MasterCard

MasterCard Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

MasterCard President and CEO Ajay Banga

Ajay Banga

Pros
  • The company also has a great culture and most of its employees try to have a good work-life balance(in 39 reviews)

• Good benefits, good pay, good global exposure but still very beaurocratic and "meeting heavy"(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Forget about work life balance that they preach on paper but do not put in practice(in 9 reviews)

• There is a barrier with middle management - the top is visible and engaged but info stops in the middle(in 9 reviews)

Wierd

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice office location at Purchase, great cafeteria. Offices could use updating - its like a step back into the 70's

ConsLike most large firms it doesnt live what it preaches. Poor management skills are tolerated if the person is senior because it would cost to much to fire them but people further down the food chain are expendable. If you have tenure you are less likely to be fired for poor performance but instead shuffled around the company into a new role

Good Company

Consultant (Current Employee) O'Fallon, MO (US)

ProsFast Paced, Good work environment, if you work hard you get rewarded. Good tuition reimbursement, pays for certifications and training.

ConsYou may have to work overtime, not everyone works hard.

Jul 22, 2014

Thanks for your review - we are happy that you gave some insight into our culture!

Excellent company with a dynamic CEO who has led the company thru significant growth and positive cultural change.

Vice President Senior Business Leader (Current Employee) Purchase, NY (US)

ProsSolid business model with focus on innovation, emerging markets, financial inclusion, merchants, goverments, issuers and consumers.

ConsOverall, excellent place to work, but sometimes organization is hard to navigate despite being relatively small with 8,000 employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on innovation, emerging markets, financial inclusion, merchants, goverments, issuers and consumers.

Jul 22, 2014

Thanks for your comprehensive and positive review - an insider perspective is valuable!
  1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

Business Leader (Current Employee) Purchase, NY (US)

ProsAdvancement opportunities exist if you are proactive in finding them and building your network internally. The company has clearly laid out its strategy going forward and has been well received by our customers and shareholders.

ConsNone to report at this time

About the job...

Account Management (Current Employee)

ProsI find a great live/work balance here at MasterCard; I start early and end early...usually 7AM - 4PM. The benefits are top notch with access to a gym and great medical and the company is doing very well overall.

ConsOn the down side, there is a lot of structure that come along with a bigger, public company...meaning lots of red-tape and reporting to managers.

Jul 22, 2014

People join Cultures..great tips from an insider - thanks!

Summer Intern

Summer Intern (Former Employee) O'Fallon, MO (US)

ProsMasterCard really values their interns. I was given a legitimate independent project, the results of which were used even after the internship was over. There are many internship activities throughout the summer, such as sitting in the MasterCard box at a Cardinals game, volunteering at Junior Achievement Finance Park, and various "lunch and learns" with executives. The internship is one of the most professionally designed programs I have seen. MasterCard provides housing and transportation for interns not from the area which is a huge perk. MasterCard uses the internship program as a pipeline for full-time hires. I was even given the opportunity to work remotely during the school year.

ConsInterns in MTO and IPS don't get to interact much at work.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat office culture. You can tell innovation is a priority.

Great place to work

ProsDynamic, interesting work. Solid management team in place and a great outlook for the company

ConsMasterCard could do better hiring straight out of college/grad school. Most employees have significant industry experience that would be complimented by new blood.

Jul 15, 2014

Thanks for your feedback - especially on hiring emerging professionals!

Satisified

Business Leader (Current Employee) Purchase, NY (US)

ProsGreat work life balance and corporate culture

ConsThe company and its people are very kind and professional. Great company.

Jul 15, 2014

Your review is appreciated and will be helpful for others - thanks!

Middle Management will make or break the future of plans of this company if they don't take good care of their reports

Project Manager (Current Employee) O Fallon, MO (US)

ProsGreat Benefits, Occasionally interesting projects if you are in the right team especially if project is a business imperative.
    Great Top Leadership especially CEO. He is taking this company places. If only an ounce of some of his awesomeness can trickle down to the mid level management.

ConsToo much cronyism. Make that extreme cronyism. It's done so openly it stinks.
    Forget about work life balance that they preach on paper but do not put in practice.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop making your friends into people managers when they lack the ability to managers of technical teams or people managers period. People managers are critical to building the people if they can't it cost the company more money but lost trust and lost team moral.

Jul 10, 2014

Your feedback and candor is important to us - thanks for sharing.

Challenging but positive.

Senior Business Leader (Former Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsProfitable. Good salary. Interesting mix of Financial Services Sector and Technology Sector issues. Growing business / sector.

ConsToo many pre-IPO legacy issues which permeate the company's DNA. Brand suffers against Visa's dominant position (a similar comparison is Pepsi versus Coke's dominance). Payments is a very 'quirky' sector which retains a seemingly large proportion of quirky behaviours / styles. Very US-centric management.

Worked for MasterCard? Contribute to the Community!