MasterCard

MasterCard Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

MasterCard President and CEO Ajay Banga

Ajay Banga

Pros
  • The company also has a great culture and most of its employees try to have a good work-life balance (in 39 reviews)

• Good benefits, good pay, good global exposure but still very beaurocratic and "meeting heavy" (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Forget about work life balance that they preach on paper but do not put in practice (in 9 reviews)

• There is a barrier with middle management - the top is visible and engaged but info stops in the middle (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Middle Management will make or break the future of plans of this company if they don't take good care of their reports

Project Manager (Current Employee) O Fallon, MO (US)

ProsGreat Benefits, Occasionally interesting projects if you are in the right team especially if project is a business imperative.
    Great Top Leadership especially CEO. He is taking this company places. If only an ounce of some of his awesomeness can trickle down to the mid level management.

ConsToo much cronyism. Make that extreme cronyism. It's done so openly it stinks.
    Forget about work life balance that they preach on paper but do not put in practice.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop making your friends into people managers when they lack the ability to managers of technical teams or people managers period. People managers are critical to building the people if they can't it cost the company more money but lost trust and lost team moral.

Jul 10, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Your feedback and candor is important to us - thanks for sharing.

Loved the work - but no life balance in the data warehouse!

Data Warehouse Analyst (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsGreat co workers, nice environment, meaningful work. Good benefits!

ConsTo advance - you really have to be part of the "in crowd". Once a part of the in crowd - standard HR rules do not apply. Many managers do not have management experience and policies are not applied fairly. Friends are given good assignments and allowed to "work" from home on Fridays. Several managers are known throughout the co to have unreal expectations of their reports and are more focused on their own advancement than supporting the team. Routine 60 - 70 hour weeks are standard under some managers. Complaints to HR go unresolved.

Advice to Senior ManagementTruly review management practices.

Challenging but positive.

Senior Business Leader (Former Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsProfitable. Good salary. Interesting mix of Financial Services Sector and Technology Sector issues. Growing business / sector.

ConsToo many pre-IPO legacy issues which permeate the company's DNA. Brand suffers against Visa's dominant position (a similar comparison is Pepsi versus Coke's dominance). Payments is a very 'quirky' sector which retains a seemingly large proportion of quirky behaviours / styles. Very US-centric management.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good people, nice place and professional attitudes.

Project Manager (Current Employee) O Fallon, MO (US)

ProsRelax work environment with great people to work with.

ConsYou have to like the Mid West to work here.

Advice to Senior ManagementI do not have anything negative to say about MasterCard.

Jun 27, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Your experience is a great testimony to why we were ranked so highly as Best Places to work in STL - Thanks!

MasterCard is a great company!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Purchase, NY (US)

ProsUnder Ajay's leadership MasterCard has become more diverse. There has been a growth in women and ethnicity within the Purchase location. However, I would still like to see more women in Exectives Roles. It also offers a good work-life balance.

ConsSome managers lack leadership skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the constructive feedback that is given.

Jun 27, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Thanks so much for your candid response!

At MasterCard...Everything they told me is true and that's awesome!

ProsMasterCard is going through incredible change and that makes it a very exciting place to work. Innovation and thinking outside of the box is highly encouraged so all employees can make a difference and contribute to the MasterCard difference.

ConsAs with all change there is some resistance.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue building a creative and fun culture while retaining the highly valued culture of caring about our employees and customers

Jun 27, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Great feedback - we are highly focused on doing well while doing good!

Growing company with new opportunities for career growth.

Business Leader (Current Employee) Purchase, NY (US)

ProsHiring new employees that bring a new perspective to the company is helping to create a better culture. The company offers challenging work, a good corporate culture and provides a great work environment. There are growing opportunities in new areas of the business.

ConsFunding can be limited for projects and long work hours and sometimes unrealistic expectations can make it stressful. There are some bad managers you wouldn't want to work for but it seems to be improving very slowly.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold managers accountable for coaching and supporting their employees

Jun 30, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Good experience of working with mastercard

Vice President (Current Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsThought leader,good leadership teams,gives freedom to work,good work enviroment

Conssometime tends to be too centralized,less flexible and not to sales focused

Advice to Senior Managementfaster,nimbler,simpler and more sales and customer focus

Jun 18, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Thank you - we appreciate your openness and honesty!

Excellent company with a strong vision for the future

Senior Business Leader (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsMasterCard has strong focus on employees and provides excellent opportunities for future growth. MasterCard's continued success in the card payment business will ensure a rewarding environment for new employees.

ConsMany career development opportunities tends to be centered around corporate headquarters as you reach more senior roles. However, MasterCard truly isn't that much different than most major corporations with a centralized headquarters.

Good place to land

Vice President (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsDeep resources and expertise to leverage for success

ConsLarge organization can be daunting to access

Worked for MasterCard? Contribute to the Community!