and thus costing more, and ironically, leaving less money for the latest/coolest things. Purchase (business) and St. Louis (IT) don't work well together. Ajay says we are an IT company yet he rarely comes to the IT headquarters. If we are an IT company Ajay should move to St. Louis and establish that as the headquarters.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo something about salary range penitration. You are ok now but turn-over will start to really hurt as average pay moves back to the pack. Fix the healthcare package.

Good work environment and work life balance

Director (Current Employee) São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

ProsVery good environment and good work life balance

ConsIt is not meritocratic, slow decision process, technology development is too cost, slow time to market

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

New to MasterCard

Senior Professional, Financial Systems (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsVery professional
    Colleagues are very friendly, approachable and helpful
    Objectives set for me on day 1 with an induction plan organised
    Highly supportive line manager
    Senior dept manager very visible and approachable

ConsNo cons to comment on

Advice to Senior ManagementNone so far. All in all a very positive experience for me in my first two weeks.
    Any rating provided by me is done so on the basis that I have only been here 1.5 weeks so unable to fully evalute certain areas such as Career Opportunities

Excellent

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Purchase, NY (US)

ProsEnjoyed my time work at MasterCard

ConsLayoffs have occurred over the years

Never bored

Business Leader (Current Employee) O'Fallon, MO (US)

ProsI get to work with emerging technologies. If you do not like the area you are working in, there are many others to advance your career.

ConsFast paced. Everything is needed yesterday. If you cannot Multi-task, this is not the pace for you.

Software Engineer

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

Pros- Lovely office
    - very friendly and helpful colleagues
    - flexibility to work from home is great
    - decent enough salary and benefits
    - lots of scope for learning

Cons- long hours
    - antiquated and dysfunctional release process
    - not developer friendly e.g. machines are sub-standard, no admin access on own laptop
    - lack of recognition for extra work

Advice to Senior ManagementStart recognizing employees for their extra work
    Make the promotion process more transparent

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Project Manager

Project Manager (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsOverall a good company to work. Excellent benefits. Great CEO.

ConsLots of internal politics. Manager act like a demi-god and they can make or break your career.

Senior Technical Consultant

(Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsBefore they went public they were a very good company - they cared about the employees and their core systems to support the business.

People were very hard working. Pay and benefits were great.

ConsEmployees who remain technical over 50 years old are generally treated poorly and have few opportunities for continued professional development.. One manger told me "if they were smart they'd get into management so they get what they deserve".

Advice to Senior ManagementChange your focus back to creating and maintaining high quality software systems. Fairly treat employees, particularly the long term employees that still have technical expertise in the systems.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

It's hard to reach the first with no heart

Business Leader (Former Employee) São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

Pros- Relevant budget
    - Very nice office / overall benefits package
    - Strong brand
    - International exposure, possibility to international reallocation
    - Growing industry

Cons- No inspirational leadership. Cold environment, lots of conflicts
    - Too bureaucratic
    - No incentive to the "new", out of box ideas doesn't have real chances to be implemented.
    - Politics, politics, politics.
    - Where's "Priceless" internally?

Advice to Senior ManagementCaution - employees are not motivated and don't see recognition.

Worked for MasterCard? Contribute to the Community!